Man gets new tablesaw AW10BSB2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Well, i found that the Kity was no longer up to the jobs I asked of it. Ripping 2" oak was a little more than it was comfortable with. So, I concluded that I had to buy a new saw.

I ended up with this one

I considered 4
Large Xcaliber 806 (a la Philly)
Smaller circa £500 Xcaliber
SIP
Axminster

All are large cast iron saws - I don't care if the table is cast iron or aluminium, but at this size, the majority are cast iron, so there it is, I have a cast iron tablesaw.

Right away, the 806 was off the list - too expensive and no benefit over the Axi and SIP other than a dado capability that I really don't care about. The table area is smaller too. **

The small Xcalibre. Don't like it much at all. Open frame and motor sticking out???

The SIP is nice but the build and finishing quality leaves a bit to be desired. I have looked at and played with 4 in total and on all of these, the extension table had a different camber machined on it to the main table. A lack of attention to detail that may be reflected elsewhere. Also, on these 4, the cabinet pieces did not line up too well, again leaving me with 'budget' feeling. Also, on each of them, the mitre was very sloppy indeed in the slot.
A nice saw, but let down on the final attention to detail.

Although the Aminster and SIP look almost identical, there are several differences - and the Axminster has a sliding table + outfeed table

Well, the build quality on the Axminster saw is substantially better than the SIP (I guess Axminster have some 'clout'), the fence support extrusion is smaller in width than the SIP which I like, but it is still very meaty.
The fence and the fine adjuster is the same on both saws.
All panels fit much better on the Axminster than the SIPs I saw. Attention to detail.

Even the inside of the saw is very well finished with everything painted etc. On the paint front, I subjectively reckon the Axminster scheme looks more attractive than the SIP too.

The mitre gauge fits in the slot better than I have ever seen. No play at all. I suspect that this may have been pure luck though as it came wrapped separately. The 90 degree stops on blade and mitre were spot on when it arrived - the 45 degree tilt stop is a tiny bit out - maybe 1/4 degree, but noticeable when holding a square to two cuts to form 90 (89.5) degrees.

The motor runs smoothly and is fairly quiet, though louder than my Kity. Runs off a normal 13A plug which is very handy.

All movements on rise/tilt are very nice and smooth + easy to operate.

The bevel on the extension table is milled exactly the same as the main table - I was very pleased to see this as it gives me a bit of confidence in the attention to detail elsewhere.

The free blade they are giving with it at the moment cuts quite nicely along and across the grain- but then it is new.

My only gripe is in the positioning of the magnifier on the fence, it is too far towards the table and so I have ot lean over to make out the numbers on the printed scale.

I have pushed some 2" beech through it about 5 times faster than with the kity without the blade even slowing, never mind stalling and the max. depth of cut is 80mm, so i am chuffed to bits.

The sliding table is HUGE, and HEAVY but I have a singe garage and you can see form the photos that it will never get used as i won't have the guide rail on.
Never mind, the Osbourne Eb3 should be here any day and only cost $119 + $40 P&P.s

If you are thinking of a new Xcaliber or SIP, then I would say the Axminster is worth a look too.

One last thing, Axminster were absolutely outstanding. The driver phoned me when he left the depot to tell me when he would arrive and then updated me when he was 30 miles away. He also helped me carry it into the workshop. A fantastic bloke.

IMAGE_00149.jpg

Picture001-small.jpg

Picture005-small.jpg

Picture006-small.jpg

Picture010-small.jpg

**I don't care about the dado as in the time it takes to take out the standard blade and then fit a dado head cuter and shims and new insert, I have installed a straight cutting bit, cut the dado with my router using a fence or the router table and had a cup of tea :) - I once owned and used a dado head regulatory and this was the main reason I sold it.

nice saw Tony i`m really tempted but i`m not alover of the fence on those, a little long on my opinion although you could add a bit of mdf to it that ended at the arbour i guess
let us know how it performs as i`m lookig for a saw in that price range with those specs :)

Looks great Tony.

Thanks for the write up on the different models and your thought process in choosing the Axi, very useful.

Cheers, Paul.

It's not the TEXT it's the PICTURE :wink:

Coo, very smart, Tony. I'm curious that you gave the sliding table on it as one of the advantages, but as I read it you're not going to use it?

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Guards removed for clarity I take it [-X

Nice looking saw Tony.

A few questions if you don't mind.

The main sliding carriage. Is this easily removed or put back on?

The rear extension, is this hinged?

The insert looks aluminium, is this correct. I think on the SIP this is plastic.

When you fit the Osbourne, do you not worry about the lack of surface are between the edge of the table and the blade?

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics.

Nice purchase Tony, should be a lot more versatile than the old Kity. I guess the next big thing has got to be a bigger workshop :wink:

Dennis

Looks like the bees knees Tony and I guess a big saw deserves a BIG picture too.

After the thread last week I'm curious to know what you intend to do with the fence. Will it slide along the front clamp like the kity to get a half fence?

Andy

Well done Tony, looks the dogs. I've been wondering if this saw is the same more or less as the SIP but with a lot more thrown in for the price. Did you get 2 extension wings and if so can you fit 1 either side of the main table (if you dont plan to use the sliding table?) How easy/fast is it to remove the guard? Can you cut grooves without removing the riving knife?
Cheers
Jealous John McM

Alf":2n46li3n said:
It's not the TEXT it's the PICTURE :wink:

Coo, very smart, Tony. I'm curious that you gave the sliding table on it as one of the advantages, but as I read it you're not going to use it?

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Guards removed for clarity I take it [-X

Indeed, those guards really do get in the way of the camera :wink:

I decided the Axminster was the best saw for me and it came with the sliding table, so I thought why not/
Who knows what the future may bring? I see the sliding table as useful for sheet material but I don't use that very much at the moment.

Might re-arrange the workshop sometime and then use the table - option is always there

John McM":1xsbvbx7 said:
Well done Tony, looks the dogs. I've been wondering if this saw is the same more or less as the SIP but with a lot more thrown in for the price. Did you get 2 extension wings and if so can you fit 1 either side of the main table (if you dont plan to use the sliding table?) How easy/fast is it to remove the guard? Can you cut grooves without removing the riving knife?
Cheers
Jealous John McM

Hi JJ :wink:

Yep, two extensions that can go on either side - 4 bolts to hold them on. There is also an adjustable leg to support the tables if you put two on one side.

Which guard do you mean?
The blade guard has a lovely design with a hook and a thumbscrew to hold it in place. 10 seconds maximum to fit or remove and no tools required.

Tony":3jyvvnko said:
I see the sliding table as useful for sheet material but I don't use that very much at the moment.

I like loading waney edge stock on mine, (sliding table), I find it works very well in this configuration.

Adam

LyNx":3hi10k0z said:
Nice looking saw Tony.

A few questions if you don't mind.

The main sliding carriage. Is this easily removed or put back on?

The rear extension, is this hinged?

The insert looks aluminium, is this correct. I think on the SIP this is plastic.

When you fit the Osbourne, do you not worry about the lack of surface are between the edge of the table and the blade?

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics.

Hi Lynx

The sliding carriage is held on by circular end stops (thick washers) and an 'O' ring to buffer impacts. Removes with a single screw in the centre
Take screw out and roll table off - very easy (damned heavy table though !!)

Rear extension is held on with two steel triangulated frames with adjuster screws for leveling etc.. No hinges. Beefy.

Should have mentioned that all important bits have adjuster screws to align properly - even the riving knife has 4!!

Insert is aluminium. Actually, this is the other thing I would have preffered to be slightly different. The ali is about 3mm thick around the edges where it screws to the table and to it would be a bit of a pain to make a wooden zero insert. I am going to make an aluminium surround with removable wooden centre section for zero clearance.

The point about the osbourne is a good one. I am thinking about taking the extra side piece into work and get it machined into 1/3 and 2/3 width pieces and bolt either on as required to extend out a little (100mm or 200mm extension)

Latest posts

Back