Something new

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you have enough depth to use barrel hinges and a magnetic catch? That way nothing is seen on the surface and won't detract from the excellent surface finish.
Iirc the subject of box hardware came up a while ago. There's a box maker who also supplies really good hardware but can't remember the name. Tom somebody?
I don't think so not with the walls being only 9mm thick and I think I want decorative hardware to add to the look of the piece seeing as it will be seen from front and back, it will also allow me to make the first cut then attach the hinges whilst everything is still aligned then make the front cut and attach the latch, will look at your link though 😀

I decided to go back to my original idea for this desk tidy so have spent the last few days working on it, using an offcut of the beech worktop I fitted in one of the classrooms I glued up a 150mm square by 280mm (ish) blank using 5minute epoxy once rounded off I turned a recessed tenon and mounted it in the chuck, hollowing was fairly awkward as I wanted to keep the tailstock support for as long as possible to avoid chatter making the hollowing uneven, I managed to get over halfway with some very dodgy tool angles and usage, once I had got half way through the 6th ring I had to stop, even my newest bowl gouge was struggling so I sanded up and finished what I had hollowed then turned a jam chuck and turned it round to remove the last inch or so and finish it, once off the jam chuck I was pretty impressed at how even the wall thickness is, I'd aimed for 10mm and I managed to get it at 9mm give or take 0.5mm after sanding and finishing, I was stuck between having the tube vertical or horizontal, I've settled on horizontal and cut out 2 ends from a board of a mahogany type wood which contrasts nicely with the beech.
View attachment 180596View attachment 180597View attachment 180598View attachment 180599View attachment 180600View attachment 180601View attachment 180602View attachment 180603
The last 2 pics show the ends held in place to see how it looks, I quite like it but am undecided how to proceed, I can either glue it up then cut the lid to include the side panels or I cut the tube first and fit hinges and latch then glue the sides onto the lower part, this brings me to the hardware, does anyone have any suggestions for hinges? I'm open to any ideas, really want this to look amazing so decorative hinges would be nice.
I would glue the whole lot together then saw the lid off. You’ll need the ends on the lid to keep it true and strong. I would go for 90 degree stop hinges in brass. I generally use Bruso but I know a lot on here swear by another brand that escapes me right now.

I would glue the whole lot together then saw the lid off. You’ll need the ends on the lid to keep it true and strong. I would go for 90 degree stop hinges in brass. I generally use Bruso but I know a lot on here swear by another brand that escapes me right now.
Now you have said it’s only 9mm wall you might be better to go for some king of external surface mount butterfly hinge and make than a feature. Just a random example https://brass-works.co.uk/frelan-bu...MAWQ1OOEJr2F41gweLLjli0bPoRRg9QBoCy-IQAvD_BwE

Back