Integrated fridge with inset doors?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a kitchen build coming up, it's a traditional style with face frames/inset doors and needs to incorporate an integrated fridge freezer, I'm not sure on the best way to make this work?

For the fridge freezer the customer isn't keen on the method that people use where a face frame is fixed to the cabinet door and it all opens together, ideally they want it to be just like a normal cabinet door hung on butt hinges. If this can't be done ( which I suspect it can't) what is the best way to make an inset door and a fridge door work together, preferably a method that lets me add some dummy butt hinges so it at least looks the part?

Any advice appreciated on best method like sliding or fixed door or model of fridge that is good for this etc.

I have been trying to convince them to go for a freestanding fridge but haven't managed yet :(

I've got a kitchen build coming up, it's a traditional style with face frames/inset doors and needs to incorporate an integrated fridge freezer, I'm not sure on the best way to make this work?

For the fridge freezer the customer isn't keen on the method that people use where a face frame is fixed to the cabinet door and it all opens together, ideally they want it to be just like a normal cabinet door hung on butt hinges. If this can't be done ( which I suspect it can't) what is the best way to make an inset door and a fridge door work together, preferably a method that lets me add some dummy butt hinges so it at least looks the part?

Any advice appreciated on best method like sliding or fixed door or model of fridge that is good for this etc.

I have been trying to convince them to go for a freestanding fridge but haven't managed yet :(

I've done it with butts and sliders (which I prefer) or fixed hinges with dummy butts.

Both ways I build a 636mm cab with couple of pieces of carcass material inside packing the fridge either side. ( Effectively making it an overlay door within a frame) If that makes sense

Hopefully this picture shows what I mean

This was on fixed hinges with dummy butts but I prefer using the sliders as you tend to need less clearance on the hinge side than you do with fixed hinges (this one needed about 3mm, I'd prefer 2mm)

Attachments

• PXL_20240315_140417751.jpg
    PXL_20240315_140417751.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
In my old kitchen, to future proof the design I decided not to use integrated appliances. Instead I made the cabinets a little deeper and hinged doors to the front in the usual way. It meant having to open a cabinet door first, but it worked okay for the dishwasher and fridge.

@Joshjosh that is great, good to know it can work, thank you.

The door gap was one of my concerns but sounds like if I use the sliders it won't be an issue 👍

@niall Y dishwashers are always a pain to integrate because of plinths etc, hiding it behind a door would be much easier, I might suggest that one 🤔

I've successfully used the door /face frame on fridges and it looks good.
Integrated dishwashers are relatively straightforward as long as you angle the face frame off at the bottom edge. I got the cab/front sizes from looking at the devol website. Basically the cabinet sides can be on the outside of the face frame or the inside.

Back