Who is in and who is out?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacob":1ops1opg said:
Cheshirechappie":1ops1opg said:
It's government's job to govern. Just because it got a different instruction to the one it was complacently expecting from the referendum doesn't absolve them of responsibility to govern. Actually, whilst it is in a partial state of flux since the PM has stated his intention to resign when a new leader is in chosen, government is still intact and functional. The opposition isn't, but that's a separate issue.
The opposition is looking more intact than the govt at the moment, now we have dumped the defectors!

Jacob, you owe me a new keyboard! I spat my coffee out laughing so much when I read this, it was such a hoot. Labour is in disarray. It is like the Monty Python parrot. It is no more. It has gone to meet its maker.

RogerS":3oucpemo said:
phil.p":3oucpemo said:
The Brexiteers aren't in a position to do much really, though, are they? Just because they won their side of the referendum they don't move straight into government - it's a referendum, not a coup. Realistically there should be an election, although it would be a total shambles as things stand atm.

That's not true. It was a vote between two opposing viewpoints. To gee people up into voting Leave and then turn round and shrug your shoulders is unforgivable.

But what exactly does anyone think they can do? As I said - it wasn't a coup, you can't be expecting them to seize power, exactly. They can only leave it to the government, surely?

Paddy Roxburgh":27t0ztmm said:
indeed even some of the leading Brexiters have been a bit disturbed by this like Baroness Warsi.

or you could even say she thought she was going to damage her reputation by being on the losing side and switched........

Cheshirechappie":lt4zbdtd said:
custard":lt4zbdtd said:
Indeed point one of Article 50 states that, "Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements", and our "constitutional requirements" are crystal clear, sovereignty in this matter rests with parliament and not with the referendum. That appears to be the key fact, the way this country works is that we all vote for representatives to parliament who then vote on our behalf, and a referendum doesn't actually body swerve around that requirement.

So it looks as though the referendum itself doesn't have any actual legal weight, it was if you like an opinion poll, a testing of the water, an opportunity for the people to express their thoughts. But to have the weight of law it's now up to MPs to factor the referendum vote alongside other evidence and their individual consciences regarding what is in the best interest of the UK and then vote accordingly, and then it's for the Lords to accept or reject that vote. So if an MP believed the referendum vote was corrupted by inaccurate campaign promises, or that they thought many people had subsequently changed their minds, or they thought the referendum result was plain wrong for the UK, then they would be perfectly entitled to risk the wrath of their constituency voters and vote remain.

As Geoffrey Robertson QC says, backed up incidentally in a letter to The Times this morning from Charles Flint QC, another leading constitutional lawyer, "this has a long way to run yet".

However - against that - is that a very clear majority (small, but nonetheless clear) instructed Parliament that the will of the people was to leave the EU. For Parliament to ignore the will of the people would be pretty well impossible, despite what constitutional lawyers may or may not say. A referendum is a means for the government to seek instruction from the people - it's now got its instruction.

The challenge for politicians is now to find an acceptable compromise that satisfies the instruction from the majority, as far as possible pacifies the large minority that voted for the status quo (including the people of Scotland and Northern Ireland), and extracts the UK from the EU with minimal damage to the economic positions of both. From news reports so far, it does seem that the saner heads in both London and on the continent are looking for ways to do just that.

I think it's unlikely, but it's far from impossible or even improbable.

There are plenty of examples where MP's vote against the general run of public opinion, the death penalty is one (every poll I've ever seen shows a majority of British voters are pro hanging), the question of Northern Ireland during the troubles was another (again, all the polls were crystal clear, hand Northern Ireland back to Eire and bring the troops home). And in the eyes of the law a referendum is nothing more than a big opinion poll.

The second thing is that every politician is told they have to balance three frequently conflicted positions when they vote; their conscience, their constituency, and their party. No mention on this list of a referendum result or the national will, and I don't see how it trumps the other three.

I haven't done the parliamentary maths but you could have a situation where many Labour MP's say the position of my party was remain, so that's how I'll vote. We already know that's the instruction that will be handed down by the Lib Dem whips (or the "recommendation" in an open vote). Then there's all the Scottish and Northern Ireland MP's, presumably they'll also vote remain. And what about MP's from say London or Brighton or central Manchester constituencies, which were in favour of remain? Every chance they'll vote remain too. Then you've got MP's who are facing retirement, deselection, or a simple wipe out in the next election; we know that about two thirds of parliamentary MP's were in favour of remain going into this, so what's to stop them exiting their parliamentary careers on a principled high by voting their conscience?

And that's just the Commons. Beyond that there's the Lords to consider, where Lib Dems are rather more numerous and where they've already demonstrated in the last year their willingness to go against a democratically supported vote from the Commons.

Furthermore, all these factors will have a real bearing on the exit negotiations, watering it down and down, rowing back from promise after promise, in order to head off any risk of a parliamentary revolt.

Like I say, on balance it's unlikely that the referendum will be disregarded. But it's far from impossible and there's absolutely no legal reason why it has to be upheld.

phil.p":2q5qypd1 said:
RogerS":2q5qypd1 said:
phil.p":2q5qypd1 said:
The Brexiteers aren't in a position to do much really, though, are they? Just because they won their side of the referendum they don't move straight into government - it's a referendum, not a coup. Realistically there should be an election, although it would be a total shambles as things stand atm.

That's not true. It was a vote between two opposing viewpoints. To gee people up into voting Leave and then turn round and shrug your shoulders is unforgivable.

But what exactly does anyone think they can do? As I said - it wasn't a coup, you can't be expecting them to seize power, exactly. They can only leave it to the government, surely?

They could have prepared a plan as to how they saw things pan out, offered it to the Govt. After all, the Brexiters were the ones clamouring for us to leave. They shouldn't just sit back and wash their hands...which is what they are doing.

custard":1l96ppp3 said:
Cheshirechappie":1l96ppp3 said:
custard":1l96ppp3 said:
Indeed point one of Article 50 states that, "Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements", and our "constitutional requirements" are crystal clear, sovereignty in this matter rests with parliament and not with the referendum. That appears to be the key fact, the way this country works is that we all vote for representatives to parliament who then vote on our behalf, and a referendum doesn't actually body swerve around that requirement.

So it looks as though the referendum itself doesn't have any actual legal weight, it was if you like an opinion poll, a testing of the water, an opportunity for the people to express their thoughts. But to have the weight of law it's now up to MPs to factor the referendum vote alongside other evidence and their individual consciences regarding what is in the best interest of the UK and then vote accordingly, and then it's for the Lords to accept or reject that vote. So if an MP believed the referendum vote was corrupted by inaccurate campaign promises, or that they thought many people had subsequently changed their minds, or they thought the referendum result was plain wrong for the UK, then they would be perfectly entitled to risk the wrath of their constituency voters and vote remain.

As Geoffrey Robertson QC says, backed up incidentally in a letter to The Times this morning from Charles Flint QC, another leading constitutional lawyer, "this has a long way to run yet".

However - against that - is that a very clear majority (small, but nonetheless clear) instructed Parliament that the will of the people was to leave the EU. For Parliament to ignore the will of the people would be pretty well impossible, despite what constitutional lawyers may or may not say. A referendum is a means for the government to seek instruction from the people - it's now got its instruction.

The challenge for politicians is now to find an acceptable compromise that satisfies the instruction from the majority, as far as possible pacifies the large minority that voted for the status quo (including the people of Scotland and Northern Ireland), and extracts the UK from the EU with minimal damage to the economic positions of both. From news reports so far, it does seem that the saner heads in both London and on the continent are looking for ways to do just that.

I think it's unlikely, but it's far from impossible or even improbable.

There are plenty of examples where MP's vote against the general run of public opinion, the death penalty is one (every poll I've ever seen shows a majority of British voters are pro hanging YouGov...45 to 39 in favour...yes, a majority but hardly a large one), the question of Northern Ireland during the troubles was another (again, all the polls were crystal clear, Which polls ? As far as NI is concerned, in Sept 2015, 66% (of both Catholics and Protestants) wanted to stay in the UKhand Northern Ireland back to Eire and bring the troops home). And in the eyes of the law a referendum is nothing more than a big opinion poll.

RogerS":2uv129ao said:
phil.p":2uv129ao said:

Roger, - think you'll find the words 'politics' and 'manefesto' have some bearing on the situation! :D

stuartpaul":i50e7ixf said:
RogerS":i50e7ixf said:
phil.p":i50e7ixf said:

Roger, - think you'll find the words 'politics' and 'manefesto' have some bearing on the situation! :D

Manifesto...are you really trying to say that what the Leave camp were saying was not effectively a manifesto? If it wasn't then what exactly were they proposing...which, after all, is what a manifesto is.

It's a New World Order fellas: :shock:

Attachments

• boristrump2.jpg
    boristrump2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 455
RogerS":mnpb28hg said:
stuartpaul":mnpb28hg said:
RogerS":mnpb28hg said:

Manifesto...are you really trying to say that what the Leave camp were saying was not effectively a manifesto? If it wasn't then what exactly were they proposing...which, after all, is what a manifesto is.
Sorry Roger, - there should be an irony icon on this thread!

Of course it was a 'manifesto', - the problem is they were absolutely not in a position to deliver any of it as the leave campaign (and the remain come to that) had no power to do so. I suspect a number of voters have effectively been conned into voting for something that won't/can't be delivered against.

It would be rather nice if £350 million a week would be spent on the NHS but somehow I don't think it will together with the 'promise' to deliver against all current EU grants/spending.

I'm afraid the old 'how can you tell when a politician is lying' comes to the fore more so now than it ever has!

England is in such a mess.
Half time and one down.

I shouted 'GO ON MY SON' when Iceland scored & the bloke beside me says 'it was actually Sigthorśson that scored"...

:)

Attachments

• expenditure.jpg
    expenditure.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 358
The issue with the NHS is a complex one because clinical outcomes are pretty much always (generically speaking) improved with additional investment. The NHS could quite happily consume all public spending and still "need" more because of the above principle. It simply expands in it's quality and success of outcomes, proportional to the spending. The far more difficult question is how much is enough?

To bring that down to earth, my Missus had an anti cancer drug for 18 months that cost £1500 per jab and she had it every 3 weeks for that period. It's almost certainly (in combination with chemo therapy and surgery) saved her life. But wow, what a cost. I reckon she's cost our local acute hospital many tens of thousands all told. Boy am I glad of that funding decision. But where do you stop? What's ethical for one saved life versus another? My son has a bone disease and he's being treated at RNOH Stanmore. He gets treated because he qualifies but a recent spinal problem patient's family had to raise £40K to have the surgery because the NHS ruled his procedure too risky and therefore not "worthy". With additional funding, the quality envelope would probably net him in!

So, funding the NHS is a tightrope of immense balancing, ethics and political juggling and I for one don't envy anyone who has to make those calls. As an aside, from recent personal experience with my own family, I think despite the stresses and strains they clearly suffer, they are off the chart superb in my opinion. Wonderful, dedicated, decent human beings that do an amazing job in staggeringly difficult circumstances in many cases (A&E in particular).

Brexit leaders walking back on promises. ie they lied, while being paid by public funds. If you voted Leave on the basis of NHS funding or immigration they bought your vote with your money. We need a judicial review and then sanctions against those that lied - time to get some honesty into politics.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... -promises/

Brian

Random Orbital Bob":2dcmh5ak said:
The issue with the NHS is a complex one because clinical outcomes are pretty much always (generically speaking) improved with additional investment. The NHS could quite happily consume all public spending and still "need" more because of the above principle. It simply expands in it's quality and success of outcomes, proportional to the spending. The far more difficult question is how much is enough?

To bring that down to earth, my Missus had an anti cancer drug for 18 months that cost £1500 per jab and she had it every 3 weeks for that period. It's almost certainly (in combination with chemo therapy and surgery) saved her life. But wow, what a cost. I reckon she's cost our local acute hospital many tens of thousands all told. Boy am I glad of that funding decision. But where do you stop? What's ethical for one saved life versus another? My son has a bone disease and he's being treated at RNOH Stanmore. He gets treated because he qualifies but a recent spinal problem patient's family had to raise £40K to have the surgery because the NHS ruled his procedure too risky and therefore not "worthy". With additional funding, the quality envelope would probably net him in!

So, funding the NHS is a tightrope of immense balancing, ethics and political juggling and I for one don't envy anyone who has to make those calls. As an aside, from recent personal experience with my own family, I think despite the stresses and strains they clearly suffer, they are off the chart superb in my opinion. Wonderful, dedicated, decent human beings that do an amazing job in staggeringly difficult circumstances in many cases (A&E in particular).

Bob,

Glad to hear of the success with your wife & son.

Don't forget the current budget for the NHS divided by the population of England equates to £2,000 per head per annum ie assuming your son lives at home with you and is an only child ie there is three of you in the household. Your household is contributing the equivalent of £6,000 one way or another each and every year, regardless of whether you use the NHS that year or not.

Don't get me wrong the NHS is the best system of funding by far - but it is not free by any means to you or me.
I've been involved with the NHS for 30 years in voluntary roles - in my experience if you can make a case for specific treatment they do their very best to fund, one way or another, if the case stands up to scrutiny.

Brian

England out of Europe twice in 4 days.

Random Orbital Bob":25a0ofvc said:
My son has a bone disease and he's being treated at RNOH Stanmore.

Sorry to hear that, Bob - all the best to him.

Funny Hospital that. The X-ray dept there is on such a gradient its almost scary wheeling someone in a wheelchair. Its something I'll never forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back