Monty dons real craft 9 pm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
Monty dons real craft on more4 (freeview 14) sounds like it could be promising- 9 o clock tonight.
"Monty don helps gifted amateurs revive crafts of the past as they compete to win a prized commission from a prestige buyer. This time, three amateur blacksmiths hammer it out"

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

We had The Great British Bake-off, the Sewing Bee, and on it's way is the 'Allotments Challenge'
What's the betting there won't be a 'Woodwork Challenge?' It's difficult to imagine how it would be arranged, but then it takes time to produce from an allotment, so why not the Great British Woodwork Challenge'?
I wonder if this Monty Don programme will just be a repeat from last year?

"Doh" #-o . I saw the title of this on the free-view wotsit, didn't bother looking into the description, I just assumed it was jewellery making or paper folding. Better set the doodad to record for the next ones.

I missed it last night also but thanks to BugBear I was able to watch it today ... very enjoyable.

phil.p":1ovqhpnw said:
undergroundhunter":1ovqhpnw said:
I really enjoyed this, I think its a shame more people are not taking up traditional crafts.

Matt
It's a pity people haven't a snowball's chance in hell of earning a living at them :roll: .

I don't think that is strictly true, some people earn a wage from it of they would disappear completely. I think its partly down to our "throw away" culture. 150 years ago if you broke your garden spade you took it to your local blacksmith (who probably made it in the first place) to carry out the repairs, if you broke one now (and didn't posses the skills to fix it yourself) it would be thrown away and off to B&Q to buy a new one.
Most mass produced furniture is MDF, chipboard or plywood disguised one way or another, the joints are mostly non existent or of a poor quality, so when it brakes/becomes damaged or you fancy a change it gets binned and a new one bought.

To be honest things are just not made to last anymore or they are designed by accountants and not engineers or crafts people.

This is now the way of the world or so I'm told. I for one find this mentality very frustrating.

The reason I got into woodworking in the first place is because I want to make furniture for myself and family that will last the rest of my life and hopefully most of my sons life until it will need "maintenance". I have just re glued some chairs for my dad that came from his grandmas house (as far as I can tell they hadn't been touched before I took them apart) this puts them at least 100 years old! Thats not bad going for something that has been in use pretty much daily for the last 100 years.

Matt

p.s It may sound like I'm one of the older generation but in actual fact I'm 25 and have a young family, as far as I'm concerned I've just seen the light.

Don't worry Matt. I know one 45 year old who doesn't get furniture repaired. And she has no excuse. She has only to ask! 8)

Benchwayze":3csrwadu said:
Don't worry Matt. I know one 45 year old who doesn't get furniture repaired. And she has no excuse. She has only to ask! 8)

Tell me about it! (hammer) The chairs I refered to my dad had thought it appropriate to put some 6" screws through the front of the seat tenons, it was at that point I took them off him (and confiscated his drill/driver lol) and said why didn't you just ask!

Matt

Panic not, it seems to be repeated early on Saturday evenings ...

More 4
Saturday 19th 17:00

Brand new: Monty Don helps gifted amateurs revive crafts of the past as they compete to win a prized commission from a prestige buyer. This time, three amateur blacksmiths hammer it out.

a lot of modern stuff is at best ersatz, substitute for substitutes. To keep my modern tools and equipment working I have to use my 90 year old Holbrook lathe and it will outlast everything I own.
3 weeks ago I bought a new bandsaw, Fox 14" throat. I had to down load the manual from Charnwood to put the base together, couldn't get a response from them. It worked the first time I used it, but the guide slide was jammed fro my second use. after giving up on support I took it apart and fixed it, it then rand fine. Today tried to use it and it wont start, completely dead. There are going to be changes in its anatomy real soon.

I enjoyed it and will watch the rest of the series, but...

nanscombe":rkd9o842 said:
More 4
Saturday 19th 17:00

Brand new: Monty Don helps gifted amateurs revive crafts of the past as they compete to win a prized commission from a prestige buyer. This time, three amateur blacksmiths hammer it out.

... why does everything on TV have to be a competition? Just like the British Bake Off, the Sewing Bee, the Allotment Challenge etc... I feel like this is an American influence intended to make it more dramatic

Thanks for the reminder Coley - we watched it on +1.

It was good to see a programme about the black arts but I learnt a lot more about her back trouble, his food poisoning and the other one's wife and kids to support than black smithing. Seemed to be more like the X Factor without the singing, or "The X Factor" in fact.

No mention of the metal, the tools or the process.

Pacify the masses with bread and circuses. Don't educate them, keep them in the dark.
We're still being governed by Roman principles.

Richard T":3bcf3u8o said:
but I learnt a lot more about her back trouble, his food poisoning and the other one's wife and kids to support than black smithing. Seemed to be more like the X Factor without the singing, or "The X Factor" in fact.

No mention of the metal, the tools or the process.

+1

Yes more like "how I deal with my problems" than how to Blacksmith.

The Mentor's work they showed was outstanding though.

Rod

Back