Stenciling on wood - mistakes were made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewpetty

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm a novice and beginner. I'm making a giant 6-foot ruler with which you can measure your kids and mark it instead of using the wardrobe door. Simple plank with markings and numbers, and the kids names.
I got a planed white wood plank (probably pine), stained it with Oak stain, and then drew the cm and inch markers with permanent marker.
I got the stencils of the numbers, stuck them down, and used a sponge dabber to apply acrylic paint. Unfortunately the paint bled under the stencil and feathered into the wood, so I sanded the paint off, re-stained as necessary, and thought about what to do.
I was going to finish the whole thing with polyurethane anyway so I applied one coat of that and let it dry. Then I stuck the stencils down again. I'd read a tip online about applying a thin layer of PVA glue mixed 2:1 with water to seal the stencil to prevent bleeding, so I did that.
Once that was dry, I applied the acrylic paint again using the sponge dabber. Once that was dry, I removed the stencils and was disappointed to see that the paint peeled away with the PVA leaving nothing behind on the wood. I am assuming that the polyurethane prevented the PVA and paint from sticking.
So now I have the ruler with index markings and a coat of polyurethane. What can I do to apply the number stencils? Do I need to sand the polyurethane to make it stick? Any tips about preventing stencil bleed?
Grateful for any help,
Matthew

not sure your asking in the best place, I'd search youtube. also i think a sponge dabber would tend to push paint under the stencil, maybe experiment with several light coats of spray paint?

We have a 13 month old grandson and I've been thinking about a measuring stick on one of the door frames.
Buy a self adhesive tape and stick it to the plank or batten. You could try a dress-makers tape or even a standard 2m steel tape measure and liquid nails it into a shallow groove routed into your plank or batten.
This one is 1.5m, which would get you out of trouble for a good few years. Tap MEASURING BODY Fabric Dress Makers TAILOR SEWING RULER Soft Flat 60" /150cm | eBay

Colin

We have a 13 month old grandson and I've been thinking about a measuring stick on one of the door frames.
Buy a self adhesive tape and stick it to the plank or batten. You could try a dress-makers tape or even a standard 2m steel tape measure and liquid nails it into a shallow groove routed into your plank or batten.
This one is 1.5m, which would get you out of trouble for a good few years. Tap MEASURING BODY Fabric Dress Makers TAILOR SEWING RULER Soft Flat 60" /150cm | eBay

Colin
functionally that would work, but I assume he is trying to make something that looks like a giant wooden ruler as both decoration and functional measure

Good job for having a go, sounds like a cool thing, we just thinking about moving house and wondering how to transport the ‘height wall’ from the old kitchen ;)

Stick on numbers sounds like the answer to me.

Try applying some sanding sealer, sanding back lightly, then paint.
It’s worked for me in the past.
Try it on an offcut first.

Letraset-style rub down lettering?
I have used this on various things and it works really well. Loads of different fonts and sizes available. Needs a decent surface so I would use a sealer first then light rub down with fine wet and dry, maybe 1100 grit. You are just trying to make sure there are no nibs, you could also use a fine scotch brite pad. Once the letters are on then spray lacquer over them. Hobby craft do a range of acid free spray lacquers that are very good for this. Self adhesive vinyl letters are also good, but will stand slightly proud of the surface, same application method. Just depends what look you are after. If you are wanting it to look like a giant old fashioned wooden ruler, then I would say letraset would be the best bet. Depending how big the numbers are, and your level of confidence you could draw them on with a fine ink pen. I use these to retouch clock dials, just make sure you have a coat of sealer or lacquer on first so they don't bleed into the wood.

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'm trying to make a ruler that looks like a giant school wooden ruler Here's what I'm going to do. I already have the stencils made of the numbers and names.
  1. Sand the plank with 200 or so, to make a surface in the polyurethane for the paint to stick to. Wipe or vacuum.
  2. Spray back of stencils with repositionable artwork adhesive (already got).
  3. Apply stencils to ruler. Roll and press down firmly.
  4. Carefully mask areas I don't want to paint with tape and newspaper.
  5. Use 3 or 4 coats of spray paint on stencils.
  6. When dry, remove stencils carefully.
  7. Ensure no nibs.
  8. Final coat(s) of polyurethane.
That should avoid bleeding, and make the paint stick.

Thanks for all help!

Back