Planer power feed problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Pullen

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an Electra Beckum planer that I've owned from new, a decade or more.

Today I fired it up to thickness some timber and found that the power feed wasn't working.

I took off the side cover and found the flat rubber drive belt was being tossed off the wheel that it runs on. This belt connects directly to the cutter block shaft.

I managed to keep it on by using some belt dressing spray but it is making quite a buzzing noise when it runs and I'm not sure if it is the belt or the pulley at fault. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what cured it.

When I think of it the machine was making a loud buzzing sound on starting for some time but it generally went away once the machine was running and I think this problem could be related.

All help appreciated.

I have the same machine, a slightly older model, my belt started to slip which caused the cutter block and power feed to run a bit jerkily. Replaced it and it was fine - as you say it runs on a flat rimmed plastic wheel, so you may need to check the alignment or that the plastic wheel bore isn't damaged. Fairly cheap to replace the belt, but can't remember who I got it from.

Back