Skelton dovetail saw pass round.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw received, will have a play then pass on, how long can I keep it for? With work and college ect idea he time will be limited.

TT

ok. ive had the saw for a good week, first i say thanks to shane for letting me play with it.
secondly what a pleasure it was, i find it hard to believe its hand made as its flawless.. well done.
ill keep it brief as the masters have already done fantastic reviews.
the saw in use is as you would expect,
I've used various high end saws and id say this is in my opinion the best available.

i cut many dovetails it a variety of woods and it preformed well in all... there is only one flaw with this saw and thats its price, i could never justify (same as a lot of people) spending that much on a saw that has one function (rip cuts for dt)
if i was a wealthy man ye sure id buy one but im not so i couldn't.
so to summarises:
.the tpi ect is perfect as well as the weight, length you name it. the proportions are bang on the money
.saw looks and works beautifully
.do i want one??.... yes
.can i afford one??..... no
.does this saw make me cut better dove tails...

just to clear up, i know the price is a bargain when look at in replication of shames hard work ect so its not an insult to your skill me saying its too pricy.. most will probably agree but not say

thanks again and the saw will be in the post tomorrow afternoon when i finish college..

all the best
TT

Lost the adress for the next participant, I've sent a pm and awaiting reply so I can send on. Sorry to hold up the proceedings
Thanks
TT

Sadly... It's on its way to its new carer.

Will post a review tomorrow... but for now here's a pic of my shocking work.

Please forgive me.

118hg5y.jpg

8squared":1c8lajzx said:
Sadly... It's on its way to its new carer.

Will post a review tomorrow... but for now here's a pic of my shocking work.

Please forgive me.

118hg5y.jpg

Blimey! There's so many dovetails there you are going to need a cot! :mrgreen:

Cheers

Jim

Arrived with me this morning - looks just as good as the last time we met (when Jimi43 had it). A thought struck me, this saw is somewhat blessed - it's been through quite a few hands and not got lost (unlike a Riley awl, a Liogier rasp...).
I shall report back asap, though I feel I'll only be repeating what's gone before.

First of all a thankyou must be given to Mr Skelton for allowing this pass around to happen.

Not sure if my review will be of a help to anyone as I'm a novice woodworker...

but as a newcomer to anything you will often be told buy the best you can... so while the option was available I thought I'd give it a go to compare to the type of saws a novice may buy, but I also have a keen interest in doing dovetails as from my memory I was fairly good in secondary school... not now though.

At first glance it was a nice saw, the rosewood handle looked very nice, the weight of the brass back was very noticeable, I did notice and liked the rounded profile of it, the only issue I had was the blade was "wonky" (more on this later).

First thing i did was to do some test cuts in end grain mahogany... straight away it was clear how nice the saw was going to be, if a saw can do a 1" cut often past my line due to it cutting so cleanly and quick with few strokes rather than many it has to be good.

So onto my first dovetail, the biggest problem I had was cutting straight lines on my marks... using the Skelton my lines were straight but not on my marks. With practice the balance of the saw became very useful as it was easy to feel when I was holding it straight or just a little lean... and soon I was cutting to my lines pretty much.

As for the blade being wonky I couldn't quite work out so emailed Mr Skelton and the reply was quick and the information was simple... the tapered blade allows you to cut to the line on the front but stops short of the line on the back side... something I wasn't aware of due to only using parallel blades, I soon found it a fantastic detail.

Forgive me if I'm teaching anyone to suck eggs and this may be long winded.

As I got more into using the saw I soon found the saw more of an extension of my hand, when picking it up the handle was comfortable that I didn't need to fidget with my grip like I have been doing previously and I no longer needed to concentrate on my cutting it just became second nature.

So overall it was a very pleasant experience to have the chance to use the Skelton saw.

As a novice looking for a dovetail I do feel some possibly many will find it an investment too far and unjustifiable.

However if my circumstances were different, due to my keen interest in mastering the art of dovetails and my experience of this saw I would surely without hesitation purchase one...

sadly they are not so I won't, at least not right now.

I feel the Skelton saw is an investment and in experienced hands that will be invaluable... I await that experience.

Thanks again Mr Skelton for the chance.

Had me worried for a moment there 8. Had to nip off and sight the blade... no, all fine and true :D

I have to go North tomorrow so won't get to try the saw properly 'til Monday. As far as I know I'm last on the list so not holding anyone up?
Will report back asap.

sorry for the delay. I don't have much to add at all at this stage. I've tested it on various hardwoods in the range 8 - 30mm.
I compared it with my Gramercy (which I am very used to) and a Japanese dozuki with a rip blade in. It is obviously very good indeed - it cuts as fast as the Dozuki and a little quicker than the Gramercy. It is significantly heavier than the Gramercy and I like the weight. I think you always get better with a saw as you use it more and I found it easy to overshoot at first!
My own view of the benchmark is Jim's Two Lawyers dovetail. I didn't get the chance to compare side-by-side but I have used Jim's before and will not fault it at all. I am sure that the Skelton is as good but it's a bit different - slightly bigger and heavier [and lower tpi I recall).
Basically very good indeed. I would not think of looking for faults, there are none. I really think it is very good value and a decent investment (lifetime tool, works very well indeed, residual value high).
It's been mentioned above but just my own personal taste - on a fine tool like this I prefer the fully sculpted handle:
sk1.jpg

l-r is Gramercy; Skelton; my Two Lawyers carcase saw (German plum handle) - I prefer the fully rounded form of the other two - but it's a detail and personal taste and of no consequence to performance or feel.

Like others I am very pleased to see excellence coming back in British / English tool making. I know we have a few already (plane makers in particular) but here's a couple of the very hot new arrivals:
sk2.jpg

Shane Skelton's saw next to a Sparks No70 - which has just arrived and is another absolute gem.

Very well done Shane, I'll be along for a saw but I'm keen to see what happens on the Rich Arnold lend :wink:

[what's hot'n'tasty and comes out of Scarborough...?]

p.s. forgot to mention - the work that has gone into maker's marks is brilliant. It matters and it is very well done. My Two Lawyers carcase is unmarked and that is a bad oversight on a premium tool.

p.p.s. I will pack and return to Shane as I am the last on the list. Will get it out tomorrow, c/w/ Bern's dovetail guide which basically meant no-one after dared cut any show-off dovetails. He's a bit nifty, that Bern.

Attachments

• sk1.jpg
    sk1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 923
  • sk2.jpg
    sk2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 924
Hi Stewie,

the homepage says 245 GBP
http://skeltonsaws.co.uk/our-products/

I've written it before, that is a beautiful saw and all the reviews confirm it works perfect.
Very great first shoot! Good to have another sawmaker on this side of the pond.

Cheers
Pedder

pedder":3rtdqzkm said:
Hi Stewie,

the homepage says 245 GBP
http://skeltonsaws.co.uk/our-products/

I've written it before, that is a beautiful saw and all the reviews confirm it works perfect.
Very great first shoot! Good to have another sawmaker on this side of the pond.

Cheers
Pedder

Hi Pedder. I have read the homepage and it only references the 10" Dovetail Saw, not their 12" Carcass Saw.

regards Stewie;

swagman":160ubyjz said:
Hi Pedder. I have read the homepage and it only references the 10" Dovetail Saw, not their 12" Carcass Saw.

regards Stewie;

Sorry Stewie ,
I've got you wrong. Ididn't even read about the carcas saw. Where did you get it from?

Cheers
Pedder

Thanks for the review Condeesteso.

I am relieved to know that the saw has made it to everyone and is back with Shane. And finally thanks to Shane for letting us experience his fantastic saw.

Chris

Back