LN Vs LV low angle jack plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alf":256tsqdj said:
Benchwayze":256tsqdj said:
I found the Lie Nielsen No 4 bedrock to be very comfortable to hold, and the tote suited me fine. It was just a tad heavy for me. Does anyone know if the bronze version (which is what I had) is heavier than the cast version?
Yes, it is - from the horse's mouth.

Thanks Alf... You saved me the trouble... I had considered checking with Axminster AIH, as I believe they include that spec too! So, I am obliged. John :D

So, it looks like the LV for me.

Dieter Schmid is the cheapest so far for me - exchange rate and shipping included. No import either to worry about. I've compared Dieter with Axminster, Classic Hand Tools, Rutlands and Dick Gmbh. Tilgear don't stock the LV planes.

Direct from Lee Valley was the cheapest but there,s the considerable risk of import duty.

Shipping was very reasonable from Dieter Schmid.

Must convince myself I urgently need one now.

Eoin

eoinsgaff":1ag5o8tq said:
So, it looks like the LV for me.

Dieter Schmid is the cheapest so far for me - exchange rate and shipping included. No import either to worry about. I've compared Dieter with Axminster, Classic Hand Tools, Rutlands and Dick Gmbh. Tilgear don't stock the LV planes.

Direct from Lee Valley was the cheapest but there,s the considerable risk of import duty.

Shipping was very reasonable from Dieter Schmid.

Must convince myself I urgently need one now.

Eoin
Have you tried here? A while ago they were the cheapest source by far for Veritas stuff in the UK - Rob

I am a bit late to this discussion but agree with most of what has been posted re the Veritas. I have tried both and find that where it counts, the Veritas is ahead. One thing that irks me about the LN is the difficulty I have with my large hands/fingers of using the little depth adjuster. Now it may also be a lack of dexterity but I doubt it. It is difficult for me to grip and rotate, has no lateral adjustment, and is its least likeable feature. Its handle on the other hand is pure silk.
Cheers
MC

On my LN Low-Angle Jack, I have to loosen the lever cap nut to adjust the blade protrusion. Also it is fiddly to reach, and my fingers are not exactly sausage shaped! But the plane cuts like a dream and as said, the handle is ultra-comfortable.

Regards
John :)

Thanks Martin... I'd probably get caught by customs and excise though; like when I bought my LN No. 4 Bedrock.

I had an LV No 6, but I couldn't get on with the tote. I could have changed it, I know, but I sold it on. But yes it was a decent cutting plane!.

John :)

Back