Record power 300 mm sander ( again )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bingy man

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
i know there has been a few threads on this machine and t b h it’s left me a little lost as I was thinking of getting one until I read the posts . Seems nothing is made to any decent standard these days . I don’t have the space, neither can I afford a professional drum sander so I like to get your thoughts on this record disk/ belt sander. At £399 compared to the 12 “ disc sander currently on sale @ £219 + free delivery is this model any better in terms of quality, dust extraction and functionality. Many thanks
Record Power BDS250 Belt And Disc Sander
Record Power

Record Power BDS250 Belt And Disc Sander  £399.99

In Our Stock
Ready For Despatch
WAS £499.99 SAVE £100.00
NOW £399.99 INC £333.33 EX

Depends purely on your use. Do you need a belt sander for what you make? If no, then get the 12" disc o e.

This machine is made in several colors with various badges but they all come from the same asian factory with minor variations. Do you need the 6 inch version as the 4 inch is cheaper and does most of what I need and don't set your expectations to high as it is a sander.

Look at this SIP version and for £190 + VAT (£227), apparently reduced from £300 + VAT .

SIP 4" x 8" Belt Disc Sander 01946 - R.D. Barrett

or from Toolden SIP 01946 102 x 914mm Belt Disc Sander 500W 230V

otherwise the 6 inch Record

https://bivenmachinerysales.co.uk/product/record-power-bds250-10-x-6-belt-disc-sander/
or SIP

https://www.toolden.co.uk/power-too...ccessories/sip-01927-6-x-10-belt-disc-sander/

I think the SIP products are as good if not marginally better than Record for sanders.

Depends purely on your use. Do you need a belt sander for what you make? If no, then get the 12" disc o e.
I have a very old makita 9401 belt sander that weighs a ton and will cope with anything so probably not ,just thinking the extra 1/2 horse power would Come in handy. To be honest my mitre saw gives a really clean cut . 👍

This machine is made in several colors with various badges but they all come from the same asian factory with minor variations. Do you need the 6 inch version as the 4 inch is cheaper and does most of what I need and don't set your expectations to high as it is a sander.

Look at this SIP version and for £190 + VAT (£227), apparently reduced from £300 + VAT .

SIP 4" x 8" Belt Disc Sander 01946 - R.D. Barrett

or from Toolden SIP 01946 102 x 914mm Belt Disc Sander 500W 230V

otherwise the 6 inch Record

https://bivenmachinerysales.co.uk/product/record-power-bds250-10-x-6-belt-disc-sander/
or SIP

https://www.toolden.co.uk/power-too...ccessories/sip-01927-6-x-10-belt-disc-sander/

I think the SIP products are as good if not marginally better than Record for sanders.
Thanks for the link ,the sip looks awesome but also large ( the record bd s 250 ) also has a quite a large footprint so the 12 “ record is probably the better option space wise. It’s really only for truing up and cuts I do by hand when the weather stops me from getting outside 👍👍

Is there a part of the tool that you are more interested in than the other ?
What I mean is is it the belt or the disc you think would be handier to you ?.

Any belt sander on its side you can use for that task, and use it obviously as a belt sander right way up, but for disc sanders, the bigger the better, and most of these combo units are a small disc, unless you spend a lot of money.
So dont get caught up in spending a lot to get something, when one or both parts of it are inadequate. Maybe best having a standard belt sander for flat sanding duties, or lain on its side on a simply made jig for side use, and have a more dedicated disc sander, going as large as you can afford.

Of course you could always build your own disc machine if those are too expensive for you to afford singly, and theres plenty of examples on you tube.

Is there a part of the tool that you are more interested in than the other ?
What I mean is is it the belt or the disc you think would be handier to you ?.

Any belt sander on its side you can use for that task, and use it obviously as a belt sander right way up, but for disc sanders, the bigger the better, and most of these combo units are a small disc, unless you spend a lot of money.
So dont get caught up in spending a lot to get something, when one or both parts of it are inadequate. Maybe best having a standard belt sander for flat sanding duties, or lain on its side on a simply made jig for side use, and have a more dedicated disc sander, going as large as you can afford.

Of course you could always build your own disc machine if those are too expensive for you to afford singly, and theres plenty of examples on you tube.
I’m not overly concerned with a belt sander as I have my old but very good makita . My main use for it is sanding end grain that has been handsawn , I can handsaw reasonably well but would just like to be able to clean them up without too much additional effort so a few seconds at a disc sander is my thought..

If you're thinking of splurging £100s on a sander you could buy a decent second hand lathe and put a disc on it. It's easy enough to make up a sanding table.
I actually like this idea but I don’t have the room for a lathe the idea is when not in use I can store it away -I appreciate your advise though.👍

Back