Just coping! (now fitted)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Along with another commission I started work on some internal French doors in softwood this week. Having made a good start I soon found it was one of those jobs! :roll: You know the ones where you wish you had never started. :( Anyway putting on a brave face I got stuck in making the doors. The frame was easy and I had this ready in a couple of hours but the doors gave me a bit of head scratching. After making the stiles and rails it was time to make the glazing bars as it would be a ten panel glass door. I did think of just mitring each one into place but decided against this as the door may move over time and open the joints. So it was a case of having to cope each one and tennon them into place.....Gulp! After making the glazing bars on the router table I made a jig up out of some scrap mdf.

I made a couple of them as I expected them to wear with the amount I had to cut. It took me most of this afternoon to cut them all but finally got them done. it wasn't too bad once I got into the swing of it.

With a little bit of fettling the joints were not too bad considering the amount of hand work.

By the end of the day I had one of the doors in a dry fit.

There will be two side lights each side of the doors but these only have the horizontal glazing bars...luckily. :lol: I think I shall invest in some tooling for these in the future. :oops:

Nice job. I used to make a lot of sash widows and always got a big kick out if doing all the glazing bars by hand. (Never had the right tooling either) once you get in a rhythm it can be quite enjoyable. Good work.

I was wondering whether you tenoned the glazing bars together / into the styles?

Yes Deema, the glazing bars are held in with Dominos. I got the doors glued up today and made a start on the side lights. I only got the main frames done on the sidelights as I was also working on another job too.

This other job is a small computer desk in oak veneered MDF.

I should get the sidelights finished tomorrow. :D

Well I got the sidelights done today and now have a lot of sanding to do and make some trims. Then it will be hinges and catches ready for fitting it.

Thanks for the nice comment John. I am trying to get these two jobs finished quickly as I have a stud wall and a summer house to build in the next two weeks. :D

mailee":say38cw0 said:
Thanks for the nice comment John. I am trying to get these two jobs finished quickly as I have a stud wall and a summer house to build in the next two weeks. :D

Mailee , your avatar looks interesting. When you have time perhaps you could give us a larger photograph.

My avatar is an old project of mine. It is a cutlery canteen made for a wedding gift for a customer. Here are a few shots of it.

This was made out of some old oak floor boards and finished with a clear acrylic lacquer. The interior was sculpted in MDF and then it was all covered in flock.

Thanks Mailee, I would like to make one of those but these days I find that I would need a full instruction plan and progress instruction. The days have gone when I could just pick up wood and make one. If you did have them I might have a go, grandson getting married next week.

I got these doors fitted today. Job went well and they almost slid into place. :D Just had to trim a little off the door bottoms due to a bow in the floor. :D happy to say another satisfied customer. :D

Also a promise of more work from them too. :D

mailee":ipunrjav said:
My avatar is an old project of mine. It is a cutlery canteen made for a wedding gift for a customer. Here are a few shots of it.

This was made out of some old oak floor boards and finished with a clear acrylic lacquer. The interior was sculpted in MDF and then it was all covered in flock.

i can shamefully say that I had not noticed your avatar till now, but I do like the canteen. Very nice work. =D>

Latest posts

Back