Monty dons real craft 9 pm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. Who was optimistic enough to expect craft detail?!

I'll stick with web-watching Roy Underhill.

BugBear

I started to watch this on catch up but gave up shortly after the first ads break when he gave a summary of programme so far, plus as others have said there was hardly any content about technique, materials, tools etc. Very poor! Monty Don must be desperate for work to have done this programme.

Monty not been the same since he had Box Blight.

Pete

It wouldn't have taken much to skip the endless summaries after each ad break and use the time to explain what the fundamental processes are, what the tools are, what's easy and what is difficult, but the format rules seem unbreakable.

I suspect blacksmithing is a bit more complicated - and interesting - than just 'get it hot and hit it' - but this didn't enlighten me.

I'll watch the others though... :wink:

I think Monty probably gets paid as an extra on Nigel's show. :lol:

Oh, poor Nigel. :(

The genius who cured my dog

Nigel is our five-year-old golden retriever. Until last September, his life was almost entirely rosy. Throw a tennis ball and he was content. He would return with the slobbery ball and place it delicately in the barrow, on the hedge or even, occasionally, on the nape of your neck as you were bent forward in the border.

Then everything went horribly wrong. It was a Friday, the day after two intense filming days in the garden for Gardeners’ World. Nigel had featured in the filming as he usually did, patiently doing as he was asked again and again.
It was about 9am and I was at my desk writing my weekly column for this magazine. Nigel was outside playing in the garden. He placed his ball on top of the box hedge. Just as we’d done a thousand times before, someone flicked it away for him to chase. He leapt in the air to take it, twisting sideways with his astonishingly acrobatic flexibility. I heard the scream from indoors

By the time I got outside and found him, Nigel was lying in the arms of one of the people who help in the garden, yelping and terrified, his hindquarters flopping uselessly. We didn’t know it then, but he’d twisted with such force that one of the discs in his back had exploded, firing the liquid inside it like a bullet through his spinal cord, partially severing it. In a millisecond he’d gone from a supremely fit, happy dog to a paralysed heap.

Harbo":1e30ie4b said:
The Mentor's work they showed was outstanding though.

They only showed that funny leafy bowl thingy though, and that was for all of 5 seconds.

Programme was rushed I felt, never really (as many have said) showed the whats and whys and hows of various processes, possibley because the 3 trainees had previous 'home amateur' experience, and whilst they had an understanding of the basics, it was never shown to the casual viewer as such.

As also stated, there is no money in doing purely that, hence the use of welding equipment and say, angle grinders to provide clients with other metalwork to suit their needs (of course in both wood and metal, the customer doesn't care how you've made it, just as long as the end product looks and does what its supposed to I guess)

Back