Semi Mystery Scroll/Fretsaw....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the pack of new blades came today so I fitted one and gave it a test. It states that the blade is good for cutting up to 2" thick material but I used a bit of pine maybe an inch thick and it was very very slow going.

It also doesn't cut remotely straight, and I can see when I look from the front end of the saw towards the blade that the top is almost head on, but the further down the blade you look, it has a twist to it.
Hopefully there is some adjustment in the bottom blade clamp to align it, as it's not going to be that great otherwise. So far I've only noticed the allen key adjustment for clamping the blades at each end, but the bottom clamp is well hidden away anyway so tricky to see what else might be possible.

That sounds very odd. I would be very surprised if there is any adjustment for the blade angle.

There is just the outside chance that it is a duff blade so it may be worth checking with another blade.

It is also worth mentioning (sorry if you already know) that scrollsaw blades don't normally cut in the direction that you would imagine i.e. straight forwards.

This video on the Steve Good website explains and demonstrates the effect perfectly - http://www.stevedgood.com/school/video0006.html

Hope this helps.

Phill

Hmmm, Will check the blade but surely with the blades being so thin & delicate, any slight twist in the blade between one end and the other would be twisted straight by torsion from the clamps if they're both straight?

Thanks for the comment that they don't normally cut straight forward though as I completely did not realise that! The top end of the blade looks straight ahead, as if it would cut straight forwards, but then I have a similar issue with the cheap bandsaw I have, that no matter what I try, and no matter how deep the blades are, the cuts are never parallel to the edge of the table. It always cuts at an angle and I've gone through loads of ideas to prevent that.
Thanks for the video link! Just watched it and yes, that's exactly how it behaves - tis just like the bandsaw but more pronounced.

Very helpful cheers :)

Latest posts

Back