My lathe is ticking :( DML305

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New bearings arrived today - different brands to the ones it came fitted with, made in Japan this time :) We'll see if they do the trick, just need to go pick up some external circlip pliers as can't seem to find mine anywhere.

I'll report back

hawkeyefxr":yn4utobc said:
mmm first off i was going to say the belt was loose as this happened to me on my DML305 when i did not tighten it enough, but then you removed the cover and that ended that.

Now having read ALL the posts lol. Can i ask hoe you got the bearing out? I have had the hand wheel off and pulley and the bearing and indexing cog are on there kin tight!

If it's still under warranty and Record Power are okay with you doing this (just inc case of warranty issues later) then this is how I did it, might not be their specific procedure but it seemed to work out for me:

1. Remove hand wheel and pulley
2. Remove power switch, unplug the cables and remove them all from the headstock. Take a photo of wiring to avoid any problems later.
3. Unbolt headstock from bed with the 4 socket cap allen screws at its base.
4. Take headstock off, reach inside and loosen the 4mm allen key holding the indexing gear to the shaft - I needed the wiring out of the way to do this .
5. Remove the 25mm external circlip from the exposed pulley end of the shaft.
6. Tap out the shaft on the pulley end with a soft mallet, will be a bit tight but it slides out.
7. With the shaft out put the headstock on it's side and use a dowel or similar to reach through the pulley end bearing to the other bearings - tap them out. There are two to come out stacked in front of each other, will need a bit of tapping since they're a tight fit in the headstock casting. Only tap them by the inner race, try not to damage the rubber dust seals if you want to reuse the bearings.
8. With the two front bearings out the pulley end one is easy, flip headstock over and tap it out the same way as the others.

To reassemble it's pretty self explanatory but

1. Tap the bearings into place first using a soft mallet/lump of wood to get them to go in square and then push the shaft through them, remembering to slip on the indexing gear (and make sure it's facing the right way... don't be like me and do it wrong twice).
2. Re-fit the external circlip, swear a bit and make sure you can find your external circlip pliers. Optional: trash the circlip using the wrong tool, find a shop open this evening that sells circlips and external circlip pliers...
3. Refit power switch and wiring, bolt headstock back to the bed.
4. Refit pulley, refit hand knob.

Update:

Back together and it's working great - noise has gone.

Either it was one of the bearings or I fixed something by taking it apart and putting it back together again, whatever it was has gone. Back to work!

Have to say Record Power were great, getting new bearings out to me quickly and saving me from sending it away for repair - I appreciate a company that trusts people to fix something.

Thanks for all the replies.

Attachments

• IMG_20171009_203221363_resize.jpg
    IMG_20171009_203221363_resize.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 640
Well done Pickledegg :)
That sort of noise can be a real problem to pinpoint. I've even had a paper template making a noise on the lathe bed, never mind two tools clicking together.
All's well (until next time ;))

Back