Spokeshaves?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint Simon

Established Member
Reaction score
Having taken to heart the oft-repeated instruction not to clean up curves cut in boards with my sanding drum I think I now have to buy a spokeshave and teach myself how to use it. I am trying to finish the sawn curves in a cupboard plinth and need some guidance on what spokeshaves would work for this and a few words on how to use them please.

Right move I think, spokeshaves are a more accurate tool, you go at a slower pace allowing more precision and the finish is far superior.

Before recommending a shave it would be useful to know your proposed applications, you can do a lot with a flat bottomed shave and it also has the benefit of being easy to use and set up. A flat bottom can do a reasonable concave curve before the blade can't bite, as the length is so short.

I have the Veritas flat bottom and I think it's superb, I've used the Stanley equivalent and it's a horrible, chattery thing in comparison.

Like any other plane, spend the time getting it sharp and fettled and then have a practice to get accustomed to it

The immediate job is on some 75mm radius curves in 19mm yellow pine board. Have tried a friends Record curved bottom spokeshave which even after doing my sharpening best still chattered across the wood, especially the end grain part of the curve.

Don't forget when doing a curve that you will change the planes orientation to the grain, when I plane a curve I will generally do it in 2 halves and plane towards the centre from each side so that I'm always going with the grain and reducing chatter and tearout

Hi Simon

I have a brand new, unused Veritas flat 'shave for sale. If you're interested drop me a PM.

Cheers

Karl

Saint Simon":3o4ys6x5 said:
... tried a friends Record curved bottom spokeshave which even after doing my sharpening best still chattered across the wood,

Curved bottom spokeshaves are hard to use; you need a VERY shallow depth of cut, and need to concentrate (like mad) on keeping the sole ahead of the blade on the wood, and the blade cutting all the time.

Chattering (whilst getting the hang) is par for the course, and all curved bottomed shaves do it.

Actually, practising with a flat bottomed shave on a convex surface might be a mid way step up on the learning curve, since it's similar, but easier.

BugBear

I am very keen on spoke shaves and use them a lot. Stanleys and records can be made to work well but reqire effort and money to get the best out of them. I have all the Lie-Nielsen shaves and they are good but I much prefer the Veritas. Much easier to adjust the blade projection (but still a knack) and you get shims to adjust the mouth opening. Best of all, they are cheaper than the L-N.
Jon.

As an inexpert user, I'd say the one downside of the Veritas is that the superstructure necessary for the adjustment mechanism does make them more tippy. I get on better with the Boggs and a toffee hammer.
(I do like my Veritas scraper shave though)

Another vote for the Veritas flat shave. Eats hardwood for breakfast, I guess would do the same for softwood.

Mikey R":2myblj5z said:
Another vote for the Veritas flat shave. Eats hardwood for breakfast, I guess would do the same for softwood.

Since the OP is talking about round bottomed shaves, I guess he's doing concave curves.

The Veritas LA shave is very nice at everything except (even minor) concavity, where it is one of the worst shaves around!

BugBear

bugbear":1qc9fgsn said:
Mikey R":1qc9fgsn said:

Since the OP is talking about round bottomed shaves, I guess he's doing concave curves.

The Veritas LA shave is very nice at everything except (even minor) concavity, where it is one of the worst shaves around!

BugBear

Why has no one suggesting a traditional low angle spokeshave. I fail to see why they don't compare in performance to the LN & V versions.

swagman.

bugbear":hp27pclm said:

Your right - sorry for the irrelevant information :oops:

I listened to everyone's advice and settled on the conventional Veritas round bottom spokeshave. Wonderful! Worked straight from the box. Thanks for your advice on choice and on how to use it.

Back