Newbie wants to build a coffee table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunk

Reaction score
Hi All,

First post, so be gentle :)

After months of hunting, I’ve finally found a coffee table I like – but I’m not impressed with the quality or the price. It’s a fairly simple design so I’ve decided to try and make it myself! The problem is that I have no training, no experience and no tools! All I have right now is a design, some motivation and a brand new copy of the Collins Complete Woodworker’s Manual. I’m hoping that with your guidance I can do this - and potentially pick up a new hobby.

Here’s a pic of the original item:

http://www.diabehbehani.com/natuzzi/img/baster.jpg

It’s not at all heavy. The table top is hollow and veneered. The legs are made of tin. My version will be all wood and considerably heavier. As with the original, I want the legs to look different from the top, so I’ll either pick different wood, a different stain, a different finish (polish vs. matt) or a combination. Perhaps I’ll even paint the legs. Not sure yet. What I do know is that I want at least the table top to be very dark with a straight, subtle grain, like this:

http://www.trayler.com/gifs/Ebonized-Walnut_web.jpg

As mentioned, I don’t have any tools yet. If the coffee table goes well, I’d like to move on to a simple book case and then possibly a dining table. I want to stick to simple, yet striking items that can be produced relatively quickly, but quality will be my primary focus. So at least for the first few pieces, I intend to stick to straight lines. No curves, bending or carving or anything like that. Basically, if it can be achieved mostly with common power tools (e.g. saw, router) then it’s in scope. Chairs (with curved backs), for example, are definitely out of scope for the time being.

I’ve already mentioned quality once in terms of finished pieces. However, I’ll mention it again on the topic of tools. I am new to this, but I don’t want to waste money on tools that I’ll quickly outgrow. I want to spend money wisely on the right tools. I haven’t set a budget, but woodworking is unlikely to be more than a hobby for me, so I don’t want to spend thousands. I’d rather buy a small set of core, multi-purpose tools of decent quality (for the hobbyist). Space is an issue so everything must be relatively portable. I’ll use my garage for woodworking, but I must be able to pack things away or at least push worktables/saws against the wall when not in use so that I can park my car in the garage when I’m not woodworking.

This post is starting to get a bit long, so before I go on to write war and peace, let me try and wrap it up by asking two fundamental questions:

1. What woods/materials would you recommend for the piece? I was thinking solid woods as it may be easier (for a newbie) to work with than veneers. Please also mention recommended stains/varnishes and tools. I should mention that I prefer durable, low-maintenance furniture. Tough woods are good. I’ve never been a fan of furniture that has to be dragged outside (or into a workshop) annually to be oiled etc.

2. What is the minimal toolset I need in order to build this, some bookshelves and a dining table? Although the picture of the coffee table doesn’t show a pattern, I’m thinking that I may want a groove or two along the edge of the table top, so a router is in scope. I also don’t want to make life too hard for myself (e.g. manual sawing) and increasing the scope for error. I’m a perfectionist and I’d rather spend 10 minutes lining up a power saw for a 30-second cut than spend 5 minutes manually sawing and ending up with a skew line.

If you’re still reading – thanks for sticking with me and thanks in advance for your help!!

Regards,
Lunk

baster.jpg

Ebonized-Walnut_web.jpg

Welcome
You got spam-trapped, it will go away after a few posts
CHeers
Steve

It might look simple, but I would say that that was pretty ambitious for a first project.

Because of its bulk, there will be a lot of gluing up to do - you could not make it out of on big single piece, for example. That means being able to prepare stock flat and square, glue up with invisible glue lines, clean up a surface where the grain may well go in different directions etc, etc.

Also, all the power tools in the world are not going to eliminate some hand-tool work, particularly in finishing.

It's a striking table and if you are up for it, then more power to your elbow. But it's not a trivial project so don't underestimate it, that's all.

Cheers
Steve

I agree with Steve here...that's a good project but trickier than it appears, mainly as it's very chunkable.
The whole issue of kit and tools is like walking down a thorny and contentious road, you'll receive lots of different opinions from members on what not to buy and stuff that's essential. All sorts of issues come into the equation, two of the main ones are budget and space? - Rob

Lunk":wx3rs6yn said:
but woodworking is unlikely to be more than a hobby for me,

That's where most of us started and probably still are - but hobby would be a mild description of the affliction. :lol:

Lunk":wx3rs6yn said:
... so I don’t want to spend thousands.

Well you might not spend thousands - but I'd be surprised if you got any change out at somewhere near £1k.

Oh - Welcome to the forum and don't step on the slopes! :wink:

Hi, Lunk

Power tools allow you to make mistakes faster than hand tools.

Its a tricky table to make you could use veneered MDF and miter the sides/ends and the legs but that would be tricky with out a decent table saw.

Pete

Veneered mdf top in a torsion box construction and as the sides would appear to be say 2" deep - veneer them. Feet attach to the underside of the torsion box.

The side could also be mdf - that way minimal planing to do.

Just my 2c worth.

could you get all of the components cut by your local timber merchants from a single sheet of veneered MDF? I believe they can cut mitres on their panel saws as well?? Some one whill correct me if I'm wrong.

Even with the cost of the sheet and all the cuts it would come in pretty cheap and still look good I think.

You would then only need some clamps and glue and to make some feet.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with it.

mickthetree":2kgne0ww said:
could you get all of the components cut by your local timber merchants from a single sheet of veneered MDF? I believe they can cut mitres on their panel saws as well?? Some one will correct me if I'm wrong.

Have a look in the 'Finishing Advice' forum - I'm not a newbie, but I haven't made much in the last few years (coming back to 'proper' woodworking after a too-long break), but I'm finding it invaluable.

What prompted the comment was Mick's suggestions above: it strikes me as a really good idea, but you might also need a bit of matching stain and possibly filler (the mitres may not be perfect!), and you'll want to finish the wood nicely too - it makes all the difference.

Personally I wouldn't tackle the coffee table at this stage of your experience. The bookcase is probably a better bet as it doesn't involve complicated cutting and jointing. Post a pic and we can advise.

Welcome to the forum! :D Nice to see you're enthusiastic, but be warned.... its a slippery slope! :roll:

Firstly, you obviously need to work out a plan/ sketch with sizes and notes to go with the design of the coffee table you are planning to make, when planning think about the method of assembly and this will help you plan what tools you are going to need.
On my website http://www.simonswoodwork.tk In my projects section, I have photographed and written up the whole construction of a coffee table I made, which maybe of help to you.

Woods to work with... for a newbie, softwood is cheapest and less costly if you make a mistake and can be stained, however the grain isn't as nice as say... oak. Buy hardwood that is going to be durable & hardwearing. The timber is upto you as it is you who needs to look at it, but choose one thats hardwearing. This list of hardwoods will give you an idea.... http://www.sykestimber.co.uk/hardwood.html

Tools.... as I've already said you will need to purchase these as you plan and as the work progresses. But some basics I think you should have would be.... hand saw, tenon saw, claw hammer, set of chisels, tape measure, nail punch, pincers, wood drill bits, flat/spade bits, HSS bits, cordless drill, screwdriver bits, hand screw drivers, pliers, router, set of router bits, smoothing plane, block plane, diamond sharpening stone, marking gauge, combination square, set square, sliding bevel, jigsaw, steel ruler.... thats a list of some of the tools i can think you should have in my opinion....

You say you would like to have perfect cuts.... you can get great cuts with your handsaw, but that comes with practice! Obviously theres power tools/machines that can do this for you... Mitre saws, table saws & bandsaws....! Just depends how much you're looking at spending.

Hope that goes some way to helping you....?
Simon

How much is the original table?

..how much are you willing to spend?

Wow! What a great forum. Thank you for all the replies!!

I’m still digesting all the feedback, but it seems that I have two DIY options: veneered MDF (easier) or hardwood (difficult). Both options are attractive for different reasons, but I’d like to explore them both a little more before making a decision. So I have a few more questions...

Starting with veneer MDF:

- I had no idea this even existed. Typically, how thick is the veneer and is the quality any good? I’m concerned that if the veneer layer is very thin that even minor knocks to table edges would reveal the inner mdf. How good could the finish look (assuming I did it properly)?

- If I understand mickthetree correctly, the merchant could potentially cut veneer for both the top and the sides and I’d simply need to glue the sides at right angles to the top? I’d previously only considered mitre joints from a 2 dimensional perspective (e.g. a single mitre cut to the ends of each piece of wood – think for photo frames) rather than the 3d perspective of mitre cuts to multiple edges to create a bevel. Am I on the right track?

Moving on to hardwoods:

What is the correct terminology for joining wood together to form a larger surface? Is it jointing? It's not mentioned in my woodworking book and I haven't found a large amount of info on the topic online just yet. I want to make sure I'm using the correct terminology so that I can read up on this. So far, I’ve got joiner_sim’s coffee table web page (thank you) and I found another forum thread entitled “first sawn board project”. If you have any links to helpful sites or videos on the topic, please share!!

Although I still need to research both options thoroughly, I’ve never been one to take the easy road so the hardwood option is appealing. After all, I’d have to learn it sometime, right? What I don’t want is to undertake a project that will almost certainly guarantee failure and then be put off woodworking. So my last question for this post is: with your help and a slow, methodical approach of posting pics and asking questions, can it be done (by a newbie)? I’m even happy to practice the technique on cheaper wood first before moving on to the real thing. I don’t want to wear out my welcome by asking too many questions, but it could also make quite a nice thread if we somehow get from my first (very naive) posts all the way to a finished product!

Finally, to answer some of the questions asked:

- koolwabbit, thanks for the suggestion. I’m in Fleet, Hants. I think I’ll delay the conversations on wood and tools until I’ve learned more about jointing, but I appreciate your help!

- Tintin, the original table RRP is £500, although I could probably get it for around £400. It’s definitely cheaper to buy it than tool up to make one, but I reckon the tools will pay for themselves over time. Also, I'm not happy with the quality of the original table. I probably wouldn’t want to spend more than £1k at this stage.

- joiner_sim, thanks for all the info. I’ll review and digest over the next few days.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,
Lunk

You are right about veneered MDF being vulnerable to knocks, especially at corners. It usually just 0.7mm thick and can easily be less after sanding. One approach is to run a small rebate around theedge and attach a matching piece of solid wood, which takes knocks better.

I think your idea of having a go with softwood first is a good one. You could joint a load of softwood (ask for "Unsorted") and learn to plane flat and square. You'll need a No 4 or No 5 plane, a shapening stone (such as an oilstone, waterstone, ceramic, or papers for Scary Sharp), a try-square, marking gauge, straight edge and clamps. Make the top and see what pitfalls you find along the way. If the result is good you can be confident about doing it again using more expensive materials. And if it isn't, you've not had the disappointment of all that money being wasted.

Remember, if there are no pictures, it never happened! There is a Sticky at the top of the General Chat Forum about posting pics.

Good luck
Steve

Lunk":23jmhbhj said:
Starting with veneer MDF:

- I had no idea this even existed. Typically, how thick is the veneer and is the quality any good? I’m concerned that if the veneer layer is very thin that even minor knocks to table edges would reveal the inner mdf. How good could the finish look (assuming I did it properly)?

I don't think the veneers are any more than 1mm thick, if that (sand it with caution!! :wink:). Generally, you would also 'lip' the edges with solid timber as well - this hides the MDF edge and offers greater resistance. These can be biscuit-jointed in place. Don't bother with the very thin iron-on banding stuff. :p

Lunk":23jmhbhj said:
Moving on to hardwoods:

What is the correct terminology for joining wood together to form a larger surface? Is it jointing? It's not mentioned in my woodworking book and I haven't found a large amount of info on the topic online just yet. I want to make sure I'm using the correct terminology so that I can read up on this. So far, I’ve got joiner_sim’s coffee table web page (thank you) and I found another forum thread entitled “first sawn board project”. If you have any links to helpful sites or videos on the topic, please share!!

It sounds like you mean edge-jointing. Again, you could use biscuits here for alignment but, the glue alone would do most of the work.

Commercial veneers are .6mm thick before gluing to the substrate. After boards have been stuffed through a commercial sander, the veneers are generally paper thin...beware!
I've seen a number of cases in commercial 'shops where the veneer has been enthusiastically sanded right through to to base material :oops:

Hence my tag line :wink: - Rob

Ah ....... I remember those days well ..... the enthusiasm, the willingness, the ideas.

20 yrs as a 'professional' with my own business and one heart attack later my advice is to run like hell in the opposite direction lest you get hooked - cos once timber replaces yer blood your buggered - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

Doing a work in progress thread on the forum will help you alot. But remember to take pictures, for everyone to see and so they can understand what you mean and also give extra ideas to the design...

Asking questions on the forum isn't something new, its what its all about learning and progressing.

Lunk, how about making your coffee table one quarter or one eighth size. Gives you plenty of practice, has the same construction techniques, easier to handle and wouldn't cost the earth if you make a mistake.

Back