Turning wheels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittyhawk

Established Member
Reaction score
Stuck on this one.
I need to turn a couple of detailed wheels 9mm in diameter for an aeroplane model. Normally this is not a problem as the wheels on the models are in the 'gear up' position nestled into the underside of the wing. Since I therefore only have to model one side of the wheel I rough out a dowel shape, clamp it in the lathe jaws, spin the required shape into the end and part it off.
The wheels I need now are to be 4mm thick and detailed on both sides. I have a little threaded mandrel thing but the hole it would leave is miles bigger than the 1.6mm axle intended for it. I can't figure out a solution.

Wooden or metal stub, same od as wheel, with 1.6mm centre pin. Hide glue. Finish one side at a time. Or spilt wooden chuck with a shallow recess (half wheel thickness deep) and to fit wheel diameter.

Wooden or metal stub, same od as wheel, with 1.6mm centre pin. Hide glue. Finish one side at a time. Or spilt wooden chuck with a shallow recess (half wheel thickness deep) and to fit wheel diameter.
Thank you. Your reply has kick-started the brain.
Going to try turning up a dowel with a reduced diameter at one end to fit the lathe chuck and a recess in the other end to accommodate the wheel. Will make 4 equally spaced cuts down the dowel to replicate jaws and use a cable tie for tension. Could work, tell you later.(y)

Last edited:
If there is sufficient flat surface on the side of the wheel you could stick it to a mandrel with double sided tape. I have turned a few things in the past using that method and the tape usually holds out for a few pieces.

Make a cup out of maybe Delrin or aluminium, anything really, bar on the back to mount in the chuck, square bottomed bore in the face to be a snug fit to the OD. Install a small grub screw through one side so it will bear against the edge of the blank once installed. Insert blank and tighten screw. This will enable you to cut the faces. Easy way to do the circumference would be to have one small rod with a projecting pin the size of the axle, outer diameter to suit the size of the piece. Make a second with a similar sized hole in the face. Install the pin one in the chuck and pop your wheel on, put the second rod in the tailstock on a rotating centre and bring it up to clamp your wheel between the two with the rim exposed for machining. Done this loads of times, although usually at a rather larger scale! Bit of a faff if you are only making a couple but only takes a few minutes to make the mandrels up, and makes the job a doddle.

I was given this lot a long while back and they are well over 100 years old. Box wood and bronze. I had to turn 40 curtain rings while we were living in France and I used the same idea, only in pine, as there was no way I was going to butcher any of those beautiful chucks.

All I did was turn a dovetail spigot to fit my K10 chuck, turn the right size 'cup in the outer side then cut several pinch slots in it and a Jublee clip. Works a teat and you can easily make it any size you need. Watch out for the clip screw assemble though :eek:

DSC07619.JPG

Back