Toy farm birthday- finally FINISHED !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My God :shock: I wished I had had a Dad like you when I was a nipper. The work you have put in is simply amazing. I would hope that it is passed down through the generations of your friends family.

I don't know now because it has been posted on the forum whether a magazine will print it, but they could do themselves proud by running a mini series of your build.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks for all your kind words of encouragement :wink: Its so definitely helped pull my finger out and finish the job.

I made a little more progress today

b17dda80.jpg

I managed to get the carpet stuck down after a mini battle fighting with it :evil: and also made a start putting the gravel down

a1db23de.jpg

shrubby":3d9fb2cc said:
If you want to paint the blockwork you could try model and scenic painting tricks:
A thin wash coat of the mortar colour, wipe off with a sponge or cloth leaving the wash in the grooves
Paint the mortar colour ,then sponge on the block colour - not too much paint and you should pick out the blocks

Thankyou :eek:ccasion5: It made it so much easier doing it that way around

700610d0.jpg

58b03911.jpg

I don't want to curse the job, but its going alright at the moment. I enjoyed doing what i was doing today, so hopefully there will be no last minute hiccups to deal with. Biggest battle i've got now is getting the paint to dry

fbf917d5.jpg

The Bogey shed needs another coat of green, and id like to get another coat on the blockwork, fingers crossed it'll be dry by the morning [-o<

Simon

P.S

I would hope that it is passed down through the generations of your friends family.

If i see it on Ebay, i will hurt the father :lol: Which goes faster daddy, or paslode :duno:

Quote:
I would hope that it is passed down through the generations of your friends family.

If i see it on Ebay, i will hurt the father Which goes faster daddy, or paslode

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":2jrw51gn said:
My God :shock: I wished I had had a Dad like you when I was a nipper. The work you have put in is simply amazing. I would hope that it is passed down through the generations of your friends family.

I don't know now because it has been posted on the forum whether a magazine will print it, but they could do themselves proud by running a mini series of your build.

Cheers

Mike

I had a grandad who did this kind of stuff - built me a fort, a cowboy fort, a zoo, and a farm.

if i get to be an uncle (we aint having kids ourselves) all of this will be getting passed on, with added improvements from uncle peter.

I've only just spotted this thread. I'm absolutely stunned, what a fabulous piece of work! My Dad made me a garage to play with when I was a nipper and reading this has brought it all back, now I've got a right case of 'Bad Daddy' guilt, I ought to make something like this for my two, but I'm feeling distinctly outclassed right now!!

Top work fella!!

I've only just caught onto this thread too. Most impressive toy, the lad will definitely be over the moon with this, fantastic quality toy. I made a dolls house for my daughter in 2002 (she was 4 at the time), there was stress and panic right up to midnight on Christmas Eve! However, I cheated with the fiddly bits as I bought in the sash windows! :oops: Basically I didnt feel my skills were up to it at that stage of my venture into woodwork. Fortunately (or not) she has never really got into dolls houses, but she won't let it go all the same! I have therefore not had to make any other wooden toys since, maybe they are trying to tell me something! :lol:

Hawk Moth":206u4yex said:
I've only just caught onto this thread too. Most impressive toy, the lad will definitely be over the moon with this, fantastic quality toy. I made a dolls house for my daughter in 2002 (she was 4 at the time), there was stress and panic right up to midnight on Christmas Eve! However, I cheated with the fiddly bits as I bought in the sash windows! :oops: Basically I didnt feel my skills were up to it at that stage of my venture into woodwork. Fortunately (or not) she has never really got into dolls houses, but she won't let it go all the same! I have therefore not had to make any other wooden toys since, maybe they are trying to tell me something! :lol:

Yes Simon, they probably are. :D

My G'daughter, now 11, turned up her nose at a proper rocking horse. Seems they have different values today!

Regards
John :)

Benchwayze":1bz42izo said:
My G'daughter, now 11, turned up her nose at a proper rocking horse. Seems they have different values today!

Regards
My Daughter is currently 19 months old, and when I've finished making her bed (current project) she will be getting a rocking horse, like it or not! ;)

Mark

TrimTheKing":g5dwypzd said:
Benchwayze":g5dwypzd said:

Regards
My Daughter is currently 19 months old, and when I've finished making her bed (current project) she will be getting a rocking horse, like it or not! ;)

Mark

My son got his Model Railway because of similar sentiments! 8)

Regards

Who is Simon? :D I'm Steve!!! :lol:

I agree that things have changed for kids these days. They dont want to go out (or not aloud out in case of dodgy people lurking on street corners), when they go out on their bikes they are back in ten minutes, and when inside the house they just want to watch telly or play PS3 games. I am really into train sets too (sad, I know) and am enjoying having my second childhood. So now have a n-gauge set as you can squeeze more into a small area. Maybe it is because it is not tacked down on a board yet, but my son hasnt shown much interest at all (sigh!). Even in the workshop he does a bit of messing around with a dremel or hand saw and then after 30 mins goes back into the house. If i try to help I get accused of interfering or he doesnt want to do it the way I suggest!!! He is ten now so of an age where he should/could get interested in these things but of course everyone is different. Maybe I need to stop messing about with bits of wood and get the train set permanently setup (with his help) asap... then it might be more interesting for him!

cheers
HM/Steve

Benchwayze":1mh3je09 said:
Hawk Moth":1mh3je09 said:

Yes Simon, they probably are. :D

Regards

See... Even you changed your name Sebastian... :lol:

Steve,

Blame it on my age. Very convenient when I need it!

I should just buy young son a PC and let him get on with it! He could prolly teach us all a few things then.

When i was a kid, the thing i use to like most was technic lego. My older brother was proper into farming, so i think they expected me to follow suit. id have sooner played with a hammer and nail, but because of his precious hatching eggs being in the garage, i was told that noise would damage them :evil: so no hammer time.- or sawing time-or drilling time- im not bitter about it at all :^o

Im glad the farm is finally coming to an end. I've had so many ups and downs with it, will be glad to have a break and get back to something normal. When i started out, i had a picture in my head of what i wanted it to look like. What i didn't realise, was how much time it was going to take. I know as soon as i start hearing stories about them playing with it, it'll all seem worth it.

18c0d4ee.jpg

cb56d140.jpg

The cow sheds finally finished. Im looking forward to watching the t.v again. Originally the cow shed was going to be fixed with the rest of the sheds, but last minute decided to keep it separate, to have a bigger courtyard.

bb308fe2.jpg

67014d7b.jpg

I rolled into work at 6.10 am this morning thinking that would be enough time to give the gravel a coat of pva before i start work. Still started work half hour late :roll: Every thing just seems to take ages........... It was still fairly white when i left tonight, so hopefully will be dry by tomorrow morning to have a last coat [-o<

d778b726.jpg

Last thing of the night was varnishing all the fencing. Im trying to sound positive about it, but it was just so horrible :( I hate painting at the best of times, let alone when its small fiddly stuff.

Cheers

Simon

Simon,

I made a 'Thomas the Tank' engine-house, for a friend's daughter about ten years ago. The girl has long outgrown Thomas and his 'friends', but she still keeps the engine-house. She says so she wants to keep it because it was made for her. That's makes me feel good. :)

John :wink:

Simon, pretty much everything I have made has been for my daughter, but I know I'd never have the patience for this kind of stuff. I applaud you. It's brilliant!

Benchwayze":3to8kchy said:
I made a 'Thomas the Tank' engine-house, for a friend's daughter about ten years ago. The girl has long outgrown Thomas and his 'friends', but she still keeps the engine-house. She says so she wants to keep it because it was made for her. That's makes me feel good.

Ah bless, just goes to show it must have a bit more meaning then 'just a toy'

I just hope they like it. The dad seems to think he'll be happy, but you never know !? Its going to seem a bit strange giving it away after working on it for so long- but boy will i be glad to make something different :D

Yesterday i managed to knock up the farm sign. Decided to make it a little less obvious, so chose to use both there middle names instead of there first.

ecb39742.jpg

a0ff0418.jpg

Last thing was to cover the bottom so it doesn't scratch the ash floor. What a pain in the backside that was, but got there in the end. Looks like the pva's dried, so guess thats it.

Hand overs going to be Saturday morning now, so not long to go :roll:

Thankyou to everyone who has helped me out with this. Without the 'egging on' from this place, i doubt id have ever finished it, let alone be on time.

Will try to post some finished pics Saturday.

Cheers :wink:

Simon

Simon, I wanna see the final pics. Can't wait till Saturday :x :D

What a great job. well done =D> =D> =D> =D>

Dave

Back