Newbie wants to build a coffee table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

Thanks again for all the great feedback. I've decided to do it the hard way. I'll first build a table using use cheaper wood and/or a smaller scale (great idea Shultzy!) before taking on the real thing.

Before buying anything, I'd like to run through the process from start to finish so that I'm clear on the tasks involved and tools required. Here's my take... Please let me know where I've gone wrong...

Pre-build
1. Design coffee table, including measurements.
2. Decide on tools and purchase
3. Decide on wood and purchase
4. Decide on stain and varnish and purchase

Table top
1. Select wood for table top, considering defects, grain etc
2. Cut/plane pieces to correct dimensions
3. Edge joining process
4. Cut joined top to correct length and sand entire table top
5. Stain wood
6. Varnish

Feet
1. Select wood for feet, considering defects, grain etc
2. Cut/plane pieces to correct dimensions
3. Join wood if necessary
4. Cut rebate to fit around table top (rebate/lap joint)
5. Sand
6. Stain (different colour to table top)
7. Varnish (possibly different finish to table top)

Assemble
1. Attach feet to table**
2. Take and post pictures to forum.

** Not sure which method to use. Can I glue varnished pieces? As I want a matt finish for the table top and glossy finish for the feet, I figured varnishing before assembly would simplify matters. Is this advisable?

Finally, a couple of questions about the timber merchant... How much of the preparation (cutting, planing etc) can/should I get the timber merchant to do for me? Can they make the wood ready for edge-joining? Given my lack of tools and experience, this could vastly simplify things.

Also, anyone know of a good timber merchant near Fleet, Hants? The timber merchant map (sticky) didn't have anyone close to Fleet.

As always - thanks in advance! Much appreciated!!

Regards,
Lunk

Yes, sounds like a good idea to do one on a smaller scale first!

Pre-build process, in the design stage, decide on what joints you will be using. I wouldn't buy the stain first, I would make the piece and then have a think about it. Maybe try it on just a test piece of wood first.

Table top process, edge joining. Decide on the joint. Is it just butt joints, biscuit joints, or something else.... maybe dowels?

Feet, cut rebate to fit around table top? What do you mean by that?

Attaching a table top to a frame is usually done using "buttons". But it can be done with just slotted screw hole pieces... This allows the timber top to move freely. I would strongly advise against putting any sort of stain/paint coating on timbers that need to be glued together. The glue will just not stick.

My experience with timber merchants is that there alright for rough sawn timbers, however there maching services are probably not upto the standard required for furniture in my opinion. However, going out and buying a decent planer/thicknesser will be costly and the small bench top ones are probably not up to scratch. My suggestion would be to enquire at a local joinery shop for the required timber PAR Planed All Round.

Welcome Lunk,

The project isn't going to be so simple, but with care you should manage. I'm not familiar with your woodwork book, but it probably mentions 'torsion-boxes'. That's how I'd choose to make the top, to save on timber.

As for the car...

Well they are waterproof. Leave it on the drive! Let it drip dry, and it's not so likely to rust. :D
Mind you it's easy for me to talk. I haven't got a 'desirable target' car. I might think differently if I had.

Best of luck.

John :)

If I was to recommend a drill..... cordless however, it would be one from the "Ryobi +One" range. I've had a combi drill and jigsaw set of theirs now for about 2/3 years, and its been used daily. Great tools. And if the batteries do go their are plenty of replacements available, mine are ni-cad batteries, the old style, but new versions of the li-on are available now and will work with even my old style of cordless.

Latest posts

Back