Robert Sorby RS3 lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeithS

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Does anyone own this type off lathe and would you recomend it.
Bidding starting at £800 is it worth it or could you get a better lathe for much the same price (£800 with extras).
Thanks
Keith

Think it might be an oldish lathe Keith, Sorby stopped making them some time ago but others might know better :?
Steve

KeithS":cjce3sw8 said:
Hi all
Bidding starting at £800 is it worth it or could you get a better lathe for much the same price (£800 with extras).
Thanks
Keith

No not worth it if its not variable speed ( electronic )

You can get better lathes for the money if you are prepared to wait

Sorby stopped selling Lathes about 5 years ago now

We have one at our club and it is a pain. The stand is badly designed and is really hard to get the lathe stable and the speed change is a pain. There is a daft sort of bracket that comes loose with wearing. I wouldn't advise buying personally based on experience of the one I have used

pete

KeithS":1qd9uvf6 said:
Hi all
Thanks
Keith

What type of turning do you want to do ?

Bowls / platters

or spindle work

If spindle work , what length spindle

How big a workshop do you have

Hi
Thanks for the replys, realy just a beginner but quickly growing out
of my dml 24,At the moment end grain natural edge goblets are coming along a treat. Bowl and platter is the way I would like to go not much
spindle work.
Keith

KeithS":170xpgym said:
Hi
Thanks for the replys, realy just a beginner but quickly growing out
of my dml 24,At the moment end grain natural edge goblets are coming along a treat. Bowl and platter is the way I would like to go not much
spindle work.
Keith
Keith

what part of the UK are you in ?
Are you able to collect as most quality lathes are Heavy :lol:

hi
Just outside Edinburgh, but do have transport and able to travel when the right lathe comes along.
Just updated profile with location

If you going 800 pounds for a lathe, look at the Nova 1624, - personally think it's a solid lathe, 1.5hp motor - retail 899 - must be someone close to you that has one, else drop me a line, and i'll get some one to chase one up for you over there.
http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.php? ... ON%20LATHE
It is belt drive, not variable speed - this always causes some interesting debates - have used both variable and belt, and have went back to a belt -variable speed is handy, but who would change the speed while actually turning ?? - won;t go any further as have spent a whole evening debating the pro's and cons between these.

Have fun

Stan

Latest posts

Back