Vice lubrication, rust prevention - Spares

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scockram

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a behemoth of a vice, a Record 53. Wondering what oil or grease to use on the guide rods. What do others favour?

I acquired it a couple of years ago, stripped it down, cleaned it up and then mounted it on the bench. Can't remember what I used on the guide rods the first time but I've got a feeling it might have been Camelia oil. It didn't work very well anyway. It was refusing to open fully so I had to take it apart and clean off surface rust again.

My easiest options are 3in1, a thicker mineral oil I use for the lathe bearing, (sae 30 I think), WD40 or grease. I used grease on the screw thread and it's fine, seems a bit thick for the rods though.

PXL_20231119_214525584.jpg

I've used Castrol LM on mine for many years - and yes it does get clogged up with wood dust and detritus however I've never had it bind up and it keeps the threads and guides nice and shiny...

Related question.

I also have a Record 52 1/2 vice. It's missing the quick release spring though. I think I've read somewhere that these are still available. Anyone know where I can buy one please?

mmmmmm. I was pondering this myself at the weekend. I do have a jar of standard grease to be fair so was going to give that a try. I was wondering about graphite lubrication in powder from but dont have any.

Kind Regards... Rob

mmmmmm. I was pondering this myself at the weekend. I do have a jar of standard grease to be fair so was going to give that a try. I was wondering about graphite lubrication in powder from but dont have any.

Kind Regards... Rob

Graphite is a good dry lubricant, it doesn't attract dust and dirt like oil or grease does. Not suitable in this situation though I think, as won't help to prevent rusting at all.

Any old mineral oil or grease will do.
I tend to use either 3 in 1 bike oil or grease from a grease gun, whichever happens to be nearest when needed.

Avoid linseed and other drying oils.

Last edited:
Back