Re-plate a saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob":1lwiqwxn said:
Paul Sellers has a neat and easy method for cutting new teeth.
http://paulsellers.com/2012/11/recuttin ... hat-works/
Haven't tried it but it looks good to me.

Thanks Jacob looks interesting.

Tried the paper template but just made a real mess of the paper and lost the ability to track the spacing accurately.

Have filed the blade flat and smooth again so will start again. Need some sort or guide so Paul Sellers one looks like its worth a try.

Mick

With reference to the Sellers guide. It would not take too much extra effort to angle the marks to match the angles of cross cut teeth, alternate teeth one way of course. A second guide, other angle, for the intermediate teeth.
xy

xy mosian":368yabeh said:
With reference to the Sellers guide. It would not take too much extra effort to angle the marks to match the angles of cross cut teeth, alternate teeth one way of course. A second guide, other angle, for the intermediate teeth.
xy
Another good idea which I haven't tried yet: Sellers suggests somewhere that anything with more than 9tpi(?*) might as well be filed straight across like a rip saw. Makes life a lot easier esp with fine teeth, and you can do them all from one side.
* I think it was 9tpi, I'll see if I can find it again.

Jacob":3i9lqkjg said:
Another good idea which I haven't tried yet: Sellers suggests somewhere that anything with more than 9tpi(?*) might as well be filed straight across like a rip saw. Makes life a lot easier esp with fine teeth, and you can do them all from one side.

That wouldn't be a good reason to forgo the softness and the clean cut of a real crosscut filed saw.

Many saw maker file all crosscut teeth from the same side. One just has to invert the fleam angle.
http://eccentrictoolworks.com/2010/06/1 ... ams-razor/

The wooden pattern looks good, but why invest a lot of work in a uncertain wooden pattern, while there are so many cheap certain metal pattern (saws) in the car boots?

For fine dovetail saws I used hacksaw blades 18 tpi for a long time.

Cheers
Pedder

MickCheese":3n6eew2u said:
Tried the paper template but just made a real mess of the paper and lost the ability to track the spacing accurately.

The paper only survives long enough to make a mark - but once you've got a mark, you're then into normal sharpening techniques - increasing gullet depth while making sure the spacing stays even.

One advantage of the laser printed template is that you can easily have spacings that don't appear on rules, like 9 TPI, or gradated spacings.

My original templates were stuck on one side only, but the "wrap-over" style is a bit more durable in use.

BugBear

Jacob":gi8sxi01 said:
xy mosian":gi8sxi01 said:
xy
Another good idea which I haven't tried yet: Sellers suggests somewhere that anything with more than 9tpi(?*) might as well be filed straight across like a rip saw.

I think Tage Frid was the first notable proponent of that idea, back in the 90's.

Personally, I find cross cut filing gives cleaner cuts - fleam angles evolved for purely practical reasons.

BugBear

Have a few days off next week so it's on my list to try again.

I need a finer rip cut saw so that is my intention.

Have found an old blade that seems the right pitch so will try using that as a template.

I have nothing to lose and am enjoying the experience but at the end of the day I really want a usable saw.

Will keep you informed. (hammer)

Mick

Just an update

Have just spent an hour cutting teeth and sharpening the saw.

Didn't come out so bad. I took Pedder's advice and used an old saw blade. I clamped it to the new blade a little high and used it as a template. Sharpened as a rip for a few reasons, one was it was easier as it's my first try at cutting new teeth, another is I don't have a larger rip tenon saw.

IMG_0078.JPG

Cuts quite well.

Really enjoyed doing this as the original saw was just junk and I have revived it.

Mick

Edit .... There really are teeth on the saw even though the pic is not too clear.

Attachments

• IMG_0078.JPG
    IMG_0078.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 658
Well done, indeed! I know from first hand experience what effort it must take to get a result like that.

Chris

You're a braver man than me Mick!

I've taken one look at what's involved in this saw doctor thing and decided that it would be better to send it to one!

I salute you sir! =D> =D>

Cheers

Jim

pedder":nffrh08m said:
Hi Mick,

Great you did it! It isn't that hart, is it?

Now follow Alf's guide and try crosscut:

viewtopic.php?p=127911#127911

Cheers
Pedder

Pedder

I needed a sit down after the rip, the crosscut will have to wait until I am braver :D

Just to prove there are teeth.

Saw Blade.jpg

Mick

Attachments

• Saw Blade.jpg
    Saw Blade.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 580

Latest posts

Back