QS planes, how do you like them?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unfortunately I don't use any Stanley type bench planes on a regular basis, but I can give a comparison regarding block planes.
I bought my first LN block plane over 20 years ago and still use it on a daily basis. It has not been without it's problems. I don't profess to know anything about various tool steels, so please don't ask me what the blade was made of, but whatever it is I have always detested it. I'm not alone in this as my work mate also has the same misgivings. The steel seems to have similar characteristics as high speed steel that we use in our machines. It takes a reasonable edge which lasts a fair while, but takes a lot more sharpening, and never seems to have the razor sharp feel of the other steels we use in our bench planes. These are vintage examples with laminated Sheffield made blades. My other complaint with the plane was that after a few years of use I found that the adjusting nut began to foul on the casting base even though the blade had half it's life left in it. I got a bit more out of it by filling the raised letters down in the casting, but eventually I had to purchase a new blade. Years ago I pointed out this design fault out to a British retailer at a woodworking show, but they didn't want to know about it. I have not had the chance to examine a later plane to see if this problem has been rectified.
Jumping forward a few years I spotted a WH block plane on ebay at a very good price and it also came with two blades so I took the plunge and bought it. Overall the plane is very similar to the LN, and performs just as well, but the big difference was the blades. these feel much better, and are more reminiscent of the Sheffield blades we have come to love so much. The fact that it came with two blades is a bonus as I could fit one to the LN plane which has made me love it a whole lot more. It has to be said that Ihave seen other Chinese block planes on the market with varying degrees of quality, so I think buyers must be aware of this, where as the LN planes seem to be constant in there quality

I dont have a direct comparison between QS and LN, but I have a QS 7 and a Stanley 7 (not sure how old, but wooden handles, with a Hock blade). I also have a LN 5.5.
The QS 7 is not as nicely finished as the LN, and the adjustment knob is extremely stiff. Heavier than the Stanley.
The LN is very nice to use, a good weight for me, and a nicer finish. But I did spend a bit of time fettling.
Either work very well, and in the grand scheme, I would pick any. Perhaps the Hock blade makes a difference with the Stanley, especially as it has the Hock chipbreaker too, so that bumps up the price a bit.
I like car analogies to many things, but in this instance, rather than a DB9 vs a Focus, I think the choice is more like a Mondeo vs Jag XF vs BMW 5. All rather simillar, all do the same job (some much better than their price point indicates), the main difference being cosmetic.

The QS are superb value, and whilst not made in UK, you would be supporting independent UK business by purchasing from Workshop Heaven.

Cheers,
Adam S

Grahamshed":1fa8iyov said:
I don't think the question is rely relevant. The ford focus is an excellent car, much loved by many people, but if I offered you one of those or an Aston Martin which would you choose ?

Honestly? Even though I don't like it I'd choose the Focus every time.

QS or LN? I'd choose the QS, it's half the price and I can't see the LN being twice as good.

My QS 6 is an outstanding plane - it was one of the first to come out of WH years ago and has given me sterling service. The blade takes a very fine edge - there is a real 'heft' to it and I have never had a problem with it. In those days it came with some ghastly chinese plastic-feeling or something handle and tote so I replaced those with some walnut. I love it
I have some LN planes, some Veritas, a cliffy or 2 and a couple of QS's. I have gradually got rid of ones I don't like and replaced them but the QS 6 is a keeper. I love it
Mark

I think id like to have a feel and a sniff of a QS bench plane.
Thanks guys so far for your opinions. I like to know what other think especially when they have used all brands of planes for a comparison

TT

As far as #6 fores go, I'm quite happy with my £18 silverline. Ok the iron isn't the best and needs sharpening more often than my Stanley ones but it cuts nicely and since fettled it's as good as any other imo. Once the oem iron is worn I'll replace it with a better quality one but for now it does the job and proves you don't have to spend hundreds to get a good finish. :)

MMUK":14v4yer7 said:
As far as #6 fores go, I'm quite happy with my £18 silverline. Ok the iron isn't the best and needs sharpening more often than my Stanley ones but it cuts nicely and since fettled it's as good as any other imo. Once the oem iron is worn I'll replace it with a better quality one but for now it does the job and proves you don't have to spend hundreds to get a good finish. :)

Silver line is another brand I've heard a mixture of ups and downs about. I've never used one and tbh I don't think I will, I'm glad that there are good tools to be had cheap.

I'm thinking of trying a diffrent approach to getting a no4.5 I might just get an acorn and kit it out and c how thy works of if it's a fail (dout it will be) ill sell on and only loose out a coupe quid, keeping the upgraded iron ect.
Got to be worth a punt

TT

Well my plane is here and after a cuppa i shall open it up. I shall try to remember how my LN version felt last year as a comparision. Hopefully later this year i can get another LN and do a direct comparision.
One of the reasons i went for the LN last year was on how it felt in hand. After spending a while in axi trying out various block planes - veritas/ LN. The LN won out due to feeling just right in my hand. To me the veritas versions seemed bulky, especially the lever caps. They always seemed to force the palm of my hand up and away from gripping the bodies easily. :)

carlb40":o8ndjley said:
Well my plane is here and after a cuppa i shall open it up. I shall try to remember how my LN version felt last year as a comparision. Hopefully later this year i can get another LN and do a direct comparision.
One of the reasons i went for the LN last year was on how it felt in hand. After spending a while in axi trying out various block planes - veritas/ LN. The LN won out due to feeling just right in my hand. To me the veritas versions seemed bulky, especially the lever caps. They always seemed to force the palm of my hand up and away from gripping the bodies easily. :)

Look forward to hearing what you think.
TT

tobytools":rv0dx2yq said:
carlb40":rv0dx2yq said:

Look forward to hearing what you think.
TT
Full review after a week or so at work with it. However one thing i can say the finish is no where near close to the LN version, but at half the price that is to be expected. After 10 minutes with it, there were a few little things that all add up. ;)

How would I like QS planes? Preferably melted down and sent back to the Far East (hammer) .
Kalimna":10u8vtfq said:
The QS are superb value, and whilst not made in UK, you would be supporting independent UK business by purchasing from Workshop Heaven.
Ah yes, but would you be supporting British industry by purchasing an imported product that undercuts a quality British product? - not only sold by a UK business, but also made by UK citizens, who pay taxes in the UK and spend their wages in the UK, thereby making a FAR greater contribution to keeping your economy working.

Just my perspective.

Cheers, Vann.

Complete racist twaddle. Whenever products from the far east are brought into the equation it's very noteworthy that LN or Veritas are ALWAYS given exemption.
I wonder why.

The difference is that Veritas and L-N are not undercutting a British product though, because they compete on a level playing field. It's a fair guess that their workers receive fair-ish wages and have decent terms and conditions, including sick & holiday pay, health & safety, superannuation .. &c. &c.

How do conditions compare in the QS factory, I wonder?

MIGNAL":12t7o3g1 said:
Complete racist twaddle. Whenever products from the far east are brought into the equation it's very noteworthy that LN or Veritas are ALWAYS given exemption.
I wonder why.

Veritas are innovative and design their own goods. LN were offering bronze bodies that it appears nobody else was. QS offered the world a cheaper clone like a Gucci handbag. No surprise there...

Are QS, or any other firm for that matter, really undercutting and selling to Clifton's customer base ?
I brought 2 QSs from WH recently but I don't think Clifton or anyone else lost business because of it. I would not have paid their prices so the alternative would have been second hand.

MIGNAL":3icbi36n said:
Complete racist twaddle.
Possibly, but I'm more inclined to think I'm nationalist rather than racist.
But not twaddle - it's a fact that money spent on something made in your own country continues to circulate within your economy much longer than money spent on imported goods - most of which has to go off-shore to pay for the import.

MIGNAL":3icbi36n said:
Whenever products from the far east are brought into the equation it's very noteworthy that LN or Veritas are ALWAYS given exemption.
I wonder why.
Check your map, Canada and USA aren't in the far east (hammer). But seriously, they each offer something other than cheapest production. Refer Sawyer's post.

Grahamshed":3icbi36n said:
Are QS, or any other firm for that matter, really undercutting and selling to Clifton's customer base ?
Yes. There was a thread on here two or three years ago where a poster was all set to buy some Cliftons and he was talked into buying QS instead.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":33fptiwl said:
Grahamshed":33fptiwl said:
Yes. There was a thread on here two or three years ago where a poster was all set to buy some Cliftons and he was talked into buying QS instead.

Cheers, Vann.
In the immortal words of some song or other ' that don't impress me much'
How many times must people who were thinking of buying a cheap Chinese plane ( or whatever ) been talked into buying a dearer european one ?

Grahamshed":1q1mp8ql said:
How many times must people who were thinking of buying a cheap Chinese plane ( or whatever ) been talked into buying a dearer european one ?
You need to check your map too. Canada and USA aren't in Europe either, even if Sheffield is (hammer)

But the cheap Chineese planes really are a POS (The mid-range Chineese planes - e.g. QS - aren't in that category, fortunately). Same can be said for cheap Indian planes and the latter years of production in the UK at both Stanley and Record works. Talking someone out of a POS into a reasonable plane is a good thing, surely. But talking someone out of a locally made quality product, into an imported product that's no better (and probably not as good) solely on price, makes little sense to me - especially when that decision will help put your neighbour out of a job.

So your arguement 'don't impress me much' either.

I now work at a job I don't much like, because the trade I want to work in has been exported. I'm in the rail industry. We now import inferior wagons (1 tonne heavier, manufacturing defects, poor ride quality, etc) because they are 10% cheaper. The return to the government in taxes on wages, if they were built here in New Zealand, would be ~12.5% of the total cost, thereby bridging that 10% difference. Then the wages would have been spent in the local economy providing more employment, more wages, more taxes. So excuse me if I feel a little anti when it comes to foreign undercutting of local jobs.

Cheers, Vann.

Firstly I made no mention of any Canadian or American firms. I said european and had Clifton in mind. If you are happy for Brits to buy USA or Canadian tools but not Chinese then that is not Nationalism.
It is also somewhat self defeating. If Britain doesn't buy foreign stuff then foreign people won't buy British stuff. We may have the wet stuff all around us but Britain cannot be an island and survive.

Well I've probably got a lot of 'POS' tools, probably most come from overseas, but that's not because I prefer to bolster foreign economies and hate my neighbours [although...] but because when I bought them I couldn't afford any better.

Unless you've got plenty of spare cash then price will always be influential.

Latest posts

Back