New Large Slab Levelling/Milling Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought,
we flatten slabs routinely with a 3000x2000 cnc router with a 63mm tipped cutter which works really well. I'm noyt touting for business but I suggest that you may have a local equivalent who can do the work normally around 60 a slab both sides, which is ready for sanding with 120 grit.
I like what you are proposing though
chris

It looks like an epic amount of work (and mess to clear up) but you will have the satisfaction of achieving the outcome you seek.I won't mention a No5 either as it would create another large pile of shavings and some bulging biceps too.I will mention that a man with a large CNC router could skim such a slab in six or seven minutes.

It looks like an epic amount of work (and mess to clear up) but you will have the satisfaction of achieving the outcome you seek.I won't mention a No5 either as it would create another large pile of shavings and some bulging biceps too.I will mention that a man with a large CNC router could skim such a slab in six or seven minutes.
No 5 1/2 or 6 would be better still?!

Just a thought,
we flatten slabs routinely with a 3000x2000 cnc router with a 63mm tipped cutter which works really well. I'm noyt touting for business but I suggest that you may have a local equivalent who can do the work normally around 60 a slab both sides, which is ready for sanding with 120 grit.
I like what you are proposing though
chris
It’s the satisfaction etc of producing the finished item with my own efforts that’s driving this ……I’ve easily milled a 34” dia beech cookie cut before but this is taking it to a whole new level. I use a 37mm dia cutter with 3x replaceable cutters in my router at its slowest rpm, then it’s out with a monster belt sander before moving on to orbital and had sanding etc.

marius hornberger on youtube has a great setup for slab flattening, his original video on it uses independent rails and bearers directly on the floor, he uses a string method to get them parralell and in plane with the rails, simple and a lot less material to store between uses

heres another video where he improves on the design by adding levelling feet to the cross beams, i love how compact this is when broken down for storage

Struggling with the weather to make much progress on the build but inbetween showers and my day job taking me to France last week etc I’ve been able to start the build on the router sled…hope to get it finished this weekend.

The fine weather yesterday & today has allowed me to move the build on to a close to finished point.

i started with clamping the cls to each side of the osb bed and drilling the 8 of 10mm holes per side for the coach bolts (countersunk in) to attach them. One drilled out and coach bolts fitted the 20mm linear rails were fixed to each cls with 5 x 50 mm screws IMG_1284.jpeg

as suggested on this thread I then checked the levels with cross strings

IMG_1278.jpeg
It was within 1mm 😁😁😁

IMG_1277.jpeg
the rails are offset to allow a ‘landing stage ‘ fir the router sled/rails to assist fitting them onto each side rail.

The router is fitted onto a A4 piece of 10mm acrylic suspended by coach bolts hanging from 10mm alu plates attached to each linear bearing

IMG_1281.jpeg

IMG_1282.jpeg

tried a smal 400mm sq slab of beech on the setup to check it’s alignment etc

IMG_1279.jpeg
IMG_1280.jpeg

Very pleased with the machined finish and the thickness variation was within 0.5mm too

The acid test of course is one of my 2000x700mm slabs 😱

Attachments

• IMG_1283.jpeg
    IMG_1283.jpeg
    516.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1275.jpeg
    IMG_1275.jpeg
    467.1 KB · Views: 0
The main issue to address now is the vibration from the router and large cutter head combo is very efficient at loosening the screws on the linear bearings etc ….bottle of thread lock needed I feel.

Thread lock was applied to all of the screws last weekend …..then rain stopped play

Milled off my the larger of my two pieces of sequoia yesterday ….works really well. Next step is to fit a curtain around 3 sides of the acrylic with a vac point.

Managed to snaffle an off cut of clear strip curtain used in food factories….think it will work really well.

Last edited:
Back