Three screwdrivers for a pound!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan2001

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I bought ALL the woodworking tools at our local outdoor market/car boot sale - 3 for £1! :D

So that'll give you an idea of the choice available around here, that I know of anyway.

Anyway, here's my haul for today. As mentioned in another thread, I've been meaning to acquire or convert *something* into a birdcage awl, i.e. one with a square section blade. So I couldn't resist.

img6406medium.jpg

The top one has the nicest handle, and will hopefully become the awl. The middle one is plastic handled and should consider itself lucky to assist in the opening of a tin of paint. :wink: But I did a couple of hours work on the third one to give me a bit of practice. The ferrule has something along the lines of "H NO-TWIST U.S.A." inside a diamond, with no other markings:

img6415medium.jpg

It's not gonna win any beauty contests or cause any consternation on Antiques Roadshow, but it's a nicer little screwdriver than I expected. (Micro-mesh and Tru-Oil, Jim. ;)) Can anyone give me any hints and tips for transforming the top one into a square section awl? I'm not quite sure how to go about changing the profile - should I grind it with my Dremel? File it? Splash out on a bench grinder?

Thanks folks. :D

I don't know enough about metalwork to advise on making an awl, but can I just say you did an absolutely superb job on that screwdriver.

WOW...I can't believe that is the same screwdriver Alan! Glad you are getting to grips with the Micromesh and Tru-Oil...they make good bed partners.

Once the Tru-Oil has hardened...couple of days...hit it again with 1500 to 12000 Mesh to even up the shine and make it more subtle...that is when it comes into its own. I tend to buy two sets of MM...one for metal and one for wood. That way they don't get contaminated. I have packs folded over 120-400G Abranet so I can just grab the "wood" or "metal" bundle and starting with 120G go right up to 12000M.

As for changing the profile, I would do it on my belt or disc sander depending on the application. Do you have either...or even a portable belt sander you can slip upside down into a vise?

Care should be taken to only touch the metal for a short burst...I put my finger on the back and if I can't hold it, it's too hot. Otherwise you will take the temper from the metal and it will be too soft.

I know someone...(yes you Douglas!) who does it by hand. Start with aggressive grit...say 60 or 80G and move up the grits (important for removing scratches)....

You can profile with 60G until nearly the right profile and then move up.

I simply LOVE this profile:

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

That should tax your metalworking ability!

Cheers

Jim

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, guys.

Unfortunately I don't have a belt or disc sander. I do have various cutting and grinding stones on my Dremel, but obviously they're necessarily small and it would be difficult to grind it evenly. (Well, I'd probably find it difficult. ;) )

Work in progress:

img6424large.jpg

img6432large.jpg

(Screws attached to enable tight holding in the vice)

Unfortunately the handle has a crack at the ferrule end, which you can just see in the second photo. Not sure what do about that, or if it's even worth continuing? The wood was extremely spongy and battered, so during sanding it's lost a lot of it's original profile, which was the thing I liked about it the most. :?

Eagle-eyed readers may have noticed the word 'FOREIGN' on the blade. What does that imply? Non-British? or Non-British Empire? Inferior or Superior? :lol:

I think the next step is to cut the blade in half and just have a go at grinding it. The square-ended profile only needs to be about half an inch long, so maybe I'm overthinking things here and should just get on with it! I will bear your tips in mind, Jim.

Anyway, it's keeping me out of mischief for the grand total of 33 1/3rd pence. :lol:

alan2001":2g5nbdjc said:
I think the next step is to cut the blade in half and just have a go at grinding it. The square-ended profile only needs to be about half an inch long, so maybe I'm overthinking things here and should just get on with it!
Ummm... perhaps I should have thought about using a hand file. :oops:

After 5 minutes, it's about half way done. (homer) :mrgreen:

Just thought I'd pop back before anyone went to the bother of replying, hehe. Carry on.

work in progress... yet again:

img6442large.jpg

no beauty prizes for this one either, it's still got a fair bit of finishing to be done - but it's unmistakably a birdcage awl and it makes holes in wood like a hot knife through butter! so that's a result. :D

I don't think the crack is an issue - the ferrule is extremely tight and there's no movement, even without any fixing in place yet. I'm thinking some superglue will hold it all together well enough, with a couple of brass tack heads for decoration and hole filling. Not ideal but I don't have any rivetting gear handy.

Anyway, it works so well, it's probably rendered my other two awls redundant already. I'm well pleased with this wee project!

*goes off to make holes in things* :mrgreen:

I would think Araldite Original (slow set) would be your best bet Alan. Then one of those brass tacks, round headed...banged in.

I am glad it works...I would stain that dark rosewood colour and contour it to get rid of the ridge so it goes towards the ferrule in a nice French curved arc......you can do that with course abrasive and the drill....then go through the grits again...

Jim

Good idea about the Araldite, I've got some of that.

But why are you suggesting I smooth out the 'ridge'? Are you implying that my first attempt at 'turning' wasn't a huge success or something? :p

You're right, it was a disaster! There's a reason why turners use lathes and gouges, not power drills in a vice and a bevel-edged chisel. I should have just left it smooth. #-o

It'll get finished with Tru-Oil, by the way... you may have heard of it? :wink:

Thanks for all the comments and advice. It's amazing how much enjoyment I got out of that £1 investment! Now, who wants to buy a manky square plastic handled screwdriver? I'll sell it for £1!!! :mrgreen:

alan2001":3tsmyllt said:
But why are you suggesting I smooth out the 'ridge'? Are you implying that my first attempt at 'turning' wasn't a huge success or something? :p

HA!!!! :mrgreen:

Not at all my friend! :mrgreen:

Seriously though, it's just a tweek...I think it should be thinner in between the end bulge and the ferrule in an arc.

I also like the socket designs where the ridge jumps back and goes to a cone...ala LN

If you did that in a drill you did bleedin' well! =D>

Jim

jimi43":1iwbsekc said:
If you did that in a drill you did bleedin' well! =D>
haha, well, thanks. but the only thing I did well that day was going back into the house with all 10 fingers intact.

my pride stopped me from posting a photo of the other side, which shows where the chisel slipped against the rather wobbly rotating handle and left an unsightly gouge. :oops:

so... I've left it as is, as a constant reminder to myself to know my limitations and not be so cavalier about very sharp things in close proximity to things spinning very quickly.

anyway, that's the araldite setting overnight, should be complete tomorrow.

last call for the third one, no takers? original owner's name scratched on it but i'm sure that could be cleaned up. ;)

img6554u.jpg

alan2001":up8fhgaj said:
last call for the third one, no takers? original owner's name scratched on it but i'm sure that could be cleaned up. ;)

img6554u.jpg

:lol: =D>
My 'owl Da' has one of them, its an engineers screwdriver- hence the hex near the handle-made by 'Facom' I think and pricey at the time of purchase.

The blade in that plastic handled screwdriver looks as if it has a hexagon section. Now if that happens to fit a hex drive it could be a useful longer screwdriver for a battery driver. Of course it could be adjusted. :)
xy

barkwindjammer":cj5vfvvl said:
alan2001":cj5vfvvl said:

img6554u.jpg

:lol: =D>
My 'owl Da' has one of them, its an engineers screwdriver- hence the hex near the handle-made by 'Facom' I think and pricey at the time of purchase.

Looks like Taskmaster brand. My son has them in his mechanic's kit; (The one he bought when he first started.) They weren't the most expensive of tools, but he still has most of them and they still work! Here's one he left behind. I think the handle is very comfortable to use, and it's ideal for the screw-driving needs of my combination machine and for messing with planes.

The quality of the pic is down to the fact I scanned it in!

John

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 808
xy mosian":2rmqudy3 said:
The blade in that plastic handled screwdriver looks as if it has a hexagon section. Now if that happens to fit a hex drive it could be a useful longer screwdriver for a battery driver. Of course it could be adjusted. :)
xy
yes, there's definitely a hex section where the handle meets the blade. but seriously, i'm not wasting any time on it.

completed awl - not perfect but it's doing the job I need it to do:

img6583medium.jpg

so now I have my full set of awls - guess which one is my favourite? :D

img6584medium.jpg

I know this is all basic stuff to a lot of you guys, but I've learned a lot and really enjoyed it. bringing old things back to life (even as a different thing!) is very rewarding indeed.

Hang on a minute... is this a screwdriver thread, cos we already have one of those. If it's an awl thread that is OK.
Very nice restoration on the first one Alan, and the awl looks great too. Yes, I reprofile screwdrivers by hand using a small wood jig I knocked up, doesn't take too long as I use coarse 80 grit mainly, and gives plenty of control and no heat.
There is one driver here I have my eye on (and it isn't the Taskmaster)... but it's not going anywhere, is it Jim.

Favourite? - has to be the red plastic one on the right, right? (I like bright shiny things and in a former life I was a magpie).

condeesteso":cuzxn39y said:
Hang on a minute... is this a screwdriver thread, cos we already have one of those. If it's an awl thread that is OK.
Very nice restoration on the first one Alan, and the awl looks great too. Yes, I reprofile screwdrivers by hand using a small wood jig I knocked up, doesn't take too long as I use coarse 80 grit mainly, and gives plenty of control and no heat.
There is one driver here I have my eye on (and it isn't the Taskmaster)... but it's not going anywhere, is it Jim.

Favourite? - has to be the red plastic one on the right, right? (I like bright shiny things and in a former life I was a magpie).

Yeah. It's not that awl-ful is it? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hat, coat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Door! :)

Ummm...

The taskmaster was illustrated for interest, because I thought someone wanted to know about the one' belonga' JC!
I'm not saying the Taskmaster is a great 'driver, although it's probably as good as a modern Stanley!

John :mrgreen:

condeesteso":efv5ri30 said:
Very nice restoration on the first one Alan, and the awl looks great too.
haha, thanks!

it's just a glorified and extra tedious 'car boot find' thread, really. ;) but it's one where you have all joined me on my journey from being a B&Q buyer of modern plastic garbage to someone who now very much appreciates the older things in life. that includes you lot too. :p

the other reason for not doing any more to the awl was this 'smiley face' that I thought was quite cute and didn't want to lose:

img6590medium.jpg

project complete, at last.

jim - give him your screwdriver ye tight git!

alan2001":2m65pd16 said:
..............jim - give him your screwdriver ye tight git!

He'll have to wear me down a hell of a lot more than that Alan, before I part with that little gem! :mrgreen: 8)

Did I mention it was a tad less than a quid...not sure I did....maybe I did...I'm not sure! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

Back