Parkinson Vice Misbehaving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve355

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening

I‘ve had an old Parkinson Perfect vice for quite a few years now. When I built my new workbench a year or so ago I cleaned it up and installed it, with the inner jaw kind of recessed in the bench, and the vise screwed into the wood. It seemed at the time that it wasn’t easy to mount like that, it seemed as though it was designed to be mounted hanging lower off the bench.

Recently it was not been closing or opening properly, it is quite difficult to close and sticks when fully “in”. It seems to have a lot of play but also doesn’t seem to be excessively worn.

Obviously I need to take it off, clean it up, troubleshoot it and reinstall it. But before I do this, does anyone have any thoughts or experience with these? It will be a right pain to get off and reinstall.

Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve

If it's not worn then most likely gunged up with sawdust / grease and as you say it will have to come off.

Mine is slightly younger than yours by the look of it and it was in an unusable state when I acquired it so total strip down and clean but I also cut a length of 28mm copper pipe in half and fitted it over the screw to keep off most of the sawdust. It's worked well for several years touch wood.

Attachments

• parkinson vice 1.jpg
    parkinson vice 1.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 0
  • vice 1.jpg
    vice 1.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 0
  • vice 2.jpg
    vice 2.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 0
Hi Steve. Looking at the video I would say you have way too much play in the slides as the whole front face/slides / sccrew move a lot. I had the same vice as Lons shows and there was minimal movement.

Latest posts

Back