Does Size Really Matter ? DeWalt DWE 7485 210 mm or DWE 7492 250mm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My opinion would be based on the fact that decent blades are quite difficult to get in the 216mm/8" size as it's always been a size for site workers and hobbyists, whereas they are plentiful in the 250mm/10" size as these are used in the woodworking industry. Decent saw blades make all the difference to the end product so having a large range to choose from so that you can find the ideal blade with the correct geometry for whatever you're undertaking is very beneficial. For example, Scott and Sargent have 5 blades to choose from in the 216mm size, if you write off the very expensive PCD blade that's £300 you're left with 4 blades of reasonable quality with various tooth counts, whilst in the 250mm size group there are 38 different blades, even if you write off the most obscure and unapplicable ones you're left with 32 blades, and this is common across all vendors.
Now that is a very good point that I had not thought about at all, I realise that we can't use a Dado blade on these saws due to arbor length and Euro rules but I didn't think of all the other blades that exist as well, thanks for that, Its a very valid point indeed. 🍻🍻

Now that is a very good point that I had not thought about at all, I realise that we can't use a Dado blade on these saws due to arbor length and Euro rules but I didn't think of all the other blades that exist as well, thanks for that, Its a very valid point indeed. 🍻🍻

There's no illegality in using a dado set in a bench saw as commonly believed, the main factors are whether the machine is braked and capable of stopping within 10 seconds with the inertia load of the tooling, adequately guarded, and the tooling conforms to PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations) 1998. Of course, PUWER only applies to commercial environments but is still worth adhering to for the inherent safety aspect, though a private individual who was comfortable running a saw without braking, guarding, or conforming tooling could do that in their own time if they so wished, but they cannot force those conditions upon an employee as that would be breaking the law and that's where the "illegal" aspect comes from that often gets confused for being outright banned.

You can buy conforming dado sets in the U.K. and Europe quite easily, but of course, you first need a saw capable of running a dado set.

Braking is only really a thing if its in a workplace or educational establishment. If its just in your own workshop then it isnt going to matter if its braked or not(As long as the blades are guarded and you arent prone to doing anything daft -like using a bit of scrap to slow it down on)

Last edited:
Braking is only really a thing if its in a workplace or educational establishment. If its just in your own workshop then it isnt going to matter if its braked or not(As long as the blades are guarded and you arent prone to doing anything daft -like using a bit of scrape to slow it down on)

I've already said that in my post, you're adding nothing to the discussion.

For what it's worth, what stood out for me stepping up from a very basic table saw to a DeWalt jobsite saw was the quality of the fence. Also how easy blade angle and height was to adjust, and how much better the dust extraction was. I've not once been concerned about the blade diameter. There's better I'm sure, but for the price I think the DeWalt DWE 7485 is a cracker. I'll get rid of mine at some point but not because I want better but rather that I find myself reaching for a handsaw when in the past I thought a table saw was the right way to go.
thanks for the opinion, that's exactly what I wanted to hear because its a lot of money to drop on a saw that doesn't have a cast iron bed bearing in mind its not a large machine Thanks

Well Axminster ship to the US and it’s quick and relatively inexpensive, I was very pleasantly surprised.
Don’t know about Spanish electricity though!
Also really good website you can set to different denominations for payment, I shipped to the US and paid in £’s.
thanks, Spanish electricity is as good as yours just its 230/240 volts AC.
The issue with Axminster is that shipping from the UK to a EU country is particularly expensive and certainly in Spain it seems that the Hacienda has it in for anything shipped out of the UK to here, they charge us inordinate amounts of tax and brokerage at the moment, its almost like they are doing it on purpose perhaps sulking even because of the UK's decision to leave the EU.

They seem to tax us even if the item's value is only 5 euros... you'll end up with a bill of €15 yet I can order almost anything from China and not pay a penny in import charges.

You cant even drive it here as you'll be stopped in France and they will make you pay there now, best way is by air travel as they dont bother checking 99% of the time especially if you catch the last plane in at night.

Indeed. But the water in Majorca don't taste quite wot it oughta.
Yes !! a good one from the past.....There is actually some truth in that in so much as the water on the islands and a lot of the spanish coast line comes from very deep Artesian wells that were discovers a long time ago, during the summer months the water in those cisterns drops considerably and it allows seawater to enter and mix which makes is brackish and fairly unpleasant, enough that you certainly would not use if for drinking.

You are probably aware that Spain was a authoritarian dictatorship for a good part of the 20th century and was run by General Franco, during his tenure one of the only good things he did was to ensure that Spain had sufficient reservoirs built mainly in the mountains to collect snowmelt and provide enough water for the whole of Spain.

Sadly and no one could have foreseen this Global Warming has meant for the last 10 to 15 years that the snow in the Pyrenees and in Sierra Nevada down in the south of Spain has not been as regular or as heavy enough as normal, consequently Spain is now officially in a drought situation for the second year running, the reservoirs are now at their lowest point ever.

It is quite worrying.

Another suggestion for OP is to look for a used DeWalt DWE745, which is an older model and has a 10" blade and all the benefits of the fence etc.
The only thing it doesn't have is a long enough arbor for a dado set, if that bothers you.
I picked one up recently for £200 in good order, and they regularly go for sub-£300.
Hiya. thanks for this message, are there any real differences between the 745 you mentioned and the 7492 apart from the slightly different power level? I see the fence looks the same which is important to me , I'm not worried about a dado disk though.

I have to admit I didn't realise this saw was a 10 inch , new here in Spain it is €632 where as the 7492 10 inch is €857 and the 7485 at 8 inches is €571, getting hold of a used DeWalt saw here is almost impossible as they are simply listed at more or less the normal asking price even for 2 year old machine or they are just not available as there is virtually no wood in a spanish house apart from the doors and most of those come pre made.

To me this means the 10inch 745 is looking promising as a new purchase, if it's pretty much the same spec as the 7485....Do you know of any major differences at all please?

Many thanks

Neil

Back