Pantry WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I could try to do a bit of a WIP on my current job, it's not fine woodworking but hopefully someone might find it interesting. Any comments or opinions, good or bad more than welcome.

Customer has quite a large downstairs cloakroom which is accessed directly from the kitchen, they wanted to use the space better plus they didn't like seeing the toilet from the kitchen if the door was left open! The idea they had was to create a kind of pantry between the kitchen and toilet, it will just be a large cupboard you walk through with lots of shelves in really.

They wanted the walls lining to look like bead and butt boarding and Oak shelves on wooden brackets.

One thing that is a bit different is the toilet door, they had a photo from a house magazine (those things should be banned) showing the door as part of the panelling, not exactly a secret door as it had a handle on but fitting seamlessly in the panelling with a skirting board running across the bottom.

The cloakroom

Pantry 6.jpg

And the wasted space

Pantry 7.jpg

First job was to build a wall

Pantry 8.jpg

And fit a few battens to straighten everything up, got to love plastic packers

pantry 9.jpg

Then back to the workshop to make up the panelling. Am making it random width boards so it's easier to work in the door etc plus I think it looks better, this took longer than I thought it would.

Pantry 10.jpg

Got some of the boarding fitted

Pantry 12.jpg

There will be a wooden cornice around the top stopping about 30 mill short of the ceiling and vents in the skirting around the bottom, they are all internal walls and no sign of damp but I think it's always best if you can vent the cavity behind the boarding.

Then moved on to the door. As the door needs to be the same thickness as the wall I designed it to use a fire door clad on both sides with the MDF. I edged the door as I didn't want the lipping showing (might make more sense later).

Pantry 11.jpg

and hung it temporarily so I can mark everything up to make sure the boards all run in line.

Pantry 13.jpg

That's where I am at the moment but plans keep changing as they always do, for example the white door is now going to be swapped round so it opens into the kitchen making the pantry area more accessible.

Nice job, not much room to be swinging sheets and doors about, is this the beaded type paneling or another option, cant tell from the picture.

Presume you nail the panels to the battens?

Nice job, not much room to be swinging sheets and doors about, is this the beaded type paneling or another option, cant tell from the picture.

Presume you nail the panels to the battens?

The panelling will look like this when finished.

Pantry 4.jpg

You are right there isn't much space, it definitely makes it more awkward to work. I machined the sheets full width but then cut them down the grooves to a more manageable size, mostly 16" and 32" as this was the batten spacing. The sheets just have an 8mm groove in at the moment or an 8mm gap between where I joined them, I will glue in a small parting bead type mould later to give the bead and butt effect.

The boards were nailed to the battens, also had a bit of fix-all behind for good measure. Plan is to add a few screws later, once the shelf positions are finalised I will put a few screws behind them so they will be hidden.

The paneling looks very effective, and duly noted, I had considered buying in to Oliver Bradshaw's tooling option, I had in my my mind to buy the HK85 saw anyway (I have the 75 but it annoys me as a lot of my stock is 80mm) but as my demand isn't that large i'll follow your lead, out of interest what type of bit are you using in 1400, and where are you sourcing the bead, Thanks.

@HOJ don't know if you saw this thread a couple of weeks ago where I was asking for alternative methods of making the panelling, Wealden do a cutter for trim routers which looks interesting but I decided to stick with what I already had.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/making-bead-and-butt-mdf.144612/
I'm basically just using a V groove cutter, something like this V Groove and an 8mm straight cutter. I'm swapping the cutters over on every groove which is what is taking the time even though the OF1400 allows for quick bit changes. It would be quicker to do all the V's then all the grooves but I didn't want to risk not getting the rail back in exactly the right place. I found setting both the groove and the V cutter to cut 7mm deep is just right.

I'm making the bead myself on the spindle moulder.

I can see why its time consuming changing bits over, last paneling I did i just used a V groove as the finish. You really could do with 2 routers, would happily lent you mine if you were nearer, when I give it a go will try and set up my OF2200 as well.

I'm making the bead myself on the spindle moulder.
That's interesting, I've tried that in the past, with limited success found that I couldn't get them 100% in the round, any useful pointers on your method.

Nice work @Doug71 and interesting to see what others are doing.
@HOJ don't know if you saw this thread a couple of weeks ago where I was asking for alternative methods of making the panelling, Wealden do a cutter for trim routers which looks interesting but I decided to stick with what I already had.
It is 8mm shank though so not all routers have the required collet, I have been looking at one for a Dewalt625 / Trend T10.

Is it easier to make fake paneling or to cut the MDF into strips and then run it through your spindle moulder ?

The paneling I did for the bathroom was in sapelle and I used this cutter from Wealdons

https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Butt_Bead_971.html

Been back on the pantry again. They needed this wall finishing so they could get the radiator fitted. When I was working out the board spacings I missed the isolator valves or I would have made them fall in a full board 🙄

pantry 14.jpg

But the random width boarding worked out nicely for the light switch

pantry 15.jpg

Mitres on the coving/cornice looking good

pantry 16.jpg

The mitres look simple enough but the corners certainly aren't 90 degrees and the cornice follows the ceiling which is over an 1" out of level in 4' so it's not as straightforward as just mitring some cornice around a kitchen wall cabinet.

pantry 17.jpg

pantry 18.jpg

Hopefully cladding the door tomorrow.

Not managed to get back on the job because of kids on half term etc but had a bit of time in workshop today.

Had some timber delivered this morning, some of which was to make into skirting for the pantry job.

Tulipwood.jpg

It wanted to match the original so I had to grind a cutter for the spindle moulder.

Tulipwood skirting.jpg

I took this photo last time I was there but forgot to post it. It's a window I made for the previous owners of the property, must have been at least 20 years ago. As you can see the opening is a long way out of square so I made an out of square window to fit 🙃

Out of square window.jpg

I thought the old place might have fallen down by now but nothing seems to have moved!

Last edited:
The customer wanted the door to be "part of the wall" as opposed to just an opening in a wall if you know what I mean, think we achieved that.

pantry 20.jpg

pantry 19.jpg

The door is actually 90mm thick and I reckon weighs nearly 60kg, customer thinks it's great which is the main thing.

Can't put the skirting on yet as we are waiting on some vents/grilles which need fitting in the skirting for venting the cavity.

Need to get the shelves sorted next week as apparently the decorator is coming the week after........Some people just don't seem to understand that bespoke joinery is an art form therefore joiners can't work with constraints like deadlines.........🤣

I need to see a long shot of this workshop of yours. Looks well set up :D

I am lucky to have a nice workshop, it's about 9m x 9m which I reckon is about right for a one person business. There won't be any photos at the moment though as it's an absolute tip, I'm halfway through reorganising things and it's driving me mad because stuff is everywhere, I like organisation, I can't work in chaos.

I can relate to Doug 71.
I have an attached garage space I am reorganising. I have about 4 crates full of gear on the floor. I take these out on the driveway when I need to carry out any work and then they just go back in! I have done a section of french cleats that now hold my planes, chisels, hammers and saws. A step forward and I am altering underneath my bench, this will hold my toolbox and I intend to make a 3 drawer cupboard to fit alongside for smaller tools and equipment. Cannot purchase any sheet material as I cannot fit them in until a little bit more organised. One day!

A bit more progress

Skirting and ironmongery on the door

pantry 22.jpg

The customer wanted wooden brackets for the shelves so I ended up making some.

MDF mock up to see if they like it

pantry 23.jpg

I was going to use a bearing guided bit in the router and template for the curves but ended up just cutting to the line with the bandsaw and giving them a quick sanding with a shaped block, worked fine.

pantry 24.jpg

All good to go apart from left two brackets to be trimmed on site as the radiator has been fitted higher than planned so they might need some adjustment

pantry 25.jpg

Shelves up although they have come down again to make painting and oiling easier. Decided to just go with London brackets above the rad as they won't be seen.

pantry 26.jpg

pantry 29.jpg

Used the new Lamello S-20 biscuits in the corners, they seem to work well.

pantry 27.jpg

On a separate note I'm doing some more wall panelling next week, the room is 9'6" high so I got some 10'x4' sheets. Can't remember if I planned it or just lucky but they fit on my sheet rack with 5mm to spare 🙂

pantry 28.jpg

Am I missing something here ? I remeber my parents having a 'pantry' complete with a 'Thrawl' which was the very small room where foodsuff was stored to keep it cool -- well before we had a fridge never mind a freezer. There's no way that there should ever be a radiator in there !!

That defeats the whole rasion d'etre of a 'Pantry'

Last edited:
Our pantry has no radiator, with a permanently open window covered in mesh and is several degrees cooler than the rest of the house

Am I missing something here ? I remeber my parents having a 'pantry' complete with a 'Thrawl' which was the very small room where foodsuff was stored to keep it cool -- well before we had a fridge never mind a freezer. There's no way that there should ever be a radiator in there !!

That defeats the whole rasion d'etre of a 'Pantry'

I use the term pantry very loosely (there is a traditional pantry at the other end of the kitchen), this is really just a shelved out storage space off the kitchen, I think it will end up being the home to things like like air fryers and blenders.

Back