Nobody gives a .....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It it really only takes a cupful of water to bring up the pressure then it could be that the expansion vessel diaphragm has failed.
If so when the boiler heats up the expansion causes the pressure valve will open and vent a little water, when it cools down the pressure drops a bit. After a few cycles it then throws an error code.

It it really only takes a cupful of water to bring up the pressure then it could be that the expansion vessel diaphragm has failed.
If so when the boiler heats up the expansion causes the pressure valve will open and vent a little water, when it cools down the pressure drops a bit. After a few cycles it then throws an error code.

Handy to know - cheers!
Actually about to summon the plumber for a boiler service anyway, so no doubt he'll investigate and advise accordingly.
It's cost us a few bob over the years - five years old now? - but was a bit surprised at the outset when a "good named" outfit (Vaillant) only comes with a one year guarantee.... Hardly something to boast about!

Playing devil's advocate here, but our next door neighbour had a sewage leak on his farm a couple of weeks ago, called Wessex Water, they had someone on site that evening, and the following morning started clean up, and checked the downhill neighbour's pond.
I was pleasantly surprised.

Get thee hence, Satan!

By the way, if you want to join Yorkshire Water's "I-Spy the Drain Cover type" game when you report a leak, this is their helpful photo montage. Yes, you might get covered in ....er.....water whilst trying to "assist" them, but no matter... :giggle:
covers.JPG

I gave up contacting individual agencies and use FixMyStreet instead. Somehow that seems to get a better response from all concerned.
I tried reporting a hedge that hadn't been trimmed by the local parish council for 3 years totally covering the pavement. FMS now flags up that the conty council doesn't respond to FMS anymore.
If all else fails might in the OP incident be a job for local MP to chase up the water company.

Maybe I am a practicing Cynic but I am sure all of the paperwork or Online forms are designed for you to give up in frustration so that they can have their team meetings in peace and quiet.
Having built four houses, now wading through paperwork to get the 5th underway, the steps needed since I built the 1st in 2004 has probably multiplied by a factor of X10. We too deal with different water companies for water and sewerage. The steps to get a new sewer connection approved took six months as they kept "loosing" the forms even the ones put through their door by hand. The pandemic has created the perfect excuse to do nothing. Probably part of the regular groups of working age cyclists who swoop around every byway, now it is bloody freezing they might return to their warm offices!

Sometimes it isn't actually a "full" failure - many take the standard (car) tyre valve insert and replacing that and pumping it back up to the manufacturer's pressure rating sorts the issue out.

Some reaction from the water company at last - an enormous sludge-pump-type-vehicle-thing turned up yesterday morning, sat there for a couple of hours before the traffic light brigade turned up.
Work actually started - understandably on the road problem rather than the first-reported site - eventually.
Dusk fell, the enormous sludge-pump-type-vehicle-thing left with the crew, and left us the traffic lights for today's amusement....

Some reaction from the water company at last - an enormous sludge-pump-type-vehicle-thing turned up yesterday morning, sat there for a couple of hours before the traffic light brigade turned up.
Work actually started - understandably on the road problem rather than the first-reported site - eventually.
Dusk fell, the enormous sludge-pump-type-vehicle-thing left with the crew, and left us the traffic lights for today's amusement....
Did they really start work or were they just going through the motions?

Well, they've gone.
The sludge pump.
The traffic lights.
The road's clear.
They actually turned up with a digger this morning, to scrape all the richards/toilet paper/God knows what else off the land. Just walked by with the dog - he's VERY interested! - to see that the solution this time is to mound it all up next to the fence leading down to the railway line.
On a positive note, I suppose that's an extra barrier for the next time it happens...

Maybe I am a practicing Cynic but I am sure all of the paperwork or Online forms are designed for you to give up in frustration so that they can have their team meetings in peace and quiet.
Having built four houses, now wading through paperwork to get the 5th underway, the steps needed since I built the 1st in 2004 has probably multiplied by a factor of X10. We too deal with different water companies for water and sewerage. The steps to get a new sewer connection approved took six months as they kept "loosing" the forms even the ones put through their door by hand. The pandemic has created the perfect excuse to do nothing. Probably part of the regular groups of working age cyclists who swoop around every byway, now it is bloody freezing they might return to their warm offices!
Local authorities are some of the lasyist ar$es I've ever experienced. We do a lot of work for them and a few weeks back was fitting new Aircon in the planning dept. 7 of them working in the office and in one week all they had done was shifted 2 pages of paper. When we were having progress meetings with them it seemed everyone in the entire council turned up. one meeting 16 of them turned out and sat around the table. I couldn't beleive where they all came from.

And just when you thought it was all over, I've had a text message from Yorkshire Water this morning...

"We are aware of your external issue but are experiencing high volumes of work and we will attend when we can."

They finished it and left yesterday....

Well, God's sense of humour has struck again. The aforementioned Vaillant Eco pro 28 boiler failed yesterday morning. Looks like PCB or fan according to our plumber. LED display shows for a few seconds and then off.
No heat or water until Tuesday.
Oh joy.

Turned out to be a PCB problem....or more accurately, 2 PCBs. Our plumber had to seek advice from a colleague who works on Vaillants "all the time", and in their opinion there was little point in replacing the main unit and not replacing the smaller LED display one.
So £300 lighter, but at least we've got heating and hot water...

Cozzer,
Interesting to hear of your experience as I have the identical boiler fitted. As a former electronics engineer I find it frustrating that a small fault in a circuit board renders it inoperative and silly money to replace.

Local authorities are some of the lasyist ar$es I've ever experienced. We do a lot of work for them and a few weeks back was fitting new Aircon in the planning dept. 7 of them working in the office and in one week all they had done was shifted 2 pages of paper. When we were having progress meetings with them it seemed everyone in the entire council turned up. one meeting 16 of them turned out and sat around the table. I couldn't beleive where they all came from.
We had some 10x8 prefab office roofs to shift. I called everyone I knew, anyone with a flatbed etc. No one was interested. Popped into council parks dept yards sure when do you want it doing? Friday morning it's in the diary.

Friday came my co volunteer said they aren't coming it's 9.45 so we pop round the yard were just clearing the truck on our way.....

So it works both ways not punctual but they got the job done!

Cozzer,
Interesting to hear of your experience as I have the identical boiler fitted. As a former electronics engineer I find it frustrating that a small fault in a circuit board renders it inoperative and silly money to replace.

Yes, XTiffy...me too.
The plumber admitted it could've been literally a dry solder joint - that's how bloody ludicrous it is. When I checked it turned out to be just over 6 years old - a bit older than I remembered - but what I also found amazing was the 12 month only warranty when originally fitted. It looks as though the dreaded "7 year life expectancy for white goods" is being borne out.
That said, it replaced the ancient Glow-worm something-or-other that we inherited when we purchased the place. We realised it was on death row from day one, but it (and we!) struggled on manfully for a few years until it became stupid, and was replaced by the (same) plumber.
We've had a few problems with it in the 6 years - nothing particularly desperate, mainly the F22 error which seems to be the No.1 error with the Eco-Tec range, and this model in particular. It's usually solved by topping up the water - you'll probably know how to light up the display screen, and let enough water in so it rests between the min and max lines. Another tip he gave us on day one was not to bother with the clock/timer - well-known for being inaccurate apparently, so we control ours from the thermostat downstairs.
Anyway, we got up on Thursday/Friday/whichever to find no display at all. Changed the 3A fuse in the power switch, and momentarily the screen lit to reveal the F22 error....opened the taps to bring the water pressure up, but no... the display reverted to black and the usual noises stopped. Seeing it had "fired", I figured the fuse again, so tried another. Same thing....
The rest you know.
Why both PCBs required? Dunno.
I sat in the bathroom and watched. It took him longer to unclip the PCBs than to fit the new ones. The few cables that have to be attached resemble the old connectors in a desktop computer of a few years ago. It's obvious from the cable length where they fit, and would be difficult (impossibe?) to connect wrongly. The two Vaillant manuals he left are illustrated like a child's book, albeit written in German and English. The second manual guides you through various diagnostics....and that was it.
The old boards were placed in the electro bags the replacements came in, and away....to be checked for the dodgy solder joint maybe, and sold as "refurbished"?! Who knows!

I now wait for the next F22, which usually takes every 7/8 days to appear, but of course our event diary has been thrown out of kilter!

Will have to dig out the details but there is a firm up north who advertise refurbished boards for most boilers for about £50 they are on e bay. Having chatted to them they say that many types have known components that are prone to failure, they replace them with better quality components. Their board in my Glow worm has already outlasted the original, and they wanted about £250 for a new one.

in my first house decades ago I put in a Worcester boiler. Yes you could do it yourself back then. Never had a problem with it while we lived there. When we bought our current house nine years ago we immediately replaced the boiler which was on its last legs and went for a Worcester again. It is still working flawlessly. We have a place we rent out and that needed a new boiler in 2018 and on the recommendation of the plumber went with a glow worm. In 2020 it needed a new pressure gauge and this week it needs a new pressure valve and cylinder. My daughter has an ideal eco and has had that repaired twice in the last two years. The only boilers I’m going to use in the future are Worcester.

Back