Hand Operated Pillar Drills

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alan2001":85fg3yw5 said:
do those balls fly outwards with centrifugal force, acting like flywheels?

if not, what's the point of them?

Hi Alan

If you look at the leverage connections the weight of the balls pushes evenly down on the column sleeve thus autofeeding as you turn the crank

If they spun around....you would nut yourself! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

condeesteso":1qp522wb said:
Gounthar - interested definitely. (Me, Jim and Scouse I suspect, plus some). pm me if it's practical to acquire (will it fit my pocket?)

Not for me this one; if I came home with that, my long suffering and generally supportive wife would replace the counterweight balls with some of a different variety! :lol: Hope one of you guys gets it though... (no pressure Douglas and Jim!)

jimi43":1qp522wb said:
If they spun around....you would nut yourself! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh yeah... I didn't think of that either; at first glance (and second and third!) I thought they would spin too, to add momentum. I need a lie down. (homer) #-o

alan2001":19ki63sv said:
hmmm... the balls still look like they're hinged...

If you look at the conjunction of the "Y"...where it runs down the shaft screw...it is at its lowest point. If it were up further the balls would be further out and higher and their weight would be levering through the hinge/lever arrangement to push down on that sleeve as you turn the screw. This presents force to the shaft...autofeeding the drill.

Jim

jimi43":msphhyfz said:
alan2001":msphhyfz said:
hmmm... the balls still look like they're hinged...

If you look at the conjunction of the "Y"...where it runs down the shaft screw...it is at its lowest point. If it were up further the balls would be further out and higher and their weight would be levering through the hinge/lever arrangement to push down on that sleeve as you turn the screw. This presents force to the shaft...autofeeding the drill.

Jim

Nope, still don't see it! To my eyes the balls spin, centrifugal force pulls the balls outwards which then pulls the shaft down onto the workpiece! :?:

3784317835%5B1%5D.jpg

Ok...let's imagine it all in reverse.

See the Y junction....the little silver dot...that is a casting around the screw.

Screw the shaft around using the handle backwards...the dot moves up...yes?

Imagine the dot moving up thus taking the bottom half of that V shape up.

If that happens the sides of the V move up and out and push the top arms up lifting the balls until you reach the point where the dot cannot go any higher...

This is a full up position.

Place the workpiece underneath adjusting the table up to meet it and then wind down.

The balls move down under gravity pushing the dot downwards hence the drill into the wood under power...

That's how I see it anyway..but to be sure...I think someone should buy it! :mrgreen:

Douglas? DOUGLASSSSSS! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

OK, so I have to buy a drill just so you lot can find out how it works? I don't want this drill, never did, don't like drills.... everyone knows that already.
(I shall make enquiries, to be helpful.)

Having taken a closer look, the Y shape appears to be a rigid casting at it's base (where the 3 lines forming the Y intersect). The arms holding the balls have slots at their tops, and appear to be able to slide as the balls move outward. So as you turn, the balls move outward and apply pressure to drive the entire shaft with chuck at end, downward. The degree of movement of said balls depends on speed of rotation. hence greater turning speed = greater downward pressure on the bit. The pinion would need to be tracked on the shaft in some way, and I think I see something above the chuck, just below body casting.
Let's get it and find out, shall we!

jimi43":8908es3y said:
If they spun around....you would nut yourself!
Where I did my apprenceship, the coppersmith shop had a couple of flypresses. These had two large balls at the top, but fixed. And 'yes' if you didn't watch out you would nut youself. Worse was the long handle you used to spin the balls. I think I got a glancing blow from that once...

I don't think H&S would allow them in this era (the workshop closed in the mid-1990s, but I think the flypresses would have been banned before then).

Cheers, Vann.

jimi43":1zdde8m2 said:
That's how I see it anyway..but to be sure...I think someone should buy it! :mrgreen:
Jim - thanks very much for this explanation. However, with the greatest respect, I hereby reject it. My reason for doing so is because I think an insane old drill with massive spinning balls that might take your head off at any second just sounds so... COOL! :mrgreen:

it's a "Darwinator" Drill - it would be great in a horror film, eh? - but unfortunately it wouldn't be allowed nowadays. (Imagine the carnage if it had an electric motor!)

condeesteso - BUY IT! and please ensure you ask the vendor how he works his balls, and does he polish them every night? A load of random strangers on the internet are discussing them and need answers. :lol:

we need to see it working on YouTube, by the way!

[but seriously... i think i get it Jim... almost! ta.]

Yes I believe it's a Darwinator. I think that is right because natural selection was put there to rid a species of the thick ones, and if these balls spin (I think they do) and you lean forward and nut yourself severely, then mankind was better off without you. Darwin said that, I simply reiterate.
And do you guys realise this drill is actually in France...? No, thought not.

very funny... I don't need google to translate that. Would I explain I am enquiring about the drill first, or just go straight in with this? What if he has actually got....

Start with the drill, then tell him it's being discussed on the internet, then tell him a bunch of men are *really* interested in his balls. Maybe he'll do you a nice deal to get you off the phone quickly.

It's totally not creepy or awkward, so don't worry about it man. ;)

It's a good job we're not discussing a flywheel controlled auto-feed drill; those things are hard to understand when they're right in front of you.

BugBear (owner)

bugbear":28diqxyk said:
It's a good job we're not discussing a flywheel controlled auto-feed drill; those things are hard to understand when they're right in front of you.

BugBear (owner)

no picture... it doesnt exist!

marcros":1es4uypn said:
bugbear":1es4uypn said:

BugBear (owner)

no picture... it doesnt exist!

I'll see what I can do - but be warned, the picture won't help. You will misinterpret what you see. :-"

BugBear

Geeesus! And I thought Elgin had problems! :mrgreen:

I think it is now a matter of personal crusade Douglas...we need to know how this works....

Ask him if it is an amphibian drill..... #-o

Jim

Back