Toy farm birthday- finally FINISHED !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what to say anymore :? I find it difficult putting words onto paper, but i'll give it a try-

Im pleased the farms finished and have just been completely blown away by all the positive comments i've received- Its starting to feel strange now 8-[

I had no idea it would draw so much attention, after all, its only painted mdf, and some oak here and there. My day job is joinery- windows, doors, stairs the odd kitchen etc, so in my own time, i like making stuff a little out of the norm- One offs if you like. If i can learn something new in the process, than hopefully i can apply it to my day job.

I wouldn't have a clue how to make and design fine furniture (like what some of you make on here, or over on the havens gallery page) so for me, this is just a way to practice until i grow a big enough pair to give it ago :wink:

Some thirty years ago I made some, in comparison, rather basic farm buildings, for my then 5 year old. He only ever used the models as part of something else that he wanted to build - the barn turned on its side became a garage, the haystack was used as some sort of hoopla target, and almost never as a farm. Then he found a way of really enjoying it - he painted all of the buildings bright red. Seems that some 5year olds have their own ideas of how to play.

Atleast he still played with them though, even if they were upside down back to front :lol: I don't mind if they cover it all in red paint, providing they atleast leave it a few years for the gravel and pva to properly dry :roll:

Thanks

Simon

coleysbiscuit":q4u4gl3z said:
I don't know what to say anymore :? I find it difficult putting words onto paper, but i'll give it a try-

Im pleased the farms finished and have just been completely blown away by all the positive comments i've received- Its starting to feel strange now 8-[

I had no idea it would draw so much attention, after all, its only painted mdf, and some oak here and there. My day job is joinery- windows, doors, stairs the odd kitchen etc, so in my own time, i like making stuff a little out of the norm- One offs if you like. If i can learn something new in the process, than hopefully i can apply it to my day job.

I wouldn't have a clue how to make and design fine furniture (like what some of you make on here, or over on the havens gallery page) so for me, this is just a way to practice until i grow a big enough pair to give it ago :wink:

Some thirty years ago I made some, in comparison, rather basic farm buildings, for my then 5 year old. He only ever used the models as part of something else that he wanted to build - the barn turned on its side became a garage, the haystack was used as some sort of hoopla target, and almost never as a farm. Then he found a way of really enjoying it - he painted all of the buildings bright red. Seems that some 5year olds have their own ideas of how to play.

Atleast he still played with them though, even if they were upside down back to front :lol: I don't mind if they cover it all in red paint, providing they atleast leave it a few years for the gravel and pva to properly dry :roll:

Thanks

Simon

Simon, You answered your own question when you said "After all it's only painted MDF" and that is why we were so blown away, because you put so much time, love, and detail, into painted MDF toy. Well done mate =D>

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":l1f5gebw said:
You answered your own question when you said "After all it's only painted MDF" and that is why we were so blown away, because you put so much time, love, and detail, into painted MDF toy.
Well done mate =D>

Hear Hear!

Wayne.

This is the post I have been waiting for and it has been worth it.
Well done!
definitely the
"Project of the Year" :D :D :D

I've got to add my voice to all those heaping on the praise as it's very well deserved.

I don't often show my better half projects but I couldn't resit showing her this one, she's read the whole thread. Her first comment on finishing it: are you going to make one when the baby is old enough? :roll: I'd best start now!

Superb! I also showed my wife and she nearly cried she thought it was so beautiful. (Luckily I have so many jobs to do she wouldn't expect me to make one for our boys but I'm sure secretly that is her hope!!).

Fantastic job - you should get this put into a magazine as I'm sure many people would love to see your inventiveness and how this knocks the socks off all the plastic rubbish in toy shops.

Thanks for the kind words Chrisnw.

From what i've heard, the little fella i made it for spent most evenings playing with it with his dad. Its now put away for a bit so he can play with something different- im hoping when his younger brother is a little older, it might see the light of day again and they can both play together.

Before Christmas there was a 2x4 competition running on Wizers/Tom's site. I was hoping to enter, but last minute someone asked if i could make them a toy shed for there boys in time for xmas. My competition idea went out the window :roll: , but i did manage to finish a couple of these in time :ho2

29974bca.jpg

a1514bd3.jpg

Cheers

Simon

I am so proud of you doing this and sticking to it, my boys would love this.
You would have to pay a lot for each building if you bought them from a shop let alone the whole farm you are building.
look forward to what the whole farm will look like when it is all finished.
Thanks and all the best.
Tim

Back