FOR SALE:- 24" Wadkin Rip Saw (photos have now been add

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We used to have one of those in the Workshop where I started.

As all the softwood was bought in in either 9x1, 9x2 or 6x3 the rip saw was used to take that down to usable size for windows, frames etc. It would also make light work of any large hardwood boards that were pushed through it.

All other sawing was done with a radial arm or dimension/panel saw

Jason

Thanks Richard. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the Norm example. I just wondered if this Wadkin was used for anything other than ripping.

Blister":uef9lwhr said:
no extraction on the crown guard? as i said it is a nice saw. just has no place in a modern workshop.

Hi . cant see that clewlowm has any intention of buying the saw , just making comments !!

I too have no intention of buying the saw Blister and I'm also just making comments. My comments offer an opposite point of view to the one made by clewlowm.

Assuming the machine is functional, which the seller states it is, and the riving knife is available, then in nearly every respect bar two relatively small modifications to meet contemporary H&S requirements, the machine could undertake an extremely useful role within a busy production workshop. That old Wadkin, assuming it's in generally in good condition, will rip 3" or 4" stock all day long without complaint as I can vouch having used what I believe is the same model, or a very similar model, in workshops.

In a days work of almost continuous ripping the two or three operators needed to keep the machine busy would want to take a break long before the machine gives up. To use that machine to its greatest effect adding a powerfeeder might be a viable option. Slainte.

clewlowm":1unfhyaj said:
no extraction on the crown guard? as i said it is a nice saw. just has no place in a modern workshop.

I agree totally with Richard's comments.

This is exactly the kind of saw you would want in a busy commercial workshop where a entire area is given over to stock preparation. This rip-saw used in combination with a planer/thicknesser or multi-head planer could keep a large workshop supplied with dimensioned timber.

Other, more familiar looking table saws would be used by the cabinetmakers or joiners in the course of actually making the end product, but for converting rough-sawn timber into dimensioned components all day long this is the kind of beast you need.

The age is irrelevant. It's probably 60 years old and good for another 100 or so. A brake would cost maybe £150 and the job of fitting a crown guard with a dust extraction outlet is one that any metalworking shop could complete in an hour or so.

If I had more space I'd be very tempted.

Brad

Back