Opening a Workshop in 2 years - Advice needed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know the european second hand market but given a month or so I could outfit a workshop with top class cast iron industrial standard equipment for approx £10k. You don't have to jump right in to the top level of machinery - businesses grow organically and you get a better feel for the equipment you need after you've actually done the work for a year or two.

High quality machines are clearly the right way to go were they are to be used intensively. As a start up, possibly part time, one man band it is more likely they will get very light use.

If start up costs are of no concern, carry on with the top quality approach. There will be some satisfaction is using the best machines which will probably still be running in 30 years time.

As a business proposition I would be more inclined to go second hand or low/mid price new which would probably be entirely capable of doing what is required at far less cost.

Experience over the first couple of years would be helpful in identifying which machines are actually important, what capabilities are required, and which may then need to be upgraded.

Depending on your location I would be far more concerned with dealer support and spares back up.

Maybe, I would start looking at some professional cabinet makers on youtube that also happen to record their production process on video. Here are my favorite far eastern ones. They all seem to work alone on the projects, so you can notice what kind of machines they use. And you can see their results (furniture) as well.

Ishitani furniture

Kobeomusk furniture

Squarerule furniture

What I can see in all three is that the worth of all their machinery in the videos is less than 30K, or surely not much more. Also, the sizes of the machines are modest.

Maybe, I would start looking at some professional cabinet makers on youtube that also happen to record their production process on video. Here are my favorite far eastern ones. They all seem to work alone on the projects, so you can notice what kind of machines they use. And you can see their results (furniture) as well.

Ishitani furniture

Kobeomusk furniture

Squarerule furniture

What I can see in all three is that the worth of all their machinery in the videos is less than 30K, or surely not much more. Also, the sizes of the machines are modest.
Really?
I got the opposite impression - that their machines were all large and expensive, the workshops too, and that they were making very expensive things for very rich clients.
They video themselves alone I doubt they could work that way - they wouldn't be able to produce the quantity, let alone the videos, without a big team.
Possibly a big element of fantasy woodwork here and it would be interesting to see the real commercial side of their ops.
Do they sell a lot or do they run classes and sell other stuff on the side - which is a common feature of many "professional" cabinet makers, as seen on youtube? No reason why they shouldn't of course, in principle, but they may not be selling much actual woodwork.
PS or to put it another way - these workshops with large free standing machines have the capacity to produce tons of goods and employ dozens of people, hence quite wasted on a single operative, who couldn't hope to produce the quantity and diversity of stuff we see here.
PS and maybe @Skottex should be less concerned about "Opening a Workshop in 2 years" but rather more about how to start selling high end wood-ware in 2 years?,

Last edited:
If what I produced demanded machinery this size, from the off, I would seriously consider used machines; full size sliding saws can be particularly bargains, if you’re prepared to handle the logistics of moving one, but the same goes for other large machines.

I make things for pleasure, but my machines are sized to take just about anything that I can handle single handed, and I’ve less than £1500 invested in my Startrite bandsaw (£70), SCM spindle moulder (£200), Sedgwick cabinet saw (£800) and Dominion P/T (£400). Together with my track saw for full sheets, I can make some pretty big stuff.

My tan brother, however, makes his living from this stuff. He has some very nice gear, with automation, stored settings etc… but, he started with track saws and a mitre saw. And expenditure has been more than matched by extraction, compressed air, assembly and finishing spaces and simply bigger premises.

What do I take from this? That I’m confident that you can achieve your current machinery goals for a lot less, by buying second hand; you have the time to find the gear that’s right for you, and there will undoubtedly be other things to spend the money saved on. An alternative path is to start small and grow organically, but beyond that, I don’t know the market you’re selling into etc, so can’t comment on the viability of the business etc.

Good luck!

I'm currently working on opening a workshop. The process is exciting, but it is also complicated. What I've recently learned is that using a home address for a business in the UK may have its drawbacks. You can check this article https://www.hoxtonmix.com/blog/using-a-home-addrеss-for-business-in-the-uk/ for more details if interested. Utilizing a dedicated commercial address for your workshop can offer benefits such as increased credibility and professionalism. It helps differentiate your personal and business life while providing a more established presence. So, it is better to consider the potential limitations on scalability, privacy concerns, and the impact on your professional image. I addressed the virtual office services for a cost-effective solution.
Speaking about the machines, I haven't figured this question out completely, so thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

I'm currently working on opening a workshop. The process is exciting, but it is also complicated. What I've recently learned is that using a home address for a business in the UK may have its drawbacks. You can check this article https://www.hoxtonmix.com/blog/using-a-home-addrеss-for-business-in-the-uk/ for more details if interested. Utilizing a dedicated commercial address for your workshop can offer benefits such as increased credibility and professionalism.
Quite the opposite - using a false address often means dodgy dealing! What happens if someone wants to drop in on you unannounced?
It helps differentiate your personal and business life while providing a more established presence. So, it is better to consider the potential limitations on scalability, privacy concerns, and the impact on your professional image. I addressed the virtual office services for a cost-effective solution.
Cost effective solution to what problem? You don't have to "register" your address at all unless you are a limited company, though you do have to inform HMRC of your contact details if you earn enough.

Back