Comparison between bedrock type 5 1/2 vs LV low angle jack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ali27

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello guys I might be in the market for a new plane. I have a no6 and no4 plane. One I find too big and the other too small. I like the wider cutter of the No6 so I am thinking of buying a no5 1/2.

I find the handle on the bedrock, in my case woodriver(bought like 10 years ago) too small. The handle on the LV plane seems quite a bit taller.
My fingers are not big, but my hand is about 4.5 inches wide. I don't like the three finger grip. I like to hold the handle comfortable with all my fingers.

Can someone tell me about the rigidity of the planes I mention in the title? The bedrock seems to be quite a bit more rigid because the frog is more substantial.

One thing I find also very important is I like to tune my planes to a high tolerance. I feel the bedrock design has no secrets for me and I can tune practically every aspect. With the LV jack plane the mouth can be adjusted. I wonder how flat/coplanar that part is with the sole. I dont recall reading anybody mentioning this. With the bedrock design moving the frog does not affect the front of the mouth. With LV it does.

I guess the bedrock is much easier to adjust the depth of the cut whereas the LV is more precise and has much less backlash?

In general I would say the LV planes are not really visually attractive though the LV low angle jack is ok. A Clifton or LN 5 1/2 looks prettier I think.

I would like to read the opinion of people who have used both planes. I am not interested in old planes. Please dont tell me I cant go wrong with either brand, I already know that.

Thanks.

Derek's blogs will give you the best summary should you seek it, he's got all the toys.
You might not value the adjustibility of the mouth on a double iron panel plane,
nor fancy BU jack planes thereafter.

Tom

I have some difficulty grasping some of your comments about rigidity and flatness. They do not fly with my experience.

Firstly it needs to be noted that a bevel up Veritas LA Jack is a very different beast to a bevel down Bailey-style (Bedrock or other). I use both, probably the BD more, and sometimes need to point out to detractors of BU planes that they can work superbly. As can Bailey-type planes.

My question is "what do you want from the plane?". A "jack" is generally used as a roughing plane (I use a Stanley #605 and a woody). But some, such as David Charlesworth and Rob Cosman, have popularised the #5 1/2 as a "Super Smoother". Personally I do not go for this. A long smoother is only really useful if you are smoothing boards that come off a powered jointer/thicknesser (that is, they are already flat). Longer smoothers, like jointers, will remove more wood to get the board smooth as they also flatten. If you want a roughing plane, you really would be better off with a #5 (not the #5 1/2), since this is lighter. And, frankly, then I would get a Stanley and not a LN, and spend the saved Dollars elsewhere.

If pushed to this, I would rather have the Veritas LA Jack as a smoother than a LN #5 1/2. Why? Because it is lighter and more versatile (better on a shooting board, Rob Cosman's reluctance notwithstanding). The LAJ has good weight and add a low cutting angle, and this combination rules when shooting end grain, such as drawer sides. With a high cutting angle, it will tame a lot of interlocked grain. But, as I have said, there are better planes to be used for smoothing.

My go-to planes are BD planes, such as the Veritas Custom #4 and #7. Set the chipbreaker up close, and you can plane anything. But is needs to be noted that I am in Australia and work with hard and interlocked wood. Most others do not, and I use BU planes very happily for at least 15 or more years before the chipbreaker renaissance. High cutting angles (e.g. 62 degrees) can do just about anything.

If I need to take a very fine shaving - gossamer - my first choice is a Veritas BU Smoother. It is outstanding! I can do almost, but not as well, with a Veritas #4 and a LN #3. ALL this planes are rigid and flat - as rigid and flat as you would ever need. I would argue that all Veritas planes set the standard for flatness.

Back to my earlier question: what do you want the plane to do - rough or smooth?

Not visually attractive? Can you guess what this plane is? :)

BUSMOD1.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back