Integrated appliances and hanging doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertMP

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there is some easy way of doing this that I don't know about :)

I've just installed a new fridge freezer and have been looking at hanging the cupboard doors to go on the front (which i have yet to make).

Initially I fitted some mounting plates for Blum hinges. On trying to fit the hinge it was possible but the latch for removal was inaccessible and one of the adjusting screws hidden by the fridge door. I then held some old hinges that were on the previous appliance in place and they were better but one adjusting screw was still partially obstructed for getting a screwdriver on it.

The fridge and freezer doors look easy enough to remove (as you would for reverse hanging) so i guess the solution is to take the doors off, hang the cabinet doors with non snap on hinges, adjust to fit.... and then put the fridge f. doors back on.

Unless there is another way....

fhinge1.jpg

hmm better go clean that :)

fhinge2.jpg

Hi Robert

My way of doing it is to hang the doors first (making any necessary adjustments), then fit the appliance. As you have pointed out, some hinge types won't allow sufficient clearance for the applicance (size dependent), and there is hardly ever any ability to adjust the doors once the applicance is in-situ.

HTH.

Cheers

Karl

Hi Robert,

The few times that I have had to do this in the past I've done the same as Karl. Well actually I have fitted the appliance, then had to pull it out to make the adjustment, and then put it back in again. :( I will watch this one to see if anyone has used a hinge that makes it possible to adjust afterwards as this would be useful.

Johnny B

Robert,

What make appliance is it ? and what make carcases if its Howdens they normally supply shallower hinges so that you can fit the doors and align them first then just slide in the appliance, fix it then just fit the door slide mechanism to connect the carcase doors to the appliance doors.

If you have a Howdens near you maybe you can pick some up.

There are quiet a few different methods used by various makes some of the Neff/Bosch fridge freezers you don't use hinges at all, the doors fix directly to the appliance and not the carcase.

Robert,

That looks like a freestanding appliance, or is it integrated ?

Integrated model are slightly narrower to fit inside a 600 carcase when the doors are hung on blum style hinges.
What is the width of the appliance and the internal size of the carcase ?

Paul

It is an integrated model. Bosch KIV38V00GB to be precise.

I can fit a Blum hinge as there is enough space on the width inside the 600 unit module. What I can't do is adjust the hinge or remove it once fitted. The latch for removal is too far away down the gap to get to it to operate it, and one of the adjusting screws is obscured by the appliance door.

The hinges that came off the old doors I could fit and adjust through the gap seen when the door is open on the old fridge. New one has a thinner door and hence smaller gap so I can't even do that this time.

Taking the doors off the FF so i can get to the cupboard door hinges is no big deal - just wanted to check I wasn't missing some easier way :)

I'd still struggle to get to the latch for removing a blum hinge (from Ikea but embossed as Blum) even with the doors off so I'll reuse some from old doors.

Thanks for the comments.

Thats why we said setup the doors before you put the fridge in but as you have already put the fridge in then take it out or as you say take the doors off, up to you .

Don't think I could do that in this case as the doors only open to 90 deg as there is a wall next to it. plus I've only just started making the new doors :)

If the adjusting screw is obscured when the fridge door is open, is it the fridge door that is obscuring it? If it is, just slide the appliance forward, adjust through the gap, reposition the appliance & try the door.
It`s a ball ache keep moving the appliance, but that`s life.

Back