5 1/2 Jack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought an irwin record block plane a couple of years ago. Rubbish quality. Blade ground out of square, mouth of plane casting out of square, blade locating holes off centre and the area of casting the blade rests on was slightly tilted ( from memory it was 2 lugs, 1 needed filing down )

In short, i spent a couple of hours getting it to a point where it was usable. I wouldnt ever buy another
Did you pay £112 for it??

https://boltworld.co.uk/product/fai...MIsZ61ko2h_QIVhdLtCh3efgtREAQYDCABEgKWXfD_BwE
A faithful one for a tenner would have been just as good and perhaps not put together on a Friday afternoon, after a few cobra beers!

Did you pay £112 for it??

https://boltworld.co.uk/product/fai...MIsZ61ko2h_QIVhdLtCh3efgtREAQYDCABEgKWXfD_BwE
A faithful one for a tenner would have been just as good and perhaps not put together on a Friday afternoon, after a few cobra beers!
No, about 15 quid on ebay, new, fully packaged. If i had paid more than that I'd have posted it to irwin with a colourful covering letter.

I wanted a spare block plane for bashing on site. Ive got a 15ish year old stanley ( after my original block plane dissapeard ) and an older stanley 60.5
I always wish I'd bought a lie neilson block plane way back when...... It'd be worth triple now 😆 mind you, ive got a l.n no4 and dont use it

When I checked the link it was the Stanley Bailey type 15 5 1/2. They must have removed it as it had been sold.

Attachments

• classichandtools Stanley 5 and half from David Charlesworth teaching workshop.PNG
    classichandtools Stanley 5 and half from David Charlesworth teaching workshop.PNG
    487.8 KB · Views: 0
I have a post war record 5 and now a 5 1/2 too. I haven't used any fancier makes though. Yet. Maybe. Not sure I deserve em yet!
20230326_202729.jpg20230325_150024.jpg
The 5 is my most used of the bunch and produces the thinnest shavings but the 5 1/2 chows through stuff and the extra heft is handy dragging it arms yonder, doesn't need as much gorilla.
20230326_203821.jpg

20230326_203416.jpg( 'excuse the dirty mouth in the last picture but then I hear a voice cry 'but who flosses their mouth after every bite anyway?')

Back