Should I be burning MDF?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L Harding

Established Member
Reaction score
Obviously not in the weather we are having at the moment, but...

I have a wood and chip burning stove in the workshop as im sure many of you do. In the winter i burn all my off-cuts and shavings etc. Including MDF. It burns very well and glows as warm embers far longer than solid does.

But does it give of harmful fumes? To me or the environment?

Luke

I found this from a source on Google:

With little hard information to base this opinion on, I contacted Brian Sause, Director of Testing, Certification, & Standards at the HPVA Lab, who said:

The makeup of a fiberboard panel is dependent on the desired properties of the final product. There is a high degree of variability in the products with regard to wood fiber content and alignment, adhesive or resin type used, and other additives to adjust the performance of the panels. I would agree that, as a general precaution, you should consider any composite material unsafe to burn in a household environment due to the unknown makeup. While there are concerns over high emitting products containing formaldehyde in an indoor air environment, toxicity of any combustible materials when ignited is a much greater concern.

HPVA's certification of engineered wood products ensures that they do not contribute to elevated levels of formaldehyde in the home. Formaldehyde naturally occurs in raw wood and even in the human body. A certification does not mean that the products do contain additional formaldehyde, but maintains that they are safe and controlled under anticipated conditions of normal use. For those who are concerned, there are many products available to consumers on the market today that are certified as No-Added Formaldehyde (NAF) and Ultra-Low Emitting Formaldehyde (ULEF) products.

Given this...I wouldn't

Jim

i havnt read the above report but its a well known fact the MDF dust has carsenagenic properties so i wouldnt have thought its a very good idea but i supose it depends on how much your burning

Back