The James Krenov Smoother – under review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An interesting thread, although I must admit to almost losing the will to live (let alone read further) around the middle of page 5..... So, having missed all the fun, can I stir the pot? :twisted:

Sgian Dubh":25bf4kf3 said:
I find Mr. Krenov's writings come across as directionless twittering. Reading a whole page of any any of his books gives me the urge to slam it shut and throw it away as far as possible, preferably into a fire.
Phew! The man who has launched a thousand Americans, etc........ :shock:

I have to say that Jim Krenov's work has certainly influenced my way of thinking. I have to admit that his writing, however, I can only take in small doses

Sgian Dubh":25bf4kf3 said:
I recall that we used to simply dismiss American craft woodworking of the early 1970's as the triumph of wood over all other considerations of design, taste, function and joinery skills, ie, lumpy tree root stuff slathered over with epoxy resin and, therefore, laughable junk, ha, ha. Slainte.
And in some ways it appears not to have changed all that much, either, especially out on the West Coast

engineer one":25bf4kf3 said:
....along came people like jk who showed it was possible to make things slightly more subtely....
So you've not seen any of the postwar Scandiavian work of other people then? Surely the stylistic influences on Krenov's were the same as those which shaped people like say Hans Wegner (who sadly passed away at the start of this year) or Eero Saarinen? But then their work was more commercial.

Mr_Grimsdale":25bf4kf3 said:
Just trying to think what inspired me........

Musta been Barry Bucknell.
Ye gods! We hath a heathen amongst us! (I'd have said Goth or Vandal, but didn't all the so-called Barbarians just get a bad press from the Romans?)

No doubt JK is competent, well meaning and sincere old chap but he does burble on in a semi mystical way which is often the first sign of a charlatan.
Or of genius? OK, I'd suggest look at the pictures and make up your mind about what you think of his work. Then (try to) read the text.......

I don't like gurus anyway but even more I don't like the worshipful uncritical audience they seem to attract - they are as bad as each other.
I don't think that JK set himself up to be a guru. It's just that in the 1970s van Nostrand-Reinhold published a book with his work in it. That work was so utterly different from the dross being cranked in the USA at the time that it struck a chord with many people. Judging from the number of slavish adherents to his style tofday, it still does. Maybe it's just a passing fad.

Scrit

He's just an interesting old guy that makes attractive items from interesting woods.
Noone to get too emotional about critiquing or defending. I see countless items from amateurs
and professionals which excite me. In my case I knew or cared nothing about woodworking,
was browsing at the bookstore and just happened upon his books. Their was a big wow factor.
So I jokingly refer to him as "guru" because he jumpstarted my interest in the craft. Of course
that was years ago, and I've moved moved so far above that now (tongue firmly in cheek).
Alot of American woodworkers can't stand him, for the same reasons mentioned above by
others. Some think he's too esoteric, others say he's a cranky old man that has little tolerance
for other's work. Other's because they see him as to artsy. etc.

It's a bit unfair to keep referring to his age, as his work and writings have been produced throughout his entire adult life when he wasn't 'old'. Either way, if it wasn't for guys like JK to actually put pen to paper and be prepared to teach others - our hobby would not be as interesting.

Javier":36j6i5oz said:
[...] he jumpstarted my interest in the craft. Of course
that was years ago, and I've moved moved so far above that now (tongue firmly in cheek).

Javier,
Thanks for that post. One thing is for sure, and that is that any American woodworker who isn't leading a totally isolated existence must have some opinion about Krenov. In my case, I enjoy reading his reflections about working wood, but I am not drawn to (or repelled from) the designs of his pieces. I do enjoy his freehand treatment of edges, and the very subtle curve of almost every line. But for me, he isn't really a guru to begin with, so I don't understand why others would resent him for that status (which I don't believe he ever wanted). I don't have a woodworking guru because none of them really work in a way that I wish to -- I take bits and pieces where I can find them. I've met some good teachers, none of whom are well known beyond the region. I am planning to attend a lecture by Thomas Moser in a few days, but he is hardly a "guru" -- I do think that he will have some interesting things to say about Shaker furniture. It's somewhat of a shame that one cannot admire someone else's life and work (as Derek did) without being accused of guru worship.
-Andy

oops scrit, i must grovel, but what i meant and obviously did not get across was that to me, although the scandinavians did have a lot of influence, in many ways you could not call it furniture to be made by craftsmen, rather as you say an industrialised design which bought clean design to the masses, and even habitat( or should we say shabitat :twisted: )

what krenov did was bring to the wider american market a better expression of design for the craftsman to make.

not sure if that's any clearer but i like to look at all forms and then see what sits properly for the item i am building.

paul :wink:

AHoman":33rnoygo said:
I am planning to attend a lecture by Thomas Moser in a few days, but he is hardly a "guru" -- I do think that he will have some interesting things to say about Shaker furniture. -Andy

He's a very innovative guy. Been to his store in Maine and really like his stuff.

Mr_Grimsdale":34eqr8ry said:
"guru". Did JK make chairs at all? I'll find out when I get the book (I bet a JK chair
would have very long spindly legs and a rather uncomfortable top so you'd bang your head on the ceiling. :lol:

cheers
Jacob

He did make chairs and small student desks. Unfortunately none are shown in the book
you ordered, but in some of his later books. (not sure which ones). What I don't like about
the book you ordered is the very lousy black and white photography. Some of his other
books were reprinted in vibrant color, not this one.

Mr_Grimsdale":r7i55ot1 said:
Back from seaside a bit sooner for various reasons.
It seems that the J Brown book is out of print after all and generally scarce so I'm going to have to get it from the library. Just when I was getting interested too, oh well.

cheers
Jacob

I have a sealed copie for sale.

kees

drew langsner Here John Brown is not smoking!

Yeah, I thought it was kinda funny his mentioning of the dangers of machine-made fine
sawdust and nasal cancer. In the article that he mentioned this there was a cigarrette sticking
out of his mouth. :wink:

i hope i dont upset to many people being as im new here, but looking at the mr krenov plane and the one moderator tony made in good woodworking i know which one i would pay my money for.
everyon is making comments about his failing eyesight but i reckoon he saw a few people coming :lol:

confused.com":1gr1i2he said:
everyon is making comments about his failing eyesight but i reckoon he saw a few people coming :lol:

I reckoon I can get my money back for it if I really want to some day. LOL

Javier":1591xn0k said:
confused.com":1591xn0k said:

I reckon I can get my money back for it if I really want to some day. LOL

......'specially if you've got a signed JK plane :wink: :

2h2d3.jpg

......just at the front above the sole - Rob

Back