Old Record vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
Guys I hope you can help me out.

I grabbed this old vice of Gumtree the other day, I thought it might come in handy on an old bench I have.

Unfortunately I didn't look closely and it isn't exactly what I thought.

How would I go about fixing it to the bench.?

Pic here.

OOps. How do I get permission to post a pic.?

I need to show a pic otherwise you don't know what I am talking about.

Is there a way.?

Hi Artie

Don't worry I am having the same problem, I am not sure if its me or a Apple thingy.

Might get there one day.

Better luck
Richard

I think there is a minimum post count (3?) before you can add pictures or links ?

Cheers, Paul

It's incomplete. It should have a clamping screw so it can be fitted to a vice or table. Google "record 51 junior vice" to see what I mean.

Different vice but same principal ... :wink:

images

If I am not mistaken,the vice is recessed at the top and the lowest part of the casting almost as a sideways "U" and bolted?
By recessing , it shouldn't swing about on the bench
If you're bench top is too thin, The bench will need to be packed out underneath snugly, so as not to break the casting when bolting.
Rodders

Yep that seems to be it.

It's really a portable vice then.

Maybe that's good. I can remove it when not in use.

But in my mind I wanted a flush mounted permanent vice.

Might be worth checking out any twisted and knackered Record G clamps to see if you can use the screw from one.
Maybe about the 3" size :idea:

Andy

wizard":s0few9zf said:
it's not a very good vice it will not be a lot of use I would bin it and get something a bit better
No, don't just "bin it" , if you're going to get rid of it I hope you'd dispose of it correctly at a recycling facility.

Even if you don't want to use it as a vice it could still be useful as a somewhat clumsy clamp.

Stick it back on gumtree and look for what you really want ?

Binning it is just dumb ! :)

Cheers, Paul

Back