Wood Fillers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John on the Wirral

Established Member
Reaction score
I am planking a small static model boat wiil need to produce suitable wood fillers to "caulk" the joints. I have never managed to mix fillers of the correct colour. If I carefully collect up the fine sanding dust to mix with what? I have tried PVA glue but can never get the colour dense enough. Has anybody any ideas on how to make fillers from wood dust or are there proprietary brands out there?

If the filler isnt required to do much other than look the part you may have some luck with soft waxes used to repair wood, many types out there, i use briwaxs offering to fill brad holes in oak skirting and architrave, you get a wide variety of colours/ shades. its not structural but good for acheiving varied shades to match wood grain

https://www.toolstation.com/briwax-wax-repair-sticks/p62562only really good for holes/ gaps in the face of wood not for building up corners or vast holes, like i said i used them for brad holes, easy enough to scrape back out if you dont like the look or it doesnt do the job.

Many thanks for that suggestion. Never gave that a thought but I do seem to remember being given a dark brown stick - like a wax crayon- when having a large wall unit delivered and they knocked the corners off in the '70s.

Back