Monty Don's craft show (woodworking) SPOILER

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
I've started a new thread so I could add the spoiler tag.

Just watched the woodworking edition. It shows the huge void between enthusiastic amateur and a lifetime of skilled practice. The trainees were competent at best (not saying I'd be any better). I think the designers judging the finished articles were kind. Having heard their comments on the close up view, I doubt that either of the tables would make the shop floor.

As for the lad who bailed out.....what a chance to miss out on at his time of life, obviously thought he was out of his depth and didn't want to embarrass himself.

I enjoyed the show and didn't sit and think 'what a mess' at any point. I'm left with the confirmation of the obvious. Experience cannot be imitated.

Grayorm":yz053sla said:
.... I doubt that either of the tables would make the shop floor.
They feature on the Benchmark site. Look quite good too.
As for the lad who bailed out.....what a chance to miss out on at his time of life, obviously thought he was out of his depth and didn't want to embarrass himself.
Wasn't he at the RCA or something? If so I think he had more sense than to fiddle about on a fly-by-night TV prog working for Benchmark - who are basically posh IKEA (nothing wrong with that of course - IKEA is strong on design but make too cheaply).

Interesting though. You could tell the Scottish chap had no design background at all, unlike the other two. This put him at a huge disadvantage, but then you have to start somewhere!

PS there was a big emphasis on "fine craftsmanship" etc but personally I think this is misleading. Design is king; any fool (with the right kit and machinery) can be a fine craftsman.
If it was a race I'd put my money on the Scotch chap - he seemed the most committed by far, and with fewest options to fall back on. And he made a huge step forwards in his design skill - moving from amateur woodworker complexity to sophisticated simplicity, in a very short time. Quite impressive.

Jacob":1rqrl1qg said:
Grayorm":1rqrl1qg said:

I can't see either of them on the page that link goes to Jacob.
There is one that's similar to the Scots guy's but his legs were semi-circles, the ones on the site have a straight element with a curve at either end.

Grayorm":2p2tt75r said:
Jacob":2p2tt75r said:
Grayorm":2p2tt75r said:

There is one that's similar to the Scots guy's but his legs were semi-circles, the ones on the site have a straight element with a curve at either end.

They are there just slightly refined .
Rowen side table and Nymph side table

Grayorm":4l9pgoo5 said:
Jacob":4l9pgoo5 said:
Grayorm":4l9pgoo5 said:

Both there when I looked. The straightened one is the Scottish person's design but modified slightly to eliminate the wobble - the legs are joined at two spaced apart points rather than one single point.

I would like to give that 'Craftsman' whoever he was, a 12 foot plank of rough-sawn oak, 12 x 2 inches, a jack plane, and say, 'Here brother, Knock yourself out!'

His advice not to reduce timber to manageable sizes before dimensioning was fine, for a small box such as they were asked to make, but sometimes it's best to reduce. The programme didn't make that very clear. I still can't see how a three legged stool can be wobbly. But it was... 8)

Just watched it on catch up, nice workshop with plenty of Festools on show :)

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

RogerBoyle":1utis12v said:

They are there just slightly refined .
Rowen side table and Nymph side table

I stand corrected, (as usual) could have sworn the Nymph wasn't there. £500 & £400 each.......nice

Ill buck the trend on this one i'm affraid.

I thought for 2 weeks project time the resultant tables were pretty poor. I dont know their full backgrounds and experiences though so i might be being a little unfair. But still... £495 & £595 for those??? really???

If those tables ever sell will soemone give me the buyers name so I can flog him some of my stuff LOL

Nice open workshop though. I'd give me right arm for something like that as opposed to my gloomy single car garage.

And yes, that clampet quitting after the first day was rediculus. Spoilt brat wasting a golden opportunity.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

I watched the program from the link posted here. Thanks.

At the timing mark around 7 mins when making the box it looked as if the maker rounder over an edge on an upturned router.

What method or holding device was being used to work that router, does anyone know?

devonwoody":3s75vkn3 said:
What method or holding device was being used to work that router, does anyone know?

I think he just had it clamped in a vice but then I didnt pay much attention.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

devonwoody":3iea24r2 said:
I watched the program from the link posted here. Thanks.

At the timing mark around 7 mins when making the box it looked as if the maker rounder over an edge on an upturned router.

Clamped in the vice with a fence on the router......no fancy wancy Norm type stuff such as router tables here!

vice.JPG

Attachments

• vice.JPG
    vice.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 223
Exile":kmji563v said:
I thought for 2 weeks project time the resultant tables were pretty poor. I dont know their full backgrounds and experiences though so i might be being a little unfair. But still... £495 & £595 for those??? really???

Hello,

Those tables in a commercial workshop would have to be made entirely in less than 3 days each, to stand being viable at those prices £495 / £595 is not overpriced, if that's what you think; though it might seem so. I think they are OK for the price. The contestants, for want of a better word, were obviously very inexperienced, but they were certainly keen. I doubt they realise how hard it is to make a reasonabl living at making things, either.

Mike.

Exile":1lr52i6e said:
.... But still... £495 & £595 for those??? really???T
The ones for sale are better made and changed slightly. On the prog you just saw prototypes
If those tables ever sell will soemone give me the buyers name so I can flog him some of my stuff LOL
Get out there and start selling! What's stopping you? You could try Benchmark for a start, I expect they buy stuff in, as well as making it.

woodbrains":12aakcay said:
Exile":12aakcay said:

Hello,

Those tables in a commercial workshop would have to be made entirely in less than 3 days each, to stand being viable at those prices £495 / £595 is not overpriced, if that's what you think; though it might seem so. I think they are OK for the price. The contestants, for want of a better word, were obviously very inexperienced, but they were certainly keen. I doubt they realise how hard it is to make a reasonabl living at making things, either.

Mike.
In a commercial workshop they'd be made in batches, 60 legs, 20 tops, etc. Not necessarily put together in a batch, but ready. One at a time would be madness.

Hello,

Yes, of course batches, which is how one unit item can be done in less than 3 days. This also increases risk, if the design is not popular, the maker has a lot if unsold stock on their hands and the associated storage issues and lost investment in time and resources. The price for the items is still reasonable, considering overheads, workshop expenses, makers wages, etc etc. it is common to think in terms of materials costs, but that is almost insignificant to the final price of a thing.

Mike.

Edit, bad spelling corrected.

Latest posts

Back