Things you learn on Youtube.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been watching so many vids I am getting spinny eyes but I have learnt two things I didn't know.
1... When tightening a chuck you need to use ALL your strength. If your muscles aint bulging it aint tight enough.
2... When turning you have to wear a tatty glove on your left hand like Michael Jackson.

I feel quite enlightened now.

Hi

I don't watch You Tube videos - the few I've looked at have me shouting at the screen, usually due to the lack of regard for common sense and safety exhibited by the makers:

Woman demonstrator wearing sandals

Bloke leaving the chuck key in place in the chuck

Demonstrators gripping turning tools with white knuckles

I'm convinced people would be better off taking time to read a good book and practice what it preaches.

I'm sure there are some good videos out there, but I reckon there's more bad than good.

Regards Mick

Grahamshed":8fkliljr said:
1... When tightening a chuck you need to use ALL your strength. If your muscles aint bulging it aint tight enough.
All that does is dent the wood, possibly even to risk of breaking sockets or tenons.
2... When turning you have to wear a tatty glove on your left hand like Michael Jackson.
? Not sure where you've seen that. Gloves are generally a no no as they're more likely to drag you into the lathe for a more serious injury if they catch, rather than just knock a little skin off your bare hand.

Grahamshed":1atoe2lm said:
I have been watching so many vids I am getting spinny eyes but I have learnt two things I didn't know.

I feel quite enlightened now.

(1) No, just tighten until you think it will be safe.

(I have seen demonstrators at club meetings tighten until their hands hurt which cannot be right)
Personally I tighten until the chuck feels tight, over-tightening can result in the spigot/dovetail failing at a crucial moment or when too myuch pressure is placed on the cutting edge.
I, like everyone else have done it, and learned in the process!

(2) The ONLY time I wear any form of hand protection is on the outside of a piece that still has the bark attached. It saves winding up with a sharp pointed bit sticking out of the side of the hand.

Some VERY dry timber shavings get very hot but it is momentary.

I consider any form of glove as reducing the feedback and giving the operator a false sense of security, but that is only MY opinion, others may differ!

Regards, Peter.

Tightening the chuck too much can as said break the grain and end up with the piece flying off. Wearing anything on your hand is not recommended as if it gets caught then you could be in serious problems. A lot of American turners seem to though.

Pete

Other things I have learnded:

You should "go ahead and..."

You are always " just finishing up with 600"

"All you gotta do is watch..."

Mr Finch":1arivec7 said:
Methinks people are taking this thread too seriously.
There is however a serious point in that how does a beginner discern good from bad information or practice. Advice ranges from 'look on Youtube' to 'don't believe anything you see on Youtube'. Without more specific links or explanation, the beginner is often left hanging between two stools.

Robbo3":3rg6ew3o said:
the beginner is often left hanging between two stools.
Don't look at You Tube at all seems an easy recommendation.

A proper hands on course is probably the best way to get started, I suspect that a turning club could also be an excellent introduction too.
I'm amazed at how cheap courses are.

There are also many good books and if you must look at videos, seek out ones from credible and responsible sources, rather than the pot luck of YouTube.

I think there is a place for youtube videos. I found, personally, that watching the videos gives me ideas. There is no substitute for hands on tuition though. A club is a great place for that, but pay someone for a couple of sessions where you come away with the benefit of someone else's experience.
I see the work of some of the folk putting themselves out there and think, I remember when I was turning out stuff like that. Some of the work being turned is of a high quality, but there is just as much ropey old dross out there too.

Rhossydd":3o582tng said:
Don't look at You Tube at all seems an easy recommendation.

A proper hands on course is probably the best way to get started, I suspect that a turning club could also be an excellent introduction too.
I'm amazed at how cheap courses are.

There are also many good books and if you must look at videos, seek out ones from credible and responsible sources, rather than the pot luck of YouTube.

Now how do you know if the same person at a club has not made the video in the first place and put it on u tube so now who do you believe :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi

In my experience, turning is about feel and sound - neither of which come across particularly well on video.

Regards Mick

Spindle":2cakgc8c said:
In my experience, turning is about feel and sound - neither of which come across particularly well on video.
I'd agree they're key factors.
Feel will always be tricky, but really good production techniques and presentation ought to start to get the message across.
Sound should be easy enough, except most YouTubers (and an embarrassingly large number of commercial video makers) haven't a clue about how to record sound properly.

Dalboy":1h2u97fk said:
Now how do you know if the same person at a club has not made the video in the first place and put it on u tube so now who do you believe
That makes the assumption that all You Tube videos are rubbish, which I would have thought was obviously not correct. I wouldn't recommend novices searching through YT because they won't find it easy to work out what to trust and what to ignore.

I would hope that a turning club would ensure that anyone allowed to tutor beginners was a capable and responsible turner themselves.

What I can't understand is why people who seem to be reasonably competent (arguably !!) are so totally useless at holding a video camera properly. Jerky, pointing at feet / ceiling / anywhere but on the work? Tripod - never heard of one it seems.

K

graduate_owner":1dr87mye said:
What I can't understand is why people who seem to be reasonably competent (arguably !!) are so totally useless at holding a video camera properly. Jerky, pointing at feet / ceiling / anywhere but on the work? Tripod - never heard of one it seems.

K

Totally agree, I feel that the turner should stick to turning and employ someone who knows how to use a camera video or otherwise!

I have seen a so-called professional video camera operator who set up the camera to view on a large screen in the corner of the room and then sat down in front of it so the audience had a brilliant view of the back of his head!

The bit I really hate is the view going up and down as the cameraman breathes!!! [-X

Regards Peter.

Back