Cheap Mini/Micro lathe - What does this part do?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esqy

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a mini-lathe from amazon - although more accurately it should be a micro lathe - Only really for sanding/polishing wooden rings.
Means I can do it in the house as opposed to heading down to the garage where I'll get distracted with all the other projects.

Anyhow, it's been working fine, essentially just a small drill chuck on a small motor.

This is what I got: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dhouse-Multi-Metal-Drilling-Processing-Woodworking/dp/B095HPQRTN/

Cheap, Cheerful, and doesn't dent the wallet too much if it breaks.
The thing with the slot on the top is for using it as a borrowers-sized tablesaw. Mount the blade with it poking through the slot, and Robert is your fathers brother.
The general consensus is to use dremel bits in it for their various functions, like a tiny sanding disc - Anyhow, I digest...

On the 3rd picture, you can see what comes in the box - The powerpack has variable voltage which serves as a speed control, the chisels are as high-quality as they look, and their mere existence would probably offend Robert Sorbey himself.

Drill chuck, Hex key and the mini-mandrel screw thing are all obvious. The non-obvious ones are the 3 hex bars. on the description, they are touted as '3x Hexagonal fixing rod'
I cannot for the life of me work out what they are for. They're included for a reason, Cheap stuff like this would rarely add bits that they don't need to.
1st thought was that this goes in the chuck, and then something gets threaded onto it - Maybe a bead or something. but then I thought... Why? Making a hex hole through anything is a pain in the neck, and needs a very specific tool or jig - easier just to jam the mandrel head into the raw wood.
Also putting something on there - Theres nowt to stop the peice from shifting along the length.

Any ideas?

The same machine is sold under many brands, all with the same accessories.

Maybe look at other places (eBay, AliExpress) to see if you can find a picture of the pieces in use.

As it is sold as a bead turning machine, look for sites/pictures of that process to see if they offer any clues.

My guess is that they are mandrels for the bead blanks. You do not need to make a hexagon hole through anything to use them. Drill a circular hole, bigger than the across flats dimension of the hexagon and smaller than the across points dimension. Drive the blank onto the hexagon shaft. The 'bite' of the corners will prevent it rotating under the extremely heavy turning forces you will apply with those fine chisels. The friction might just be enough to stop it moving sideways.

Thanks Chai, Thats something to think about and try out.
I've looked all over, and can only find the description I mentioned, and all the photos on the various sites are pretty much exactly the same.
even 'unboxing' videos hold no clues though, most of those folk also don't know.
It's not the easiest thing to search though - It's sold as a Mini Lathe, which as we know is generally a tiny big bigger.

The search continues...

I bought a mini-lathe from amazon - although more accurately it should be a micro lathe - Only really for sanding/polishing wooden rings.
Means I can do it in the house as opposed to heading down to the garage where I'll get distracted with all the other projects.

Anyhow, it's been working fine, essentially just a small drill chuck on a small motor.

This is what I got: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dhouse-Multi-Metal-Drilling-Processing-Woodworking/dp/B095HPQRTN/

Cheap, Cheerful, and doesn't dent the wallet too much if it breaks.
The thing with the slot on the top is for using it as a borrowers-sized tablesaw. Mount the blade with it poking through the slot, and Robert is your fathers brother.
The general consensus is to use dremel bits in it for their various functions, like a tiny sanding disc - Anyhow, I digest...

On the 3rd picture, you can see what comes in the box - The powerpack has variable voltage which serves as a speed control, the chisels are as high-quality as they look, and their mere existence would probably offend Robert Sorbey himself.

Drill chuck, Hex key and the mini-mandrel screw thing are all obvious. The non-obvious ones are the 3 hex bars. on the description, they are touted as '3x Hexagonal fixing rod'
I cannot for the life of me work out what they are for. They're included for a reason, Cheap stuff like this would rarely add bits that they don't need to.
1st thought was that this goes in the chuck, and then something gets threaded onto it - Maybe a bead or something. but then I thought... Why? Making a hex hole through anything is a pain in the neck, and needs a very specific tool or jig - easier just to jam the mandrel head into the raw wood.
Also putting something on there - Theres nowt to stop the peice from shifting along the length.

Any ideas?
Does it work? I'm looking to make some small handles.

Back