Wall Tool Chest (potential WIP)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only just come across this post too - really really impressive design and execution there.

That veneer shooting board was interesting as well.

Without being morbid, down the line I'll bet a well heeled hobbyist would pay a good chunk of money for that as a complete item.

Fantastic work, very impressive.

Clever that you put the heavy lanes on the foldout side near the hinges, has the chest sagged at all? do you leave it closed when not in use?

I leave the chest closed when not in use so the sagging seems minimal. However the door has 3mm gap at the bottom which is probably due to the weight. However it all basically seems to be ok.
I suspect if someone ever flogged it would they strip out the tools and sell them separately, I suspect it's probably worth more that way. Hopefully that won't be required any time soon.
Owen

What a fantastic piece of work, you should be very proud. I have not been watching the projects section for a while so have only just seen this thread. I am in the process of building a wall hanging tool chest in my tiny (12'x10') workshop but it just does not compare to what you have achieved.

regards

Brian

I'm a little late to the party but wow, this is outstanding!

Party...Party....I'm a mate of John's, yeah John.... can I come in ? I've got this
Party 7 can.jpg

Is there room in the fantastic (I really mean it ..hic) cabinet for one of these er tools?
party 7 opner.jpg

On a slightly more serious note though.... I've made a few tool cabinets in recent years from cheap plywood and have struggled with spacial planning of it, more than the actual (cruder) fitting out and they are only two layers deep in places, ('cept 3 layers for drill bits on 3 loose blocks on one deep shelf, I know.... how many ways are there to drill a hole with a wheelbrace, ask Alf eh?). I think the hinged (from top) flap holding the planes was my worst decision as its soooo heavy can hardly lift it to access the smaller saws.

How did you decide the size of the case itself.....did you pile the tools up and calculate the volume thus finding the case size, or the reverse?
Wheelbraces and egg beaters, speciality planes, woodies, striking impliments, would a second door be an option for future expansion ? Hung from an additional side, opening out to the right.
The drawers, are they going to be fitted out as well ?, maybe one with a tiny cute widthways sliding tray?

Read a great article in Finewoodworking ....or was it in Popularwoodworking?....showing "French fitting" that maybe of interest to you.

Looking great and hope you're well, looking forward to reading your next upload....may it be soon =P~

Vicariously yours,
Dave

Attachments

• Party 7 can.jpg
    Party 7 can.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 896
  • party 7 opner.jpg
    party 7 opner.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 896
Back