Help and Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobLyons

Reaction score
Hi all,
My dad, who was a keen woodworker for many years, died late last year. My mum has been left with a garage full of woodworking equipment and tools and is unsure how to proceed in selling it all. I am looking for advice on how to go about this. My mum lives in Hertfordshire and I would appreciate any recommendations or ideas.
Larger equipment includes a router table and router, a ban saw, a drill press to name a few. There are also all manner of smaller tools. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

There's a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum (sadly, I'm not one of them). I guess it would help if you could list the items - including manufacturer and model number - and maybe upload photos to show condition. That would help people give you advice on what type of values could be achieved.

You may not have enough post to be able to sell in the for sale section, this is to ensure people do not just join with the sole aim of selling and then leaving, we like people to stay and become part of the community but I am not saying this is your intentions. The first thing you need to do is take photo's and take a look through the for sale section searching for similar items to get some idea of price.

Hi and welcome, sorry for your Loss . It’s no easy task to sell your dads tools and equipment but pretty sure he’d not want them to go to waste. My advice is as @Spectric says and stick around and make a few posts . The members here will pay a fair price depending on age/ condition etc but the likes of Facebook marketplace will probably want to pay as little as possible. So maybe sell the bigger machines and tools and donate what’s left to a men’s shed or similar charity. Alternatively stick around a bit longer and you might jyst catch the woodworking bug and use them yourself. Good luck 🤞

Thanks for all the advice. I will check out the for sale section to get an idea of price and the men’s shed charity sounds like a good idea for the smaller items (I’d not heard of that particular charity). I’m sure dad will have wanted them to go to a good home.

Thanks for all the advice. I will check out the for sale section to get an idea of price and the men’s shed charity sounds like a good idea for the smaller items (I’d not heard of that particular charity). I’m sure dad will have wanted them to go to a good home.
I’d agree with that - most important thing is they are not wasted and continue to be used ..👍👍

You could contact your local woodturning club. Some members are likely to have workshops similar to your father, be able to provide some guidance as to the best way to proceed, and may even have members who would be happy to buy some of the kit.

Although there are no guarantees, my experience is that most who frequent these sort of clubs tend to be folk of at least reasonable integrity.

You could contact your local woodturning club. Some members are likely to have workshops similar to your father, be able to provide some guidance as to the best way to proceed, and may even have members who would be happy to buy some of the kit.

Although there are no guarantees, my experience is that most who frequent these sort of clubs tend to be folk of at least reasonable integrity.
Thank you for the advice. I’ll look into it. 👍

I am involved in a Men's Shed start up and we need several items. Belt sander and pillar drill would certainly help. You can post the items here or email me the details.
<mod edit : email address removed for prudence. Please use the conversation / personal message facility >

Last edited by a moderator:
The main options are:
- House clearance firm : quick and low hassle but you'll get terrible value for the items, and no idea where many of the smaller items will end up, landfill?
- Donate them to a charity / mens shed : likely lowish hassle and fairly quick, you'll know they are being used, but no monetary return on the donation.
- Carboot sale : good way to get rid of smaller items but you'll not get much for what you sell.
- Sell them on ebay with no reserve and collection only : a bit more hassle as you have to list them all and manage all the sales, some hassle as eBay can be painful, but with no reserve they will sell the first time and be gone but you won't get top dollar.
- ebay with a reserve and delivery : better money for each tool but with the hassle of them not selling and you having to arrange couriers and pallet up the tools.
- Gumtree or similar classified : better money for each tool but more hassle as you have to deal with all the time-wasters and hagglers.
- UKWW : reasonable money and a nice bunch of folks, but a limited market and it may take time to sell stuff. You'll get a fair price and unlikely to be fleeced or be able to pull the wool over a buyer's eyes.

Sorry for your loss and apologies if the above feels a bit cold but factually it's my experience with selling old tools.

Fitz

Sorry for your loss. You and your family have my sincerest condolences.

As already put forward, make a list of the tools, especially the power tools, and then Google search for them.

Depending on what age they are you may get prices for them as New. If not, then do another search for them as 'used' - you may get plenty of listings on ebay etc., but also companies that sell 2nd hand machinery. Even Amazon is another option to consider along with gumtree etc.
Based on the prices you see, you'll then need to try and compare those tools based on the condition of your father's tools to what you see and read as described. Then decide whether to post here or somewhere else. Just be wary of the con artists that frequent Facebook and ebay or even calling at your door. Lots of research to do and photos to take.

Another possible route would be if there's a school/college etc., near you with students looking to set up a workshop... something along those lines.

Just makes me realise that I should be thinking about the tools I have and trying to let my family know about the possible value for selling after I pass if I don't do so myself. Good luck for finding new users.

If you list machinery of any high value on FBM, ignore the 20 scammers who will message you on the first 2 days and wait for the real buyers who aren't sitting glued to their screens and will get in touch later.
It's disappointing just how many thieves there are out there.
Ebay is better for valuable stuff in good condition but you have to make an effort.

The main options are:
- House clearance firm : quick and low hassle but you'll get terrible value for the items, and no idea where many of the smaller items will end up, landfill?
- Donate them to a charity / mens shed : likely lowish hassle and fairly quick, you'll know they are being used, but no monetary return on the donation.
- Carboot sale : good way to get rid of smaller items but you'll not get much for what you sell.
- Sell them on ebay with no reserve and collection only : a bit more hassle as you have to list them all and manage all the sales, some hassle as eBay can be painful, but with no reserve they will sell the first time and be gone but you won't get top dollar.
- ebay with a reserve and delivery : better money for each tool but with the hassle of them not selling and you having to arrange couriers and pallet up the tools.
- Gumtree or similar classified : better money for each tool but more hassle as you have to deal with all the time-wasters and hagglers.
- UKWW : reasonable money and a nice bunch of folks, but a limited market and it may take time to sell stuff. You'll get a fair price and unlikely to be fleeced or be able to pull the wool over a buyer's eyes.

Sorry for your loss and apologies if the above feels a bit cold but factually it's my experience with selling old tools.

Fitz
Thank you Fitz. That’s very helpful.

If you list machinery of any high value on FBM, ignore the 20 scammers who will message you on the first 2 days and wait for the real buyers who aren't sitting glued to their screens and will get in touch later.
It's disappointing just how many thieves there are out there.
Ebay is better for valuable stuff in good condition but you have to make an effort.
Yes. I think it will end up being down the eBay or fb route. Concerning as my mum is 80 now and I can’t be round there 24/7.

I am involved in a Men's Shed start up and we need several items. Belt sander and pillar drill would certainly help. You can post the items here or email me the details. <mod edit : email address removed for prudence. Please use the conversation / personal message facility >
Not the best idea to put your email address on an open forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, with a 80 year old mother, maybe sell as Job lot, all or nothing. Otherwise the best will be picked, leaving you with a skip hire cost to clear the rest and every toe rag sizing up what else to rob on return.
Sorry for my bleak outlook on mankind. What the tools cost and their worth is very different.

I have lately been thinking what will happen to my tools when I shuffle off. For my part I would like them to go to people who will make use of them and hopefully get joy from some of them like I have had. The kids are not really into woodwork but I hope they keep a piece or two just as keepsakes. Who knows but with a couple of tools the wood bug may bite. I have a few old planes that were my fathers and one that was the great grandad's. Not a shrine but I give them a thought any time I use them. Anyway sentiment aside I see your best bet to see them into good homes and get some return as well is the marketplace on this forum. Like others have said have a look at sales of other similar things to get an idea on price. I dont think you will ever realize the full market value on all items unless you are an online sales guru but you won't get done over either. Remember a memento or two for yourself. Good luck.
Regards
John

I have lately been thinking what will happen to my tools when I shuffle off. For my part I would like them to go to people who will make use of them and hopefully get joy from some of them like I have had. The kids are not really into woodwork but I hope they keep a piece or two just as keepsakes. Who knows but with a couple of tools the wood bug may bite. I have a few old planes that were my fathers and one that was the great grandad's. Not a shrine but I give them a thought any time I use them. Anyway sentiment aside I see your best bet to see them into good homes and get some return as well is the marketplace on this forum. Like others have said have a look at sales of other similar things to get an idea on price. I dont think you will ever realize the full market value on all items unless you are an online sales guru but you won't get done over either. Remember a memento or two for yourself. Good luck.
Regards
John
Thank you John.

Gumtree which belongs to ebay, I have sold loads of stuff including cars and found it very good. I would find the new price of your Machines then roughly half it for a second hand sale.

Back