oscillating sanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rewound

Established Member
Reaction score
we have one of these, very similar to the one in this picture

61xcQNav2zL.jpg

I don't know if the spindle is worn, but the belts that slide over the spindle so easily slip now. Any thoughts on how to remedy this ?

If you are talking about the spindle sander on the top and risking asking the obvious, I assume you are tightening the nut on top to expand the rubber barrel. The belt is tensioned also, is this working ok?

Could be worth roughing the surface up to give it a bit of extra purchase.

wraping a couple of turns of black duck tape should do it
yes, that does work, not wonderfully but that is what I have been doing,

If you are talking about the spindle sander on the top and risking asking the obvious, I assume you are tightening the nut on top to expand the rubber barrel. The belt is tensioned also, is this working ok?

Could be worth roughing the surface up to give it a bit of extra purchase.
Yes, but I don't think the rubber barrel is expanding or not expanding enough, may be this needs exploring a bit more.
When the machine was new, tightening this up mad a difference, it doesn't seem to now.

yes, that does work, not wonderfully but that is what I have been doing,

Yes, but I don't think the rubber barrel is expanding or not expanding enough, may be this needs exploring a bit more.
When the machine was new, tightening this up mad a difference, it doesn't seem to now.

If you mean the rubber barrels that hold the individual sanding drums, like someone above, I took a single turn of electrical insulating tape around the top and bottom of each rubber drum. If you mean the belt sander up top, I added a single layer of electrical insulating tape around about the middle of the inside of the whole belt.

Both work "OK", although I also find that pressing the workpiece "too hard" against the belt (or the drum) promotes slippage. Perhaps I was pressing too hard? Dunno.

Although my machine is green, it looks VERY much like the machine shown by the OP. Mine is called "Holzstar", though I believe that a lot of these machines are just "badge engineered" and actually come from the same factory. That appeared to be the case when I was researching these on the net before buying 2 or 3 years ago - about the only things that varied widely was the colours and the prices!

Maybe put an additional washer between the nut a barrel to encourage a bit of extra expansion. I guess once it’s slipped a bit you could have inadvertently polished the surface. Have you tried it with a new drum?

Ive got the triton bobbin one, same issue.... as others have suggested, i put some duct tape round the rubber bobbin. Mine only came with the original sandpapers and i havent destroyed any of them yet ( so i can't say if the rubber has shrunk or the belt expanded )
Tightening the nut and washer wasnt stopping the slippage, but as AES said, if you press too hard it causes this issue.
Hell of a handy machine though 🙃

Back