Record Power Sabre 350 - A minor rant; or things you should be aware of when purchasing.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Esplan

Reaction score
I have had my RP Sabre 350 for five years now, purchasing shortly after initial release.
I should quickly note that I was in the trade when I first purchased and although that is currently not the case, it has effectively had continual daily use in that time.
I have also owned and operated a number of bandsaws prior to this purchase, so I feel I have a reasonable knowledge of them as a machine.

As a general rule, it is an excellent saw; it does exactly what you would want and for the most part I am very very pleased with mine.
It has plenty of oomph, cuts perfectly when set up correctly(...) with an excellent working height and surface area that suits my uses.

That having been said, it is not without it's flaws and after much reading I've noted that these get very little mention, which I find surprising.
I've decided today to highlight them, partly because of the above and partly because every now and then, they water me off to the nth degree and I need to rant at someone about them; today dear fellow forumites, that someone is you!

1. It's a nightmare to set up properly.
How so? While getting the blade to run true and taught is wonderfully simple (although personally I'd prefer the tensioner to be at the bottom of the upper wheel, rather than right at the top of the saw - if you're short it must be troublesome), getting the blade guides (roller bearings on "thumb screws") set properly is a nightmare.
Under the table there is limited access, especially if you are a fat-fingered troll such as myself and visibility isn't great either, my knees don't like this task.
Above the table, the blade guard covers the guide bearings meaning there is no visibility of the bearings at point of (no) contact with the blade. It is virtually impossible without the aid of several mirrors and a camera studio lighting system to get these set properly, especially when you take into account that the "thumb screws" have the infuriating habit of adjusting slightly when tightened. You set the guides perfectly, tighten the screws and in doing so, knock your adjustment out.

2. The blade guard is atrociously badly designed.
Firstly, not only does it cover the blade and guide bearings at the point of adjustment, which is bad enough in and of its self but secondly, it has this ridiculously narrow slit which you have to manoeuvre the blade through.
I'm not normally one to complain about a narrow slit but getting the blade on and off the wheels can be tortuous, especially with larger blades that have less flexibility. I have managed to dull blades and knock set off thanks to this. Previous saws I've owned or operated have had a door that opens on the blade guard it's self, providing good cover for the blade in use and ample room to swaps the blades in and out. Once I'm out of warranty, I'm intending to modify my guard thus.

3. The dust extraction is rubbish and poorly designed.
I'm aware that bandsaws (any saw..) as a rule have pretty awful dust extraction but the Sabre 350 takes it to new heights of uselessness.
There is a 100mm port provided at the bottom of the rear wheel enclosure, set maybe half an inch above the "floor" of the saw. Just enough space for dust to get stuck and build up.
This isn't aided by the bars that run across the inside of the dust port, preventing all but the smallest of dust from being sucked away anyway. It clogs frequently and in doing so aids in dust build up, so when you open the lower guard door, you are met with volumes of dust falling on your floor. For some this won't be a concern but I like to keep my place as clean and dust-free as I can, especially as I've a small workshop and do all my finishing in the same place.
All of this is a frankly a moot point, given that there is about a thousand square feet of open air between the table and the dust port anyway, meaning that even if you've an extractor that can suck your socks off, it will be ineffective and dust still goes everywhere anyway, the bulk of it landing on the guide bearings, which get clogged with it or on the lower wheel, which will drag it round with the blade to shower you with it a second time.

While all the above can be solved by modification (although, if you're under warranty, you may not wish to start hacking bits off your blade guard) or the judicious application of patience that I don't posses, they are some pretty glaring flaws that could easily have been avoided by careful consideration by the manufacturer.

Rant over and hopefully someone finds this useful. Yes it's a bloody good saw for the most part but not without it's niggles, which frequently pee me off!

Hopefully you feel at peace now post vent!
So the question is, if you were again in the market today with ~£1200 to spend would you again buy the RP Sabre 350 or buy something else?

Above the table, the blade guard covers the guide bearings meaning there is no visibility of the bearings at point of (no) contact with the blade.

The bandsaw is probably the safest saw in the workshop, so the guards provided are often excessive and on my BS400 they were modified to allow access to the adjustments needed to make the saw safe to use and I now have nothing preventing access to the lower guides and a shortened guard over the top guides. A machine is only safe and useful if it can be setup and used safely otherwise it is avoided when ever possible.

As for dust I find it very clean compared to my mitre saw so I don't complain and hoover it out weekly or sometimes more often if doing a lot of work.

O'Chippy:

It was nice to get it off my chest!
For the price point, I think it would be hard to beat, the Felders/Hammers are as far as I can tell, a re-badged version of the same saw, perhaps with one or two modifications. I actually wanted to buy a used saw at the time of purchase but my accountant talked me into a new one for a number of reasons - including being able to finance it.
As I sit today, if I had that kind of budget for a saw, I'd go used every single time. For that kind of money I can pick up a good used saw and have a trip to the UK to fetch it! - This comes with the caveat though that I know what I'm doing and looking for when it comes to a used saw.

Spectric:
In all honesty, I took an angle grinder to my blade guard and removed the part that was covering the upper blade guides, I don't know if they've now modified it on the Sabre 350 or not but it's good to hear they have done so on the 400. It was a nonsensical design and on the rare occasion I have to speak to someone at RP about something, I still give out about it. I forget if there was a guard over the lower guides or not - if there was, I long took it off and forgot - it certainly wouldn't be necessary there. My main issue with the lower guides is how inaccessible they are, they're very troublesome to set, especially with the aforementioned issue with the "thumbscrews".
I've a Kapex 120 mitre saw, hard to beat that for dust extraction!
The bandsaw gets surfaces hoovered daily as do my PT and table saw. Inside the bandsaw once a week. Always used with extraction on (despite it being faintly pointless..) - I have a 3hp fan from a twin bag unit that has been modified "somewhat".

Last edited:
The safety brigade do go overboard at times, there is a point at which safety is met but they go even further so making a machine either unusable or so safe it cannot be used. We are lucky that they have not decided to remove all teeth from a bandsaw blade yet just to make it even safer, but watch this space.

I have had my RP Sabre 350 for five years now, purchasing shortly after initial release.
I should quickly note that I was in the trade when I first purchased and although that is currently not the case, it has effectively had continual daily use in that time.
I have also owned and operated a number of bandsaws prior to this purchase, so I feel I have a reasonable knowledge of them as a machine.

As a general rule, it is an excellent saw; it does exactly what you would want and for the most part I am very very pleased with mine.
It has plenty of oomph, cuts perfectly when set up correctly(...) with an excellent working height and surface area that suits my uses.

That having been said, it is not without it's flaws and after much reading I've noted that these get very little mention, which I find surprising.
I've decided today to highlight them, partly because of the above and partly because every now and then, they water me off to the nth degree and I need to rant at someone about them; today dear fellow forumites, that someone is you!

1. It's a nightmare to set up properly.
How so? While getting the blade to run true and taught is wonderfully simple (although personally I'd prefer the tensioner to be at the bottom of the upper wheel, rather than right at the top of the saw - if you're short it must be troublesome), getting the blade guides (roller bearings on "thumb screws") set properly is a nightmare.
Under the table there is limited access, especially if you are a fat-fingered troll such as myself and visibility isn't great either, my knees don't like this task.
Above the table, the blade guard covers the guide bearings meaning there is no visibility of the bearings at point of (no) contact with the blade. It is virtually impossible without the aid of several mirrors and a camera studio lighting system to get these set properly, especially when you take into account that the "thumb screws" have the infuriating habit of adjusting slightly when tightened. You set the guides perfectly, tighten the screws and in doing so, knock your adjustment out.

2. The blade guard is atrociously badly designed.
Firstly, not only does it cover the blade and guide bearings at the point of adjustment, which is bad enough in and of its self but secondly, it has this ridiculously narrow slit which you have to manoeuvre the blade through.
I'm not normally one to complain about a narrow slit but getting the blade on and off the wheels can be tortuous, especially with larger blades that have less flexibility. I have managed to dull blades and knock set off thanks to this. Previous saws I've owned or operated have had a door that opens on the blade guard it's self, providing good cover for the blade in use and ample room to swaps the blades in and out. Once I'm out of warranty, I'm intending to modify my guard thus.

3. The dust extraction is rubbish and poorly designed.
I'm aware that bandsaws (any saw..) as a rule have pretty awful dust extraction but the Sabre 350 takes it to new heights of uselessness.
There is a 100mm port provided at the bottom of the rear wheel enclosure, set maybe half an inch above the "floor" of the saw. Just enough space for dust to get stuck and build up.
This isn't aided by the bars that run across the inside of the dust port, preventing all but the smallest of dust from being sucked away anyway. It clogs frequently and in doing so aids in dust build up, so when you open the lower guard door, you are met with volumes of dust falling on your floor. For some this won't be a concern but I like to keep my place as clean and dust-free as I can, especially as I've a small workshop and do all my finishing in the same place.
All of this is a frankly a moot point, given that there is about a thousand square feet of open air between the table and the dust port anyway, meaning that even if you've an extractor that can suck your socks off, it will be ineffective and dust still goes everywhere anyway, the bulk of it landing on the guide bearings, which get clogged with it or on the lower wheel, which will drag it round with the blade to shower you with it a second time.

While all the above can be solved by modification (although, if you're under warranty, you may not wish to start hacking bits off your blade guard) or the judicious application of patience that I don't posses, they are some pretty glaring flaws that could easily have been avoided by careful consideration by the manufacturer.

Rant over and hopefully someone finds this useful. Yes it's a bloody good saw for the most part but not without it's niggles, which frequently pee me off!
I thoroughly enjoyed this. Thank you.

There is something very comforting knowing other can get just as irate as myself

I've got the baby Sabre 250, and if its the clearish plastic guard on the top bearings that you're talking about, I removed mine completely - it really is awful.

thank you for this. I also have the baby sabre.

. timely as I am considering a larger bandsaw so I can do some basic milling. it's the main power tool of the workshop and I'm convinced it's got great utility. just chasing the inches of length and girth I suppose. :oops: just need to find a way to sell it to SWMBO

I also removed the plastic gubbins around the bearings.

20230823_195913.jpg

I also found the table difficult to get square to the blade and had to grunt it into place and it is only just right now and at the very limit of tilt. I wish they gave us 5deg (I.e so you could go 85deg to the blade) so that this wouldn't be an issue. but you'd loose some cut capacity I suppose.

Almost forgot - the bearings that came as stock were also awful, 2 seized completely within weeks and the others felt like they'd got sand in them. Replaced the whole lot with much better quality ones for just a few quid.

Next thing is the adjusting screw for the top back bearing. It's plastic and the thread is stripped - I'll probably re-make all of them in brass or steel.

Apart from that, I love it, it's a great little saw :)

Enjoyed the read and all excellent points.
The weaknesses are generic and certainly exist in the "lower" models, with a few extra (like the less well constructed / engineered bearing block). Irritated me soon after purchase, especially when the sales chap could only retort at a later encounter "should have bought a more expensive model". Thanks.

One fault I need to fix on my RP saw is the table often moves a little out of the horizontal without much encouragement whatsoever, evident only after a bad cut. At all other angles the table holds firm, but at the most frequently used position the locking lever has less grip without extra force being applied..

I have this saw and have to agree with the OP's rant - particularly with how fiddly it is to set up, especially the lower guides.

Mind you, if you think the DX is useless, try using the saw without it!

Back