Tutorial/plans for "Four eyes furniture"'s work desk completed :) And I feel much more capable now.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felipe

Established Member
Reaction score
Following a tutorial from four eyes was _really_ helpful to teach me through the processes and level up my woodworking game :)

For the finishing I partially followed Blacktail Studio free tutorial, where he uses 2 layers of Rubio monocoat plus his own brand of ceramic coating, but I only did the Rubio and didn't like the results, mostly my fault.

I hope you enjoy the photos :) It's made of beech and it is possible to dissemble for transportation, I came up with the fixation method myself and was quite pleased on how solid it is, structurally.

~~~ now nerding about finishes ~~~

My experience with Rubio Monocoat in this project:
I sanded the top up to 800 grit then applied a very thick layer of Rubio Monocoat Pure, waited 10 min and cleaned the excess. 3 days later it was dry enough and I could see how amazing it looked -- but... you know, I wondered if it could get better and following Blacktail's tutorial I did a second coat to later regret. Blacktail recommends to use a brown scratch pad to frost the first layer and then apply a new coat with a buffer to "warm the wax". Following that made worst results, less shiny, more spotty; I think because I had the table already sanded to 800 grit while the scotch sponge brought it back to what is equivalent to 320 grit, plus I did a bad job of frosting it. In a hindsight it was quite obvious that doing that prep would ruin the already high grit finish. So next time I will stick to 800 grit and one coat, no buffing.

I am sure that if followed his tutorial strictly the results would be as good as he shows in his videos, plus he only sands the wood up to 180 grit (or 220? can't recall), not to 800, claiming it creates a more durable end product because the oil can penetrate better, which makes the brown pad to be a step up on grit, not an entire "floor" down, like it was for me, and then he uses many layers of his "cermic coating" product which must do a lot.

I will definitely continue using Rubio Monocoat alone, does anyone have experience with durability if we sand the wood to 800 grit and apply only one coat?

Attachments

• IMG_0034.JPEG
    IMG_0034.JPEG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6491.JPG
    IMG_6491.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6497.JPG
    IMG_6497.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6509.JPG
    IMG_6509.JPG
    8.5 MB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeRender.JPEG
    FullSizeRender.JPEG
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Following a tutorial from four eyes was _really_ helpful to teach me through the processes and level up my woodworking game :)

For the finishing I partially followed Blacktail Studio free tutorial, where he uses 2 layers of Rubio monocoat plus his own brand of ceramic coating, but I only did the Rubio and didn't like the results, mostly my fault.

I hope you enjoy the photos :) It's made of beech and it is possible to dissemble for transportation, I came up with the fixation method myself and was quite pleased on how solid it is, structurally.

~~~ now nerding about finishes ~~~

My experience with Rubio Monocoat in this project:
I sanded the top up to 800 grit then applied a very thick layer of Rubio Monocoat Pure, waited 10 min and cleaned the excess. 3 days later it was dry enough and I could see how amazing it looked -- but... you know, I wondered if it could get better and following Blacktail's tutorial I did a second coat to later regret. Blacktail recommends to use a brown scratch pad to frost the first layer and then apply a new coat with a buffer to "warm the wax". Following that made worst results, less shiny, more spotty; I think because I had the table already sanded to 800 grit while the scotch sponge brought it back to what is equivalent to 320 grit, plus I did a bad job of frosting it. In a hindsight it was quite obvious that doing that prep would ruin the already high grit finish. So next time I will stick to 800 grit and one coat, no buffing.

I am sure that if followed his tutorial strictly the results would be as good as he shows in his videos, plus he only sands the wood up to 180 grit (or 220? can't recall), not to 800, claiming it creates a more durable end product because the oil can penetrate better, which makes the brown pad to be a step up on grit, not an entire "floor" down, like it was for me, and then he uses many layers of his "cermic coating" product which must do a lot.

I will definitely continue using Rubio Monocoat alone, does anyone have experience with durability if we sand the wood to 800 grit and apply only one coat?
@Filipe. Beautiful craftsmanship and design.
@Doug B posted a beautiful turning using Rubio Monicoat recently, and many other examples. Hopefully he will view this and give advice
Fred

Rubio monocoat is just that a single coat anyone suggesting more coats to you doesn’t understand the product it’s not like ordinary oil where subsequent coats will soak into the last.
Rubio also don’t recommend sanding to too fine a grit but this explains more & how to apply it. https://www.rubiomonocoatusa.com/blogs/blog/how-to-apply-oil-plus-2c-to-furniture
Their course is worth doing if you get the chance oh & nice desk btw. (y)

Back