Tyme Wood lathe Identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelsea_uk

Reaction score
Hi,

As some of you may remember I've recently started turning and picked up a Tyme lathe. I think it is probably an Avon - but it doesn't have a 90 degree moveable head stock (it's fixed) and it doesn't say anything other than Tyme - and looking at pictures it doesn't look like the cub either.

I'd like to be sure what it is so when I'm trying to get a new chuck etc I can say for sure what it is.

I've found a picture of one that someone sold on ebay (no id on it) to save me taking pictures.

So is it an early Avon ?? or something else.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TYME-WOOD-LAT ... 7675.l2557

chelsea_uk":9y3z25a9 said:
Definitely NOT an Avon. The Avon has a rotating head stock with a large 'Bristol' style locking lever underneath to lock it into position.

Beyond that I can't help you, sorry.

If it is badged tyme Avon, it is either the very first one from when tyme began

or a chywanese poor replica. In either case I wouldn't give box room let alone garage room. (looks horrible)

This is a Tyme Avon!

John B.

chelsea_uk":2r7l7kb9 said:
Hi,

As some of you may remember I've recently started turning and picked up a Tyme lathe. I think it is probably an Avon - but it doesn't have a 90 degree moveable head stock (it's fixed) and it doesn't say anything other than Tyme - and looking at pictures it doesn't look like the cub either.

I'd like to be sure what it is so when I'm trying to get a new chuck etc I can say for sure what it is.

I've found a picture of one that someone sold on ebay (no id on it) to save me taking pictures.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TYME-WOOD-LAT ... 7675.l2557

You jammy git! Bargain! =D>

This is a Tyme Avon!
John. B said:
... so is this - with the extension bed and steady for turning snooker cues :D
Avon.JPG

But it was about to be supplanted by the Mystro which can be seen lurking in the foreground.

Attachments

• Avon.JPG
    Avon.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 2,384
It was a great lathe, the Avon. I used that for about 20 years until it was supplanted by this.

Had this for about 3 years now, can't fault it yet, I think there is only two machines that could supplant this and they are a 'Oneway' or a 'Magma Black Line Titan'

But I'd have to win the lottery for them. :cry: :cry: :cry:

AWVSL 1200

John. B

While looking for a design for a drum carder which was definitely published in Woodworker some time in the 1980s, came across Tyme's advertisement for exactly the lathe shown by the OP. It was indeed in some ways a precursor to the Avon and was called the 17 37, because it had 17" swing over the gap bed near the headstock and 37" between centres. It appears to have exactly the excellent bed bar arrangement that Tyme subsequently used in the Avon and Cub, and which was one of the Avon's best features. Then, in the July issue of WW for that year, Tyme excitedly announced "our new ......... Avon", which was advertised along with the 17 37 at least until the end of the year.

Latest posts

Back