QS planes, how do you like them?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's an interesting debate. To focus only on the product being made specification plays a huge role. If items are poorly specified there is likely to be a poor product. If manufacturing is not properly executed by skilled workers and supervised well the same thing will result. The QS planes have improved over the years (from what I have read) which is also a good sign. Actually owning a QS tells me the factory at least must be a professional and product focused. I can't speak for the workers conditions but with China on perhaps the most rapid industrial revolution the world has ever seen the picture evolves very quickly. China is also embarking on ambitious plans for space exploration, they build quality computers from brands like Apple. Quality & China is happening.

On the point of supporting local I get that and when possible it's great. I cant speak for others but when you want that extra attention to detail, extra levels of service, better quality or even something innovative. But in reality the products we buy are from all over the world. I don't think QS is in danger of hurting the existence of LN, LV Clifton etc, they will always have a market. LN is actually now exporting to China to serve a growing middle class of hobby woodworkers. I can see them doing the same in Russia too and more power to them. Now should the Chinese only buy Chinese planes and the Americans US tools? Maybe, but that's not how our world works.

My tool box is like what I own and use in real life, blended. I have a Korean telly, a Japanese car assembled in Holland etc.

The direct competition to Clifton is from LN and Veritas, not QS or the new Stanley Premium for that matter. I don't hear anyone telling LN to go get lost. LN/Veritas are neither local or supporting UK industry. People tend to buy at price points. Those who can afford them will usually opt for one of the 'premium planes'. In woodworking hand tool terms they are somewhat of a luxury item. You need a certain level of disposable income to buy these types of Planes. It's a luxury some woodworkers can't afford. Supporting UK industry comes at a price and I don't see the many economists wanting the minimum wage raised to £12 ph +. It's all a bit easy to pontificate about UK products from a position of relative wealth.
QS came in and filled the need for a more affordable Plane that was accurately made. I don't see anything wrong with that. The Chinese QS factory may well have atrocious conditions. It may also be pretty modern and equipped with high grade machinery.
But working conditions never stopped people buying Apple, Sony, Toshiba from Foxxconn and Co.

Its ok knocking Chinese stuff ( and some of it is truly awful ) but I for one am old enough to remember the laughs that 'made in Japan' used to cause.

MIGNAL":oeeqhue1 said:
QS came in and filled the need for a more affordable Plane that was accurately made. I don't see anything wrong with that. The Chinese QS factory may well have atrocious conditions. It may also be pretty modern and equipped with high grade machinery.
But working conditions never stopped people buying Apple, Sony, Toshiba from Foxxconn and Co.

Some people aren't wise to whats going on and other won't buy their chinese made products.

They're far from going under the radar though....

Apple get it in the neck

Apple Better Working Conditions

Back